Menu

Looking for book recommendations for 11-12 yearl old..

housemouse

Looking for clean fiction reads with werewolves or dragons. Not overly gory. No romance (specifically requested by this child). Books appropriate for 11-12 year olds. I have found some on dragons but none on werewolves that would match no overly gory or no romance. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

My almost 11 yo dd likes the Wings of Fire series about dragons but I haven’t read them so I can’t really endorse. She says there is not romance but idk. 

She also recommends the How to Train Your Dragon series but those might be younger? I am sorry I don’t know more about the the books. My dd reads so much  I could never keep up and I gave up on trying to screen everything and have been letting her read anything in the children’s library. 

books that prominently feature dragons
- Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher (Coville)
- Dragon Rider (Funke)
- Dragon Magic (Norton)
- Book of Dragons (Hague) -- excerpts from books with dragons
- Book of Dragons (Nesbit) -- humorous short story collection; read free at this link
- A Book of Dragons (Sanders) -- OOP; collection of all-dragon fairytales
- The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame) -- humorous short story; read free at this link
- Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien) -- another humorous short story; read free at this link

book series that feature dragons
- Dragon with a Chocolate Heart; Girl with a Dragon's Heart (Burgis)
- Dragon Keepers Chronicles: DragonSpell; DragonQuest; DragonKnight; DragonFire; DragonLight; (Paul)
- Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons; Searching for Dragons; Calling on Dragons; Talking to Dragons (Wrede)
- Dragon Slippers trilogy: Dragon Slippers; Dragon Flight; Dragon Spear (George)
- Dragon series: Dragon of the Lost Sea (#1); Dragon Steel (#2); Dragon Cauldron (#3); Dragon War (#4) (Yep)
- Dragon's Guide to... series: Care & Feeding of Humans (#1); Making Your Human Smarter (#2); Making Perfect Wishes (#3) (Yep)
- Pit Dragon series: Dragon's Blood; Heart's Blood; Sending of Dragons; Dragon's Heart (Yolen)
- Last Dragon Chronicles: Fire Within; IceFire; Fire Star; Fire Eternal; Dark Fire; Fire World; Fire Ascending (d'Lacey)

"nonfiction" dragons
- Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Drake)

- A Practical Guide to Dragons (Trumbauer)

books with a dragon in it, but in a minor role
- Voyage of the Dawntreader (Lewis)
- The Hobbit (Tolkien)
- A Wizard of Earthsea (Le Guin)

werewolves
- The Weeping Werewolf (Coville) -- elementary age book
- Goosebumps #14: The Werewolf of Fever Swamp (Stine)
- Goosebumps #60: Werewolf Skin (Stine)
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken) -- NOT werewolves, but a great story with dangerous wolves, an evil nanny, and Charles Dickens-like riches-to-rags-to-riches girl heroines -- perfect for this age!

Edited by Lori D.

Neither dragons nor werewolves, but giant rats, cockroaches, bats, &etc in a great underground labyrinth environment:  

Gregor the Overlander series.  

It's five books, the protagonist is 11 and 12 through the series.  My oldest finally forced me to read them after raving about them.  I am on book 5 and there is just a *tiny* romantic element that started in this last volume.  I think you will be hard pressed to find middle school lit that doesn't have at least a passing romantic element.  

ETA:  I am really enjoying the books.  They have some of the best sibling interactions I've seen.  The parents are good and intelligent and invested in their kids.  The moral questions asked about war are good and thought-provoking, the violence portrayed is real enough to make the war feel realistic without being overly graphic.  The author (who also wrote Hunger Games) does a great job of making a very unbelievable "Underland" feel authentic and believable.  She did an excellent job of aiming the intensity of the material at the middle school audience, in the same way that she aimed Hunger Games well at the YA audience.  

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland