Menu

First time on Tamiflu...

PeterPan

So I called the doc and they called me in tamiflu. Ds was ped diagnosed with the flu and with me being sick so much last year they wanted to try. Think it will keep pneumonia and bronchitis at bay?

im mainly worried about the hallucinations side effect. Any good thoughts or advice? And if I perk up do I keep taking it the full 5 days?

My son took tamiflu once and he was still down hard over a week.  I feel like it did absolutely nothing for him.  And we have had full blown full before so we've endured without tamiflu as well.  I do think they recommend if you start you complete your medication.  That said he had no side affects at all from it that I could tell.  

• Like 1

Well I usually get bronchitis after a virus but I didn't this year.  But I did have a relapse of worse symptoms when the 5 days was up.  Turns out it's a 10 day strain this year. I had no side effects.

Hallucinations are rare and typically only happen in children.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Katy said:

Hallucinations are rare and typically only happen in children.

Thank you, I didn't know this! 

Yes, the Tamiflu is amazing. Each dose I'm feeling stronger and I've lost that feeling that I'm losing the battle, that I'm in really big trouble, and that it's taking over my lungs. There's not data promising it will protect my lungs, but that attacked feeling is dying down. 

9 hours ago, Katy said:

I did have a relapse of worse symptoms when the 5 days was up.

Oh. Lightbulbs here. I'm enough stronger I can walk today and sit in a chair, and you're right that's what would happen. I think it was a really good move getting the Tamiflu and can't believe I never got it before. Well they did it because I had gotten my ds' flu actually diagnosed. But that makes sense that as the meds peter off my body will have to handle the rest itself, foo. I'm trying not to get anything worse because we have the cruise coming up. Have to be well enough that I'm not flagging as something they're not willing to have on the ship. 

It's making mucus in my lungs today. The progression seems to be the same as ds' symptoms, just slightly expedited and reduced in severity. I was losing before, in really bad straights, and this level is more your normal sick. I did vomit and have had some headaches, but the virus causes headaches anyway. Definitely glad I got it and glad to know it's helping some people not have it turn into bronchitis. 

I was late on a dose (feeling so well I literally forgot) so I regressed a bit. But yeah, love, total miracle. But I was at Mac truck level fatigue, unable to walk, and the tamiflu cut the intensity in half. I'm still sick and still have to rest, total rest. It just is giving me a chance to win. I would have had pneumonia quickly if I hadn't because that has happened to me many times. I was on antibiotics 3-4 times last year so now I have a new doc.

They prescribed it over the phone because I had diagnosed flu exposure (ds') and because I get recurrently severely sick with the asthma. 

So im still having to rest, can't drive (too loopy and tired), and run fevers. It's just cutting the intensity 50% so I can actually win. Duration is 1 day shorter per stats.

Fwiw on your bronchitis I think you have to rest and fight the virus. They usually give me steroids but that's for the inflammation not the virus. Rest up.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have noticed that illness triggers increased anxiety here. It’s like the inflammation from the illness itself throws off the brain chemistry a bit. 

Can you take an epsom salt bath, up your Bs, or do anything else supportive on that end of things?

You're probably onto something there. I usually don't take my vitamins if I'm not eating as well. It just lets my whole system go in rest mode. You're right though that I ate supper tonight (salmon and cucumber/tomato salad, light), so it might be time to start back on my vits. 

• Like 1