Menu

We're getting a new dog!

SquirrellyMama

My youngest dd and I are super excited, while the rest of the family doesn't understand why we want this dog.

My sister is a traveling nurse who is on an assignment in CA. She and her roommate found a very malnourished, blind dog stumbling around their yard ? They tried to find an owner, but couldn't. They decided she was probably dumped. Anyway, they have been nursing her back to health, and taking her to the vet to get her shots. Unfortunately, neither lady can keep this dog. My sister already has 2 dogs, and has a hard time finding someone willing to let her and the dogs stay for her 13 week assignments. 

Anyway, we are getting her. I cannot wait to love on this doggie! I have a soft spot for animals in need. Most of ours have come from shelters or friends who have needed to get rid of their pets and cannot handle taking them to a shelter. 

I cannot imagine an 8 year old blind dog would do well in a shelter.

I've been reading articles on having a blind dog, and I will go talk to our vet in the next week or so to see if he has any advice.

From the pictures I've seen she looks like a poodle or a poodle mix. She was only 4 pounds when they found her, but should be almost 10 pounds. She's gaining weight well, and our pets always fatten up.

Kelly

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

She has cataracts, no signs of diabetes. She's been to the vet, and is apparently healthy other than that.

So, she has had blood work done?  If not, she needs it done and you can’t rule out diabetes.  Diabetic dogs go blind because the extra sugar in the blood encourages cataract development.  Especially if she’s an unspayed female as the hormones promote insulin resistance.  Most vets are woefully uninformed about diabetes in animals.  

I’ve had one of my dogs, an unspayed female develop diabetes at age 7 and she went from diagnosis (emaciation) to getting better to blind to dead within 3 months.  She wouldn’t probably wouldn’t have even been diagnosed if it wasn’t for the fact we had to go to the local vet school because it was a holiday. 

Stefanie

• Sad 1

Have you ever seen the video of the little blind poodle named Fiona that was rescued from a trash pile by Hope for Paws? When they first found her she looked like a dirty gray rag in a pile of other rags, but she blossomed into the sweetest, cutest, happiest little dog. They were even able to save the sight in one eye thanks to surgery. I think it's so wonderful that you're adopting this poor girl and I can't wait to see pictures! :wub:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sdel said:

So, she has had blood work done?  If not, she needs it done and you can’t rule out diabetes.  Diabetic dogs go blind because the extra sugar in the blood encourages cataract development.  Especially if she’s an unspayed female as the hormones promote insulin resistance.  Most vets are woefully uninformed about diabetes in animals.  

I’ve had one of my dogs, an unspayed female develop diabetes at age 7 and she went from diagnosis (emaciation) to getting better to blind to dead within 3 months.  She wouldn’t probably wouldn’t have even been diagnosed if it wasn’t for the fact we had to go to the local vet school because it was a holiday. 

Stefanie

Yes, she has had blood work done. It all came back clean. She appears very healthy just underweight (but gaining) and cataracts.

She's been in to see the vet three times now for bloodwork, shots, and weight checks.

My sister is driving her out here is a couole weeks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Yes, she has had blood work done. It all came back clean. She appears very healthy just underweight (but gaining) and cataracts.

She's been in to see the vet three times now for bloodwork, shots, and weight checks.

My sister is driving her out here is a couole weeks.

It's awesome that she's so healthy!

My two blind dogs were diabetic. However, they did not go blind until several years after being diagnosed. When they were in the early stages of diabetes, we knew immediately that something was wrong because they both showed very obvious signs - drinking huge amounts of water and peeing excessively. Since your pup has been thoroughly checked by the vet and isn't showing any symptoms of diabetes, I don't think you need to worry about that at all.?

• Like 1