Menu

NYC on a budget? Suggestions welcome

Lady Florida.

Dh has some use it or lose it vacation time and we've been wanting to visit New York City for some time. Actually I've been wanting to visit. He's not a big city lover but he does love museums so I have him on board based on museums we'll be able to visit. I know it can be an expensive trip and am not expecting it to be like some other cheaper vacations we've taken but I'd still like to stretch our dollar as much as possible. 

Yes, I've been googling and found a number of sites for how to vacation there on a budget but am also looking for real experiences. The Hive often comes through so I thought I'd ask you all for suggestions. I have several questions.

What is the best time of year to go? We're thinking either April, May, Sept., or Oct. Which, if any, of those months is better/best?

I've been looking at Airbnb options, Apple Core hotels, and a few others. Any suggestions where in the city to stay as well as what type of accommodations to look for? It will probably just be the two of us unless ds 21 can get time off work to come with us.

Is it worth getting one of the tourist passes like the New York City pass? That one looked like it had the most places we'd be interested in plus seemed the most flexible. One other one I was looking at you had to use on consecutive days. 

I haven't flown since 2009 and dh since the mid-90s. Neither of us has ever flown into NYC. Does it matter if we go to LaGuardia or Kennedy or should we just choose the one that gives us the best price on an airline we're willing to use?

There are plenty of free things to do and we'll definitely be doing some, but what's worth paying for? I really want to go to Ellis Island because I have an ancestor's name on the wall there. Is it worth the visit for other reasons or should we skip it? And what else is worth the cost?

FOOD! I can't wait to get NY pizza in Little Italy. I grew up in Northeast NJ, 20 minutes from NYC so I know how great the food is but I was 13 when we moved to Florida. What other kinds of food (preferably ethnic foods not usually found in Florida or the Southern U.S.) should we go for?

I'm probably forgetting to ask something so if there's anything else I didn't bring up feel free to add it. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

If you come around Memorial Day there's a lot of activities for Fleet Week. I, personally, hate Fleet Week (every so often they forget to warn us in advance and I end up freaking out in the basement because somebody flew their plane over our house - this may surprise you to hear, but ever since 9/11 I've absolutely hated the sound of jets and any low-flying planes) but I know many people enjoy that sort of thing.

Otherwise it's all about the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In the olden days, the Indian restaurants in the Lower-Eastside were really inexpensive and good. There were also cheap/good Ukranian places in that same general area.

Do hit the great Zabar's market on the Upper-Westside for delicious "picnic" foods. Not strictly "inexpensive," but great cheese etc that's to die for and cheaper than eating out.

Standing room tickets at the Metropolitan Opera are awesome. The fat-cats often leave after the first act and will often give away seats if one hangs by the aisles/exits (or you simply act as a seat filler).

The subway is a great way to get around. Wear comfortable walking shoes.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Yes, of course you want a Metrocard. What do you plan on doing otherwise, walking everywhere? I'd go ahead and get a weekly unlimited rather than a pay-per-ride - then you don't have to budget your trips.

I meant was the pass a better option than paying each time we use the subway. Usually passes are the way to go but not always.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I think it sums up to: are you making more than an average of two trips a day? If yes, get the unlimited. Honestly, I'd get it just so you have your budget set and don't have to worry about adding more money to your card. Among other things, there's a slight bonus every time you add cash to the card, but it doesn't ever add up neatly and if you're not careful you end up leaving the city with a Metrocard that has, like, 33 cents on it.

• Thanks 1

So basic, but I beg you to eat some real bagels while you’re there! I grew up about an hour from the city, but plenty of places had their breads delivered from NY every day. Now I’m 2 hours away and suffer from bagel deficiency.

September is a fantastic time, IMO. October is just about as good.

We recently spent an entire day at the Museum of Natural History and want to go back to see the parts we didn’t have time for. We also know people who took that day to cover two museums, the park, had lunch and dinner, and time to sit around waiting for the bus. So I’d think about what kind of “lookers” you are when trying to plan the places you’ll go.

