Menu

Movies (comedies) about women and work?

Jenny in Florida

Work is kind of sucky for me right now, but I also kind of can't stop thinking about it. Traditionally "escapist" entertainment doesn't take my mind off of stuff, because I just tune out the book/movie/etc. in order to continue obsessing about being unhappy at work.

What I really crave is things to read/watch/listen to that have to do with women succeeding at work, preferably things with a comedic tone. I've already been through all of the "classics" -- 9 to 5, Working Girl, Baby Boom -- and a bunch of others I can't remember right now. 

I have access to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime and, of course, RedBox if I feel like venturing out.

What should I look for?

16 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I've enjoyed several episodes of Great News on Netflix 

My husband really enjoyed Spy with Melissa McCarthy.  I haven't seen it yet.  It's available at Amazon but not for free.

I liked Great News, too. 

And I've seen Spy a couple of times. It wasn't until after I posted that I realized it also fit the theme.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

“I feel bad” is a current comedy that has bits of this theme.  More balancing work and kids.  I wouldn’t rave about it but it’s ok.

You know, I think of myself as a person who doesn't watch a ton of TV, but I have to admit I've seen that one, too.  [Insert sheepish smile here.]

I, too, liked it okay, enough that I was hopeful it would stick around a while and have some time to develop. 

6 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Veep!

I've always kind of had the impression that this one might be a little too acidic for my tastes, but I'm willing to give it a try. It looks like only the first couple of seasons are available on Prime. Do you happen to know it it's available to stream anywhere else without signing up for the HBO service or buying episodes/seasons individually?

17 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

You know, I think of myself as a person who doesn't watch a ton of TV, but I have to admit I've seen that one, too.  [Insert sheepish smile here.]

I, too, liked it okay, enough that I was hopeful it would stick around a while and have some time to develop. 

I like literally never watch tv but I use the tv apps and get on a series and just binge watch that for a while.  And don’t watch anything else.  It’s kind of how I read too.  I will get onto an author and read everything they ever write before moving on.

What about the sitcom Superstore with America Ferrera? I've only watched one or two episodes, but I've heard that it is good.

The movie Second Act with Jennifer Lopez is very focused on her working life, though there are personal storylines, too. Will be released on DVD later this month.

Morning Glory is about Rachel McAdams working to improve a stale morning news show anchored by Harrison Ford.

The Devil Wears Prada

Edited by Storygirl

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

What about the sitcom Superstore with America Ferrera? I've only watched one or two episodes, but I've heard that it is good.

The movie Second Act with Jennifer Lopez is very focused on her working life, though there are personal storylines, too. Will be released on DVD later this month.

Morning Glory is about Rachel McAdams working to improve a stale morning news show anchored by Harrison Ford.

The Devil Wears Prada

Good thoughts, all.

I really like Superstore and have watched the whole series thus far. (In fact, I watched a bunch of the early episodes twice, because I introduced my husband to the series and re-watched while he caught up with me.)

I've seen and enjoyed Morning Glory, I could happily re-watch that one, except that it doesn't seem to be available for streaming on any platform to which I have access. Neither is The Devil Wears Prada, sadly, because I actually have never seen that one.

I do have Second Act on my to-watch list, though, as soon as RedBox lets me know it's available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I like literally never watch tv but I use the tv apps and get on a series and just binge watch that for a while.  And don’t watch anything else.  It’s kind of how I read too.  I will get onto an author and read everything they ever write before moving on.

Oh, I'm a big-time binge-er. It's just that I tend to lump everything I watch on any device via streaming or broadcast or whatever together under the general heading of "TV," and I think of myself as not watching "a lot" (especially compared to some of my family and friends). Yet then I sit here and respond to most of these suggestions by saying I've already watched that one. I guess this means I'm consuming more than I am aware of.

In terms of reading, I'm currently on an Austen kick, re-reading some of her novels but also novels related to/based on her originals and an occasional biography. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

...I'm currently on an Austen kick, re-reading some of her novels but also novels related to/based on her originals and an occasional biography. 

I've enjoyed the Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mysteries by Bebris. Also -- not a book but a movie: Austenland. Another in my list of my top favorite films -- the actors in the the secondary roles have me ROTFLOL.

13 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I've enjoyed the Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mysteries by Bebris. Also -- not a book but a movie: Austenland. Another in my list of my top favorite films -- the actors in the the secondary roles have me ROTFLOL.

So, actually, Austenland the film was based on a novel. I enjoyed both the book and the movie.

And it appears there is a sequel to the book. 

Side note: I'm currently reading Unmarriageable, which is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice set in relatively contemporary Pakistan. It's not "great," but it's good. And I'm loving the audiobook version of Jane Austen at Home.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

So, actually, Austenland the film was based on a novel. I enjoyed both the book and the movie. And it appears there is a sequel to the book. 

Read both! One of the rare cases where I think the film was better than the original book, although the book was quite adequate as a fluff read. The sequel was not as well-written, and was disturbing, with the heroine attracted to an abusive/brutal male who is a sort of combo of Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) and Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre). (:0