Menu

Dr. - don't take as prescribed

Pegasus

I've had two different doctors recently write me a prescription and explain that they wanted me to take it differently than they were prescribing. I should have asked but didn't: why not just write it the way I should take it!?! 

Has anyone else run into this?  Any ideas?

Usually it’s because they are trying to save you money. The way they write it looks like something the insurance will be okay with covering. The way they want you to take it and they think will work, will get questioned and/or denied by your insurance company. One of my doctors writes my hormone Rxs this way and I just take it as he tells me, because I don’t take it every day. 

• Like 3

That does sound confusing for you, and could be problematic for the pharmacist who may also provide you with advice on the correct way to take the medication. Why don't you ask your dr why they are doing this? Taking medications as prescribed is challenging enough for a lot of people; seems counter-productive for a dr to write out instructions that are not meant to be followed.

My allergist does this. All my prescriptions are written as “take as needed”, but I have a “regular protocol” and a “likely to run into allergens protocol” and a “reaction protocol”. All use the same medications, but dosages and frequencies differ. She writes the prescription for something in the middle, so I have a stockpile-which then gets me through months like December where I’m taking higher doses almost constantly. 

• Like 2

It might be good to double check with your doc and the pharmacist.  We've had two Rxs which were written incorrectly, and one of them could have been highly dangerous.  Also, the pharmacist can be a huge help, catching two Rxs that should not be taken together. 

(We make it a habit of taking a prepared list of every meds dh is taking to every single appointment he has, so it's not as thought the doctor can't see what might conflict, but for whatever reason, the pharmacists are better at drug interactions.)

because of how the insurance companies will base how it is covered on how the prescription is written.

and jean makes an excellent point of having a written copy of how he wants you to take it.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1