Menu

talk to me about air fryers

kfeusse

Who has one?  Do you like it?  What do you make in it? What brand do you have? What else can you tell me about this appliance?

I am not into getting unnecessary appliances...but my daughter has a corn allergy and lots of foods (unless I make them) are off limits to her...like french fries and potato chips.  So, I am wondering if this appliance would give her more options.

thanks. 

I have one. It was on sale at Sam's Club for $30. I think it is a Dash brand. So far we've just made frozen (store bought) french fries. They come out tasty and crisp. I didn't pay attention one time when I removed the drawer and shook the fries and put it back in - and I put my hand on the hot vent to stabilize the appliance while pushing drawer back in. Ouch - but that was my fault for being careless. My youngest has made sweet potato fries with it (cut up your own real sweet potato) and they turned out better than we use the oven. 

Was it a wise purchase? Probably not for us because we don't eat a lot of fried foods. I fell for the sale thing and just wanted to try it out. I keep meaning to try it for chicken tenders, but I haven't yet - mostly because we rarely eat those things (except drive-thru Raising Cane's or Slim Chickens). 

I bought one at Costco. Our oven really heats up the kitchen so this will be great for the summer. I make sweet potato fries or wedges weekly. I also did zucchini wedges the other day that were very good. The wings I made for the Super Bowl were amazing! I will be excited to make 'fried' chicken thighs later. 

We have one (can’t remember the brand). Dh uses it more than I do, as he has to work away from home a lot and stays in a hotel. He takes the air fryer so he can eat healthy in a hotel. He makes lots of meat in it. One time, he even cooked a steak and said it was good (not as good as grilling, but still good!). I’ve made lots of veggies in the air fryer. Both Brussels Sprouts and broccoli have been favorites (toss in some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder...yum!). I think it would work great with French fries, using sliced potatoes.

5 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I bought one on an impulse Black Friday deal. I really like it. We mostly use it for chicken tenders/fries/chicken patties for sandwiches. It is easy to use, and fast. Easy clean up.

It has mostly been used just for quick lunches during the week. 

So, how quick is quick?   Quicker than an oven, because it does not need so long to preheat or quick like a microwave?  

And, along those lines @Just Kate how long did you need to cook your Brussel's sprouts?  I do mine in regular oven for 30 on 400.

1 minute ago, Familia said:

So, how quick is quick?   Quicker than an oven, because it does not need so long to preheat or quick like a microwave?  

And, along those lines @Just Kate how long did you need to cook your Brussel's sprouts?  I do mine in regular oven for 30 on 400.

Quick because it doesn't need to preheat and I think it cooks a little faster. But just a little. Not like a microwave. 

I honestly don't know how long things need to cook for. I just plug the thing in and put the food in and just kind of watch it. I think it has a default setting of about 20 minutes which is about what the fries and chicken take. So without the preheat, it is faster than the oven. Sorry I'm not more helpful. I haven't used it for too much yet and when I do use it I am definitely not precise. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Familia said:

Quicker than the oven for sure. I believe they cook in less than 10 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

Just an FYI:  If you have a convection setting on your oven, you do not need an air fryer.

I did some research, because I really knew nothing about airfryers until this thread.  Reading reviews on Amazon led me to understand that these are simply small convention ovens.  (I guess I thought they did some ‘magic’ in there=). I hopped on over to Wikipedia to learn more.  Some models agitate the food, but, generally, these only afford me a little energy savings, and it’s small size made it a little more efficient.  

So,  if your oven has a convection setting, wiki taught me that one simply needed a tray called an ‘Air crisper tray’ to get about the same results.  Maybe also an oil mister.  With those being only $20 that is quite a better deal if you have that feature on your regular oven, and you can make enough food for a crowd.

ETA - @Just Kate has a great idea...what a handy portable oven, though!

Edited by Familia