Menu

Plastic gift card in the mail or electronic gift card?

Kassia

Which type of gift card is preferable for a young adult?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of gift card is preferable for a young adult?

• Plastic Gift Card
    • Electronic Gift Card
    • Overthinking this

I am buying a gift card for my son's girlfriend's birthday.  I don't know if it's better to send it through USPS with a birthday card but then risk it getting lost in the mail or send an electronic gift card to her email address with a gift message, which seems less personal.  I don't know if young adults prefer one over the other.  

ETA:  I'm only sending a birthday card in the mail if we get the plastic gift card.  Otherwise, I'll just send a message with the e-gift card.

Edited by Kassia

2 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

I said overthinking this before reading 😉 I think in this case it’s totally your preference. If you’re sending the card anyway, I guess put the gift inside?

I am not going to send a card if we get the electronic gift card.  I will edit my post to clarify that.

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

I am not going to send a card if we get the electronic gift card.  I will edit my post to clarify that.

Ah, then for me, it comes down to whether the birthday card is important to her, or not. But then, I’m sure you would send an email or text with all the things you’d write in a card. So, yep, depends if she is a card person or not!

• Thanks 1

We have mail thefts in the past and a postman (out of three regulars) that tends to put mail in the wrong mailbox. So I would go for electronic gift card as that would reach the recipient safely for sure. If she likes receiving birthday cards, I would still send a card.

• Thanks 1

I greatly prefer electronic gift cards, and so do my kids (ages 16 & 20). Basically they carry their phones and one CC, and they don't like carrying a lot of cards.

They also really don't care about paper birthday or Christmas cards. Usually if they get one in the mail, I will read it to them and then it gets tossed. I don't generally send cards either — I will usually mail a sympathy card, but all other sentiments & events (birthday, Christmas, get well, congratulations, etc.) are handled with an email or phone call.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!  I decided to send her an electronic gift card.  She's very environmentally conscious so I think she'd prefer that over the plastic gift card and the card in the mail.  I hadn't thought about that until people here suggested sending her a separate card if I thought she'd like it.