Menu

X post: dyslexia resources

The forum is acting weird for me and I am certain this topic has come up before but I’m having difficulty accessing older threads. 

I’m beginning to suspect my 6.5 year old might be dyslexic. I have absolutely zero experience with this but when I spoke with his speech therapist yesterday, she said she was beginning to suspect dyslexia as well. I think I’m going to pursue an evaluation. 

In the meantime, what are some good resources for learning about dyslexia?  Books, links, old threads?

Yeah, we lost a lot of the old posts from the board with the software change. Even doing google site searches no longer pops things up. 

So now for some data. The ADA is going to want that dc IDENTIFIED between K5 and first. So I don't know the grade of your dc, but it sounds like she's in that window where it's about time. I would NOT be letting someone tell you 3rd grade. 

The way to get it identified is with psych testing. There are some SLPs who will diagnose, especially if they hang out their shingle saying they specialize in literacy or do OG tutoring. Typically a psych is going to run IQ, achievement, and a CTOPP or some kind of other screener to sort it out. There are some new tests like the TILLS that can give you a lot of information in one test, wow. That's going to be with an SLP typically. 

There are your usual haunts for learning about dyslexia, so fine do that. But personally I'd be beating the bush on getting this diagnosed and beginning INTERVENTION. My ds was diagnosed at newly 6. That's on the early side I think, but it was in a larger context that was pretty screaming. What you DON'T have to do is wait another two years or something. 

Part of the reason the new TILLS is popular is because it includes so many areas, including narrative language. So if your insurance will cover an SLP eval but is slower to cover psych, then that's a way to get info faster. But for that you'd be looking specifically for an SLP who specializes in literacy. And if you don't get that, then you can ask the psych about narrative language testing. Some psychs own the TNL now, which is a thorough narrative language test.

• Like 2

There are quite a few books on dyslexia.  I got the most out of Sally Shaywitz Understanding Dyslexia.

I find it easier to search here by using google and having welltrainedmind/forums as part of search terms, rather than trying the search feature here.

On March 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM, Pen said:

At your dd’s age, getting her started with Www.talkingfingers.com might be helpful for typing and sound / letter work.  

Yes, Read, Write, Type is great!

https://www.talkingfingers.com/read-write-type/

Links to free OG resources from M A Rooney Foundation, other good links:

https://www.smartspeechtherapy.com/free-literacy-resources-for-parents-and-professionals/

If your speech therapist can do some PA exercises and give you PA homework, that would help a lot.  Take the PAST test and get the whole book if any level is failed, great book,   an amazing amount of Phonemic Awareness activities, they go to a very high level.

Test:

http://www.maspweb.com/resources/Documents/PAST%202016.pdf …

Book, also has more versions of the test along with PA exercises and nonsense words:

https://www.thereadingleague.org/shop/equipped-for-reading-success-2016-book-by-david-kilpatrick/

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

Thank you for this question OP. If I can add a couple of questions. Do public schools test for dyslexia or should I go somewhere else? What do I look for to get good testing but on a limited budget. 

Yes and no. Full testing will include testing for dyslexia, but they don't call it that in schools anymore. Dyslexia is technically a medical diagnosis, not educational, at this point. So instead of a dyslexia diagnosis they will diagnose "Specific Learning Disability - Reading" which is the same thing as dyslexia, just a different name. Dysgraphia would be "Specific Learning Disability - Writing". Etc etc. 

You can google and find samples of how to word the letter to ask for full testing. We did the full testing through our school, and the testing was good, confirmed things I suspected, but the advice for intervention was AWFUL. So I took the results and ran, lol. 

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Yes and no. Full testing will include testing for dyslexia, but they don't call it that in schools anymore. Dyslexia is technically a medical diagnosis, not educational, at this point. So instead of a dyslexia diagnosis they will diagnose "Specific Learning Disability - Reading" which is the same thing as dyslexia, just a different name. Dysgraphia would be "Specific Learning Disability - Writing". Etc etc. 

You can google and find samples of how to word the letter to ask for full testing. We did the full testing through our school, and the testing was good, confirmed things I suspected, but the advice for intervention was AWFUL. So I took the results and ran, lol. 

Great to know 🙂 Thank you!

8 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

Thank you for this question OP. If I can add a couple of questions. Do public schools test for dyslexia or should I go somewhere else? What do I look for to get good testing but on a limited budget. 

You have two separate issues there. One is what the diagnosis is and how to find that out, and two is whether you could then get IEPs for them through the ps and take the Jon Peterson scholarship. To begin the IEP process you merely need evidence of a disability to compel the school. It could be a diagnosis, and something from a qualified reading tutor would suffice, say someone running the CTOPP and other tools and running a brief report (1 page). Around here you can get that from an SLP who does OG who will do that for $75. You can take that to the ps, begin the IEP process, and within 120 days boom you're there. 

Your other options are full-blown private evals OR starting with the ps. If you start with your ps, you can get people who have no experience with homeschoolers, who say bizarre things like that they don't have to eval, blah blah. And of course you have the hurdle that you do need to show enough evidence to compel them to eval. The ps also has the right to insist in RTI, which you can then say has to be done within the timeline of the IEP. RTI=response to intervention, and the basic issue is they don't know you from adam and don't know if the scores are due to lack of instruction.

So think bigger picture, which is how you set yourself up to go through the IEP process and get the scholarship to then get each kid intervention.