Menu

What meals would work for our family?

Dmmetler

DD14 has decided she’s a vegetarian, which is fine, except that my blood sugar is much better and my immune system happier if I can stay relatively high protein/low carb (so i’m Basically an obligate carnivore with some low carb vegetables added), and DH needs to be low fat (so lots of lean chicken, vegetables, and rice or potatoes). I’d like to at least occasionally be able to eat a meal together without having to cook three separate things or go to a restaurant! Does anyone have any ideas? So far, Omelettes and taco salads are about all I’ve been able to come up with. 

Homemade pizza might work- veggie for your dd, you can add some meat to yours and dh’s, and use minimal cheese to keep dh’s low fat. A white sauce chicken pizza is delicious and dd could have broccoli and other veggies on her part. 

Burrito bowls would work for all of you. Rice, beans, lean chicken cooked w cumin, coriander, etc, adding in avocado, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, olives, sliced bell pepper and onion (raw or sautéed). 

Baked potato with toppings- broccoli, cheese, shredded rotisserie chicken, etc. 

A vegetarian spaghetti sauce over pasta and you could add some chicken or meatballs made w lean ground beef. 

‘Grilled sandwiches- grilled veggie and cheese, adding a slice of lean deli turkey to yours and dh’s. 

Roast a large pan of veggies- a variety - and serve with a starch and you and dh could add some meat, like some reheated rotisserie chicken, 

Rather than think of it as cooking three meals, I would think of it as cooking a large meal of which some people will only be eating certain components.  Such as roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and mixed, roasted vegetables (broccoli, green beans, red peppers, and throw some canned beans to roast in one corner for your daughter).  Then DH could eat some of all of it, you could eat chicken and veggies, and your daughter could have potatoes (with some shredded cheese) with veggies and beans.

The other thing you could try is some parallel dishes that can be made with and without meat.  So, maybe, chili.  If you use two pans side by side, and add most of the ingredients to both, then it is hardly any extra work to throw beans in one and beef in the other.  This could also work well for stir-fry - marinate chicken and tofu separately, and then make two pans of stir-fry that are almost the same except for the meat/tofu.

Wendy

• Like 4

I think you’ll do best with modular meals where everyone can vary the amount of topping.  For example you could do baked potatoes and your vegetarian daughter can top hers with beans and salad, maybe sour cream and cheese, you can add as much bacon/shredded chicken and cheese as you need and your dh can load up on the vegetables and lean chicken and skip the cheese and sour cream.  You can serve steak, a side salad and wedges with a nuts and seeds topping for the salad that your dh doesn’t eat.

• Like 2

Caesar salad.  Low carbers get chicken as a topping.  Kiddo gets drained, marinated white beans.

Romaine lettuce with blue cheese dressing.  Low carbers get strips of medium rare flank steak as a topping.  Kiddo gets extra blue cheese chunks and also drained, canned arbanzo beans.

Cheese ravs with alfredo sauce are good for all.  

Barley is one of the lower glycemic index carbs, and I'd be inclined to make barley pilaf instead of rice pilaf, using that Better Than Buoillon veggie stock, onions, garlic, and parmesan cheese.  It's maybe more of a side dish, though.

Asparagus fritata.

Goat cheese quiche (may be a little high carb with the crust, though.)

Omlets are good if you like them (I don't)--and then you can make them to order at the table.

Cheese fondue, although the bread makes it a bit carby.  But you can cut the bread small to maximize the cheese to bread ratio.

• Like 1

I suggest you look into Amy's for quick meals.  I think they are all vegetarian, some vegan, at least some if not all gluten free etc.  The variety and quality are good.  I really enjoy their Indian meals and their cheddar broccoli bake.  While they do include starch / carbs, the ratio of protein to carbs seems pretty healthy.