Menu

Those who’ve done Whole 30 and coffee - questions

StaceyinLA

So I’m about halfway through my Whole 30. This is my third one over the last couple years, but I cannot remember what I did about coffee - I think I was in my cold brew kick, and must’ve found something that worked for me.

My Whole 30 is going great, except for coffee. It’s really my only “vice,” and not the caffeine per se; just that nice, warm, tasty cup (only 1) in the morning.

Except on Whole 30 it’s not. 😞

I just canNOT find a way to drink it that I really enjoy. I’ve been making various homemade nut-milk creamers, sweetened with dates so I can have at least a little enjoyment, but nothing seems to be doing it for me.

Anyone done anything that was really yummy, but still compliant? I really miss the taste of my coffee with a little sugar and heavy cream!

**ETA - not trying to be a jerk, but don’t want a form of bulletproof. I don’t really need the fats because I’m eating enough of those, and I just can’t deal with the greasy coffee.

Edited by StaceyinLA

I don't have an answer for you, so I probably shouldn't respond, but I'm wondering about this so I'm asking.  You can ignore me if you want. I'm genuinely curious.

What bad thing would happen if you are noncompliant with the eating plan in this one way?  I'm having a hard time seeing how one cup of coffee a day, fixed up the way you like it, is going to sabotage the entire eating plan.  I am not being snarky!  I am just really wondering. It almost seems to me that if you can have this one thing you like, you will find the rest of the plan easier to follow... what am I missing?  

Again, feel free to ignore me. I don't mean to derail nor am I deriding your efforts!  

• Like 5

A couple of big things about Whole 30 are eliminating cravings and changing the way you think about food. I’m guessing you aren’t properly eliminating the sugar cravings if you have something with sugar every day. 

Will I go back to my regular coffee after Whole 30? Well, I doubt I’d go back to sweetening it as much as I did before because my taste buds will be accustomed to much less sugar, but I may still use sugar (unless I find a better option that’s better for me).

The thing is too, that when I have that sweeter cup in the morning, it DOES set me up for wanting more carb-y, sweeter things throughout the day. I know it’s something I need to break (one of the reasons I do Whole 30 to kick myself back into better eating habits), so while I need something that tastes good that’s Whole 30 compliant, I’d love to find something that tastes good enough to stick with even after my Whole 30 is done.

• Like 1

Thanks for answering. I think I get it.  I hope you find something that works for you!   

FWIW (which is basically nothing, I know!) I was able to stop adding sweetener to my coffee by adding some plain cocoa powder. It adds a richness that was missing before. I do use half and half which I assume would not be compliant though.

Anyway, thanks, and sorry to derail!  

1 minute ago, marbel said:

Thanks for answering. I think I get it.  I hope you find something that works for you!   

FWIW (which is basically nothing, I know!) I was able to stop adding sweetener to my coffee by adding some plain cocoa powder. It adds a richness that was missing before. I do use half and half which I assume would not be compliant though.

Anyway, thanks, and sorry to derail!  

No problem! Good idea! I know some put cinnamon as well.

I like heavy cream in mine, so I’m definitely struggling. 😜

• Like 1

I’m probably not informed enough on whole 30 to be brainstorming, but I often find that a few drops of vanilla extract will make something hint at a ‘creamy’ flavour profile without any dairy involved. (I suppose stevia is not compliant either?)

• Like 1

I'm trying intermittent fasting right now and drinking black coffee in the mornings. Blech. I reward myself with coffee and cream in the afternoon.

Worst case scenario, you only have 2 weeks to go. When you go finish W30 try to just have coffee and cream, without the sugar. I bet it will taste like heaven after a month of black coffee.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions to spice it up!

I use canned coconut milk instead of heavy cream (which was my go-to before I realized I couldn’t tolerate dairy). I heat the coconut milk, then blend/whip it with cinnamon before adding my coffee. Delicious. I know you said no bulletproof, but this is closer to what you were doing before with heavy cream than bulletproof which includes extra butters/coconut oils, etc. 

I don't know about Whole 30 but just wanted to say that I gave up having sugar in coffee and hot tea by going cold turkey and stopping adding sugar one day - I still put milk in - and after about 2 weeks I tried it with sugar again and hated it. I now cannot drink either with any kind of sweetener in them. I think the key was that I carried on drinking without sugar for the 2 weeks and that allowed my taste to change. If you just give up drinking it for a few weeks you will not change your taste.

4 hours ago, BooksandBoys said:

I use canned coconut milk instead of heavy cream (which was my go-to before I realized I couldn’t tolerate dairy). I heat the coconut milk, then blend/whip it with cinnamon before adding my coffee. Delicious. I know you said no bulletproof, but this is closer to what you were doing before with heavy cream than bulletproof which includes extra butters/coconut oils, etc. 

Oh now this sounds good! I've been doing a homemade cashew creamer, which tastes okay, but just not great. I think I'll try this.

Do you blend up the whole can of coconut milk first? What do you do about separation? And yeah, definitely not opposed to coconut milk - just didn't want the oil and can't do the butter anyway.

