Menu

Name that movie! - SOLVED

avbprincess

UPDATE: We've named that movie, thanks to hjffkj. It's The Playgirl Killer, a Canadian B-film from 1967. See my post (#15) below for links to info on the movie if you're curious.

My husband recently mentioned a movie he saw probably 30 years ago and we've been trying to figure out what it was he saw. Being that he saw it so long ago, his memory of it is very vague.

My husband remembers it as a movie (probably in color, not black and white) starring Vincent Price as a man that dreams of a shipwreck, with people who died and the devil in there somewhere. He wants to recreate the dream in a painting and starts killing people so he can set their bodies up as models for the painting. He keeps their bodies in the freezer to keep them from decomposing. He struggles with finding someone to be the model for the devil. At the end, he dies somehow, and his face appears in the painting as the devil's face. 

Now, keep in mind that some details may be wrong (examples: it may have been from an old tv show, not a film; it may have been in black and white; Vincent Price may not have been the lead actor). If anyone has any ideas about what he saw, we'd love to hear them!

Edited by avbprincess

30 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

That's the kind of late-night-movie my DH would have liked growing up, but he says it doesn't sound familiar. Has he gone through Vincent Price's IMBD list?

I thought of that, but have you seen Vincent Price's IMDb list? He has 207 acting credits! That will be our last resort.

22 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Is it black and white or color?  Could it be Twilight Zone or Night Gallery?

He thinks it was in color, but definitely can't say for sure.

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/155292|151397/Vincent-Price/filmography-with-synopsis.html

i found this and don’t see anything like that listed here.  Is he sure it was Vincent price? 

I was wondering that too (the bolded) after searching and coming up empty. Often when I think I remember a movie I saw ages ago and at a young age, I learn that I either don't remember the plot or the actors correctly. 

52 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/155292|151397/Vincent-Price/filmography-with-synopsis.html

i found this and don’t see anything like that listed here.  Is he sure it was Vincent price? 

He thinks it was Vincent Price, but he could absolutely be remembering wrong, especially since he's not the movie buff in the family, I am. Or perhaps VP was in it, but in a small, supporting role. Honestly, his memory for movies is abysmal, so he could be remembering everything wrong, but we still want to try to figure it out. The story sounds nice and creepy, and could be a good watch!

• Like 2

Well there was house of wax with vincent price where he covers people in wax.  There is a movie called A Bucket of Blood where a man kills people to turn them into sculptures, that doesn't have vincent price in it.  When I asked my mom, who is a huge movie buff, those are the two movies that popped to her head

• Like 1

I remember a movie, or show, or legend, or something where a similar thing happened with someone trying to recreate The Last Supper painting....couldn't find anyone to be Judas and ended up with himself...? Or maybe over the years of working on it, had used one guy for Jesus' face, and years later, the same guy for Judas, because whatever had happened in the guys life had changed him that dramatically........could your husband be mixing up different movies/stories he's heard? 

ETA: here's the link; apparently what I'm referring to was an internet hoax about Leonardo da Vinci using the same model for both. Anyway, just wondered if your husband could be combining plot lines/story lines....(I do that all.the.time. when "remembering" movies, which is why I ask....). 

https://www.truthorfiction.com/lastsupper/

Edited by TheReader

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

I remember a movie, or show, or legend, or something where a similar thing happened with someone trying to recreate The Last Supper painting....couldn't find anyone to be Judas and ended up with himself...? Or maybe over the years of working on it, had used one guy for Jesus' face, and years later, the same guy for Judas, because whatever had happened in the guys life had changed him that dramatically........could your husband be mixing up different movies/stories he's heard? 

ETA: here's the link; apparently what I'm referring to was an internet hoax about Leonardo da Vinci using the same model for both. Anyway, just wondered if your husband could be combining plot lines/story lines....(I do that all.the.time. when "remembering" movies, which is why I ask....). 

https://www.truthorfiction.com/lastsupper/

Thanks, I showed him this, and he said it was definitely something he watched. But that's a great urban legend!

He also gave me another detail: the painter/killer kept the bodies in a freezer to keep them from decomposing.

Edited by avbprincess

19 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Well there was house of wax with vincent price where he covers people in wax.  There is a movie called A Bucket of Blood where a man kills people to turn them into sculptures, that doesn't have vincent price in it.  When I asked my mom, who is a huge movie buff, those are the two movies that popped to her head

The house of wax one was what I thought he might be mixing in his mind with another movie he saw. It sounds similar to that.

The Playgirl Killer, 1967, is about an artist who kills his models when they are unable to stay perfectly still for him.  He then puts them in a freezer and poses them to keep them fresh and in the proper pose.   No Vincent Price but he is driven by a nightmare, not sure if it has to do with a shipwwreck or the devil though,

edited to add: He does kill someone on a rowboat

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

The Playgirl Killer, 1967, is about an artist who kills his models when they are unable to stay perfectly still for him.  He then puts them in a freezer and poses them to keep them fresh and in the proper pose.   No Vincent Price but he is driven by a nightmare, not sure if it has to do with a shipwwreck or the devil though,

edited to add: He does kill someone on a rowboat

WE HAVE A WINNER! Thank you! I found a synopsis here, and DH's memory of the story was pretty accurate considering he hadn't seen it in decades. No Vincent Price, as noted, but the lead actor definitely resembles VP in his goateed horror star days. The synopsis page contains a photo of the man's nightmare image, and here's the man's painting. Poor DH has apparently been trying to figure out what movie this was for many years, not that he wants to see it again (and it looks pretty terrible, honestly.) Oh, and here's the trailer on YT. WTM to the rescue, again!

• Like 3