Menu

Dr. Hive—stress response

bethben

We have some issues with dd that are slowly being medicated.  She has rages that tend to escalate.  She started one again and DH was handling it.  I was completely out of the argument and planned to stay that way.  Since starting therapy for myself, I have been making sure I’m more aware of what I’m feeling.  Today, when dd started her rage, my body got hot, I felt dizzy, got short of breath, shaky, and my heart rate went up.  I was making dinner and was out of the argument.  What was that?  

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, bethben said:

We have some issues with dd that are slowly being medicated.  She has rages that tend to escalate.  She started one again and DH was handling it.  I was completely out of the argument and planned to stay that way.  Since starting therapy for myself, I have been making sure I’m more aware of what I’m feeling.  Today, when dd started her rage, my body got hot, I felt dizzy, got short of breath, shaky, and my heart rate went up.  I was making dinner and was out of the argument.  What was that?  

Adrenaline spike based on previous episodes and experiences you've been through with your DD. Your body was getting ready for fight or flight.

This is based on personal experience, not medical experience.

I'm really sorry.

Edited by unsinkable
Typo
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

Adrenaline spike based on previous episodes and experiences you've been through with your DD. Your body was getting ready for fight or flight.

I'm really sorry.

Yep. Me too. I get this response sometimes too complete with shaking hands and stomach cramps.

1 hour ago, unsinkable said:

I'm really sorry.

Same. I had this happen to me when I was dealing with a difficult financial issue; sometimes when I would think of it I would have the exact response you described.

On the other hand, sometimes I get very cold, shivering uncontrollably even though the room and my clothing are warm enough.

I can get it even just from watching a television show where something stressful is happening. Mirror neurons that let us learn by watching others, af if we are experiencing it ourselves, also mean we can experience bad stuff that doesn't actually happen to us. (and that is why I don't watch certain TV shows anymore.)

• Like 1

Happens to me too. One of mine is having a meltdown as we speak. He’s in another room, but my pulse is up, I’m slightly light headed, and when it’s all over, I’ll feel exhausted and struggle to accomplish anything for a couple of hours. This has been going on for over 7 years, so by now I have a pretty good idea of how it will affect me, though I’m still not good at being kind to myself around the lack of productivity/clear-thinking in the aftermath  

It’s a bummer. Hopefully, you can stick with the therapy and work hard to find ways to de stress, both in the moment and not.