4 hours ago, TCB said:

I don't know about Whole 30 but just wanted to say that I gave up having sugar in coffee and hot tea by going cold turkey and stopping adding sugar one day - I still put milk in - and after about 2 weeks I tried it with sugar again and hated it. I now cannot drink either with any kind of sweetener in them. I think the key was that I carried on drinking without sugar for the 2 weeks and that allowed my taste to change. If you just give up drinking it for a few weeks you will not change your taste.

Well I haven't given it up. I'm drinking it. I'm just hoping to find a way to have it taste better. My goal would be to find something I like enough that I'll stick with it after Whole 30. I don't think I'd go back to putting much sugar at all because I am certainly gonna be used to not having it, but it's finding a creamer I like that takes out a bit of the bitterness. I don't want to go back to dairy anyway because I'm sensitive to it.

I've actually been making ice tea with earl grey and I have no problem at all drinking unsweetened tea - never have. It's just the coffee.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'm trying intermittent fasting right now and drinking black coffee in the mornings. Blech. I reward myself with coffee and cream in the afternoon.

Worst case scenario, you only have 2 weeks to go. When you go finish W30 try to just have coffee and cream, without the sugar. I bet it will taste like heaven after a month of black coffee.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions to spice it up!

I haven't had it black - I have been making nut milk creamers. I'm just looking for something I like better. I really am hoping to NOT go back to heavy cream.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

Oh now this sounds good! I've been doing a homemade cashew creamer, which tastes okay, but just not great. I think I'll try this.

Do you blend up the whole can of coconut milk first? What do you do about separation? And yeah, definitely not opposed to coconut milk - just didn't want the oil and can't do the butter anyway.

No, I just blend the bit I’ll use that day (I have a stick blender), then stick the rest of the can in the fridge. For the separation, I shake it really well before I open the can, then mix it up a bit. I’m also ok with just dumping a bit of the water out if there is a lot of it. 

I’m with you on the cashew milk, and I don’t like almond milk in my coffee either. 

Well this morning I just added some coconut milk to what was left of my cashew creamer thinking that might make it a bit better, but it really didn’t make much difference.

I’m super excited though because I’m meeting a friend for lunch in Baton Rouge, and one of our local roasters makes an almond/cashew blend in-house that they sweeten a little with dates. They get such a nice, thick foam out of it. I’ll be able to go there for a latte, and it will be quite a nice treat!

Now all I have to do is figure out where we can eat. 😜

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

Well, I found something that I love. I had totally forgotten about this recipe, but it dawned on me that I could do this on Whole 30, and it was a yummy, welcome change!

The recipe is 12 oz fairly strong hot coffee

1/4 cup cashews (raw, but not soaked or anything)

some sea salt (can’t remember what the recipe called for, but I just do a couple churns of my grinder)

honey (recipe calls for something like a Tbsp, but I am replacing with a few dates)

I just put the coffee, as soon as it’s done brewing, into my Blendtec, then add the cashews, dates, and salt. Blend on “whole juice” til it stops (which would probably be high for 30-45 secs), and pour it into my cup!

Now, I don’t drink that whole amount or I’d be bouncing off the ceiling. I actually do it with 16 ounces coffee, 1/3 cup cashews, the salt and a few dates, and it makes enough for me and my daughter each a cup.

I think I’ll be sticking with this well after Whole 30 is done - VERY yummy!

I'm not doing full-fledged Whole30 because I dislike eggs for breakfast and I think the author's rationale for banning Paleo hot cereal and pancakes on W30 is nonsense. Sorry, but if you claim that chicken nuggets, meatloaf, and spaghetti are perfectly fine if made with compliant ingredients, then you can't turn around and claim that breakfast "comfort foods" are SOOOOO HORRENDOUSLY AWFUL that they need to be banned for the 30 days. 🙄

But in terms of coffee, I found a compliant almond milk by Califa Farms that makes my coffee drinkable even without sweetener.

12 hours ago, Seasider too said:

That sounds interesting! Does it have a distinct cashew flavor, or do the nuts just add a richness to the flavor?

What brand of coffee do you use?

I feel like it just adds a rich, creaminess. It’s really good, and I like that I can still have a bit of sweetness. I think I’ll just stick with it beyond whole 30.

We have two local roasters (well, in BR), and I buy fresh roasted from them. So yummy!!

Edited by StaceyinLA

5 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

I'm not doing full-fledged Whole30 because I dislike eggs for breakfast and I think the author's rationale for banning Paleo hot cereal and pancakes on W30 is nonsense. Sorry, but if you claim that chicken nuggets, meatloaf, and spaghetti are perfectly fine if made with compliant ingredients, then you can't turn around and claim that breakfast "comfort foods" are SOOOOO HORRENDOUSLY AWFUL that they need to be banned for the 30 days. 🙄

But in terms of coffee, I found a compliant almond milk by Califa Farms that makes my coffee drinkable even without sweetener.

Well I get the idea of it being in the “spirit” of whole 30 because it’s to change the way you think about food. I don’t particularly love pancakes, so for me, I’d eat one that was compliant, and not think twice about it. My weakness is definitely bread though, so I like being forced to think outside that box. 

I think I had that in my coffee at the roaster today when I got my beans - I couldn’t drink it though; just not enough of anything to make me like it.