Menu

Returning Roomba after 2 weeks

JustEm

I bought a Roomba and have loved it for the last two weeks.  I got into the routine of having it do the kitchen and dining room every evening after dinner and then during the day it would rotate rooms.  But then last night I was cleaning the brushes underneath and the rubber one was torn to shreds.  Maybe it was a defect with that particular piece but that Roomba is way too expensive to risk in just being a cheap product.  I'm so disappointed but oh well.

Now I need vacuum recommendations.  We have two dogs that shed a lot, 5 kids who get crumbs everywhere,  carpet, hardwood, and laminate.  Thanks in advanced.

I got this Shark after WAY too much research, lol. It has the duo clean, which was a must for me - it cleans hard floors SO well. I can really feel how much cleaner my floors are. This one is slightly lighter than their regular lift away, which I need. And comes with the powered pet brush for upholstery/car/etc which most models don't. Great price for what it is, and Vacuum Wars on youtube rates it as one of their all time favorite vacuums. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWJD64W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Or, going another direction, if you just are looking for quick and easy to grab and go, I used to have this cordless model, that comes with two batteries. That way one is charing while you use the other, so you always have a charged battery. Being able to grab and quickly vacuum without unwinding/winding a cord meant I vacuumed a LOT more. But...the on board tools are awkward to use so when it finally broke I got the corded shark I recommended above because I REALLY wanted something with good onboard tools. https://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Cleaner-Lithium-Cordless-BH51120PC/dp/B07BTMM9G3/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hoover%2Bair&qid=1552703970&s=home-garden&sr=1-6&th=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found the vacuum wars review of the shark I linked above. Also, I forgot that one of the best things about it is that there is a special access port to the brush ABOVE the brushes. So you don't have to flip the darned vacuum over to remove the brush roll and clean it! It snaps out SO easily, and then there is a tool there to cut any hair off. It's ridiculous how well engineered it is. The whole vacuum is that way, all the parts do what they should, and the hose comes off into sections if you need to clear out a clog, which is awesome. That said I have yet to have it clog up, where as my previous vacuum, the cordless I listed, clogged every 5 minutes it seemed. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Did the Roomba eat some kind of toy??? I can't fathom how it destroyed the rubber roller in two weeks, mercy. 

I agree.  That is so surprising.  I've had mine for 3-4yrs and it's still working fine.  My rubber rollers take a lot of beating with legos and mini dinos plus lots of my long hair .  I think it must be a defect.  

I also have a Shark vacuum.  I love both the Roomba and the Shark

Edited by PrincessMommy

You have a defective Roomba. Either exchange it or buy a Shark. I bought DDs on Groupon and it is a wonderful vacuum. I hate Dyson, unless you are willing to pay $400+ for a high end model.  Dds Shark was about $100 on Groupon as a refurb. There are lots of models of Sharks out there so definitely read what the various models have to offer. I wanted the wider cleaning path and detachable body so she could use it for stairs, car, etc.  We also wanted bagless since her husband is Air Force and they could be sent anywhere in the world, and didn't want to have to worry about buying bags.

4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Did the Roomba eat some kind of toy??? I can't fathom how it destroyed the rubber roller in two weeks, mercy. 

4 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I agree.  That is so surprising.  I've had mine for 3-4yrs and it's still working fine.  My rubber rollers take a lot of beating with legos and mini dinos plus lots of my long hair .  I think it must be a defect.  

I also have a Shark vacuum.  I love both the Roomba and the Shark

3 hours ago, Tap said:

You have a defective Roomba. Either exchange it or buy a Shark. I bought DDs on Groupon and it is a wonderful vacuum. I hate Dyson, unless you are willing to pay $400+ for a high end model.  Dds Shark was about $100 on Groupon as a refurb. There are lots of models of Sharks out there so definitely read what the various models have to offer. I wanted the wider cleaning path and detachable body so she could use it for stairs, car, etc.  We also wanted bagless since her husband is Air Force and they could be sent anywhere in the world, and didn't want to have to worry about buying bags.

The only toys found in it any time I emptied it were legos  but the tiny pieces, no bigger than a pony bead, which should not have destroyed the roller.  I'm sure it is a defect but I really can't justify keeping it with the possibility of being stuck with a poorly designed product for my needs.

It seems that the Shark is pretty well regarded so I am going to research those.  

4 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

The only toys found in it any time I emptied it were legos  but the tiny pieces, no bigger than a pony bead

Yeah, if you get a piece in between the rollers and it sits there rolling between them OVER AND OVER, yes, it's going to rip up the roller. I never just run my roomba. I have ds pick up his floor. I just had him pick up the floor so I can run it. I agree that if you want something that can hoover up chunks of stuff you need a different unit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I found the vacuum wars review of the shark I linked above. Also, I forgot that one of the best things about it is that there is a special access port to the brush ABOVE the brushes. So you don't have to flip the darned vacuum over to remove the brush roll and clean it! It snaps out SO easily, and then there is a tool there to cut any hair off. It's ridiculous how well engineered it is. The whole vacuum is that way, all the parts do what they should, and the hose comes off into sections if you need to clear out a clog, which is awesome. That said I have yet to have it clog up, where as my previous vacuum, the cordless I listed, clogged every 5 minutes it seemed. 

Oh my goodness, this may change my opinion on Shark. The brush roll cleaning on my current one requires taking out like 10 tiny screws and dissasbling our vacuum. Hmmm.