Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Rachel

X post: dyslexia resources

The forum is acting weird for me and I am certain this topic has come up before but I’m having difficulty accessing older threads. 

I’m beginning to suspect my 6.5 year old might be dyslexic. I have absolutely zero experience with this but when I spoke with his speech therapist yesterday, she said she was beginning to suspect dyslexia as well. I think I’m going to pursue an evaluation. 

In the meantime, what are some good resources for learning about dyslexia?  Books, links, old threads?

Yeah, we lost a lot of the old posts from the board with the software change. Even doing google site searches no longer pops things up. 

So now for some data. The ADA is going to want that dc IDENTIFIED between K5 and first. So I don't know the grade of your dc, but it sounds like she's in that window where it's about time. I would NOT be letting someone tell you 3rd grade. 

The way to get it identified is with psych testing. There are some SLPs who will diagnose, especially if they hang out their shingle saying they specialize in literacy or do OG tutoring. Typically a psych is going to run IQ, achievement, and a CTOPP or some kind of other screener to sort it out. There are some new tests like the TILLS that can give you a lot of information in one test, wow. That's going to be with an SLP typically. 

There are your usual haunts for learning about dyslexia, so fine do that. But personally I'd be beating the bush on getting this diagnosed and beginning INTERVENTION. My ds was diagnosed at newly 6. That's on the early side I think, but it was in a larger context that was pretty screaming. What you DON'T have to do is wait another two years or something. 

Part of the reason the new TILLS is popular is because it includes so many areas, including narrative language. So if your insurance will cover an SLP eval but is slower to cover psych, then that's a way to get info faster. But for that you'd be looking specifically for an SLP who specializes in literacy. And if you don't get that, then you can ask the psych about narrative language testing. Some psychs own the TNL now, which is a thorough narrative language test.

• Like 2

There are quite a few books on dyslexia.  I got the most out of Sally Shaywitz Understanding Dyslexia.

I find it easier to search here by using google and having welltrainedmind/forums as part of search terms, rather than trying the search feature here.

At your dd’s age, getting her started with Www.talkingfingers.com might be helpful for typing and sound / letter work.  

• Like 2

On March 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM, Pen said:

At your dd’s age, getting her started with Www.talkingfingers.com might be helpful for typing and sound / letter work.  

Yes, Read, Write, Type is great!

https://www.talkingfingers.com/read-write-type/

Links to free OG resources from M A Rooney Foundation, other good links:

https://www.smartspeechtherapy.com/free-literacy-resources-for-parents-and-professionals/

If your speech therapist can do some PA exercises and give you PA homework, that would help a lot.  Take the PAST test and get the whole book if any level is failed, great book,   an amazing amount of Phonemic Awareness activities, they go to a very high level.

Test:

http://www.maspweb.com/resources/Documents/PAST%202016.pdf …

Book, also has more versions of the test along with PA exercises and nonsense words:

https://www.thereadingleague.org/shop/equipped-for-reading-success-2016-book-by-david-kilpatrick/