I do think Ellis Island is worth it, though I haven’t been since I was a teen. I have heard that the 9/11 memorial is a big ordeal that has frustrated many people I know, but I haven’t done it myself.

I personally feel a Broadway show should be required. Or even an off-Broadway show.

• Like 1

We chose to stay in Manhattan and there was so much to see within a 20-30 minute walk and we like to walk so we just walked, walked, walked.  There really is so much to see that doesn't require an entry and we focused on that for our first trip.  We did take the subway but not enough for a pass.  The ferry to Staten Island is the best view of the Statue (and no need to pay fees, it is free).  We paid for hotel, food, transportation to and from the airport, and then dd and I saw a play.  A few subway trips but not many?  We kept it simple.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Attolia said:

We chose to stay in Manhattan and we walked a lot.  We did take the subway but not enough for a pass.  There was so much to see within a 20-30 minute walk and we like to walk so we just walked, walked, walked.  There really is so much to see that doesn't require an entry and we focused on that for our first trip.  The ferry to Staten Island is the best view of the Statue (and no need to pay fees, it is free).  We paid for hotel, food, transportation to and from the airport, and then dd and I saw a play.  A few subway trips but not many?  We kept it simple.  

The free things.....

I loved the Ferry to Staten Island....

And I loved the The High Line.  I dream of going back and doing that walk with dh without the boys running ahead of us.  LOL

I also wanted to spend more time in Central Park....again the boys weren't that interested.

And we loved the walk over Brooklyn Bridge.  Just incredible.

Almost free----The hotel that has the rotating restaurant on top...Marriott?  We went in and had a drink, but the boys were starving so we let them get the fruit and cheese bar. They ate and ate and ate.  🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

So basic, but I beg you to eat some real bagels while you’re there! I grew up about an hour from the city, but plenty of places had their breads delivered from NY every day. Now I’m 2 hours away and suffer from bagel deficiency.

September is a fantastic time, IMO. October is just about as good.

We recently spent an entire day at the Museum of Natural History and want to go back to see the parts we didn’t have time for. We also know people who took that day to cover two museums, the park, had lunch and dinner, and time to sit around waiting for the bus. So I’d think about what kind of “lookers” you are when trying to plan the places you’ll go.

I do think Ellis Island is worth it, though I haven’t been since I was a teen. I have heard that the 9/11 memorial is a big ordeal that has frustrated many people I know, but I haven’t done it myself.

I personally feel a Broadway show should be required. Or even an off-Broadway show.

How could I forget bagels? I'm sure I'd remember once we're there. September seems like a good time to go. The only thing that would make me hesitate is not wanting to be away from home if a hurricane is heading our way. We ere in Tennessee the year Hurricane Wilma came and got home the day before. Fortunately we were on the very end of the storm and didn't get much but there's always a chance when we go away in hurricane season.

I know dh will love the Museum of Natural History and we hope to see a Broadway or off-Broadway show. 

40 minutes ago, Attolia said:

We chose to stay in Manhattan and there was so much to see within a 20-30 minute walk and we like to walk so we just walked, walked, walked.  There really is so much to see that doesn't require an entry and we focused on that for our first trip.  We did take the subway but not enough for a pass.  The ferry to Staten Island is the best view of the Statue (and no need to pay fees, it is free).  We paid for hotel, food, transportation to and from the airport, and then dd and I saw a play.  A few subway trips but not many?  We kept it simple.  

I'm thinking we want to stay in Manhattan.

31 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

The free things.....

I loved the Ferry to Staten Island....

And I loved the The High Line.  I dream of going back and doing that walk with dh without the boys running ahead of us.  LOL

I also wanted to spend more time in Central Park....again the boys weren't that interested.

And we loved the walk over Brooklyn Bridge.  Just incredible.

Almost free----The hotel that has the rotating restaurant on top...Marriott?  We went in and had a drink, but the boys were starving so we let them get the fruit and cheese bar. They ate and ate and ate.  🙂

I'm probably the one who will make our itinerary or at least come up with a list for dh to agree on. I hope we can get in all of those free outdoor activities.