Menu

Why would you NEVER want to use DVD school?

MommyInTraining

As some of you know, I have been considering BJUP and Abeka DVD school. I would never have wanted to use this in the past, but with the new baby I am feeling hard pressed for time. Now, for some reason, I am having trouble thinking of why I WOULDN'T want to use DVD school. I know there must be many reasons though :001_smile:.

Could you share with me why you would NEVER want to use DVD school?

Thanks!

Terri,

It sounds like you're really struggling with this decision. I did also. For me, it just came down to that I felt I needed several months to a year to have one kid working differently so I could work with the other kid very hands on. It DID lessen the workload for me with the child that used the Abeka DvDs and yet I felt that child still got a good education (maybe not as good as our unschooling or classical homeschooling times, but definitely appropriate).

It was a transitional thing for us. And it worked well. And btw, kiddo really liked it too! The history teacher for that year (older than your kids) was awesome. Science and English were good too. We skipped the math dvds because the teacher was difficult to listen to and this kiddo of mine didn't need it for that level of work anyway.

Anyway, I don't think you HAVE to do it in your situation, but I think it won't hurt by any stretch either. And if it makes you feel more comfortable during a time of transition in your family, then go for it.

I hope this helps a little. I do know how hard it is to make this sort of decision. I struggled similarly when I later put ds in a virtual academy and that turns out to be an absolutely WONDERFUL choice for ds.

I would never use DVD school because with only one child I don't want him in front of a screen that long of a time. We watch a lot of TV as a family and he has game systems so I don't want to extend that time any further.

Also I would miss the personal interaction we have during school. That being said I may use subject specific DVD teaching once he reaches high school, but I wouldn't choose to do his entire schooling in that manner.

I didn't bring my dc home so that they could sit in front of a television (or computer). I didn't keep them home so we could immulate a classroom, and go through 12 years just like school, following someone else's idea of what education should be, someone who didn't know my dc from Adam's cat.

I cannot imagine what our hsing would have been like without all the field trips and library and meaningful conversations that happened at random times, or deciding that my dc were "in" a specific grade so that they had to learn *this* instead of "that," when "that" was the thing that guided their life's goals. And for all the wonderful interactions between us and the experiences we enjoyed to have been thwarted because they were sitting in front of a television/computer following along like lemmings...no.

I *might* have considered it for some high school-level courses if we'd lived in another state, but my dc did community college instead of high school, something easy to do in Calif, so ABeka or BJUP DVDs would have been holding them back.

I try not to say never about anything.

I don't use one specific curriculum for any subject. I like to pick and choose different materials, not just for different subjects, but within subjects. A DVD program takes all that control away from me. I decided to homeschool so I could be very hands on and provide lots of enrichment. So, it wouldn't fit my approach. However, a DVD program can be quite useful different stages of homeschooling. I don't think it's ideal in any way, but it can fill a gap for short term when it's inappropriate/not feasible to enroll in a traditional school.

This summer for some reason I had the grand idea that we would do Homesat. We ordered everything ($400- in books:confused:) and got the sat hooked up. After one week of trying to stick to the schedule I returned EVERYTHING!!!

I thought it would free up our time- but instead it took soooo much time! Why do they need a half hour of handwriting? The puppets were cute and all but I may as well teach them handwriting for a few minutes and let them watch TV if they needed a TV show.

Then there was the schedule. I couldn't do ANY co-op field trips or take any days off. Five days a week was hours of school. If we missed one day- there went Saturday.

I know this works for some people and I don't want to discourage you if this is what you are lead to do. But since you asked -I would say the time and the money are the reasons I wouldn't/didn't do it.

For us- there is freedom in just doing school with the WTM recs., being done by lunch, and taking days off for life when we need to!

HTH and doesn't discourage you!:) Good luck deciding!

but I think for some subjects it might be fun to try if you have the money. I would like to have tried BJU French I DVD's last year (looking back) for my oldest.

For us, we used Schlessinger Media dvd's from the library for history and science for years before we signed up with Discovery Education online. Dis. Ed. is very easy to use (available instantly) and we watch whenever we want.

But not for all subjects.First, because it's so expensive.Second because my children spend enough time around tvs,Mp3 players,radios, video games and such that they don't need more electronic interaction.I can picture my children getting bored and wandering off halfway through the "class" or reading a book instead of watching and listening.

Why would you NEVER want to use DVD school?

...if you never discussed what they were learning or gave them other outlets or reflective learning...I think there is nothing wrong with dvd "teachers"/ learning (though we have only used it with Prima Latina) but if that was all a child's day consisted of I would be wary perhaps? But if you have a balanced homelife and the need or want arises, why not?

You'd be juggling a lot of DVD classes if you're going to use it for every subject and every child. BUT, I totally understand your need for something your children can do more independently. I was really stressed for time last winter (we were using RightStart math, a time-intensive language arts program, and literature based curricula, too). For our family, it came down to finding something less time-consuming (for the teacher) for math and language arts, and continuing to teach Bible as well as history and science with our literature based curricula. We combine all our dc in those subject areas, anyway - that helps, too. Our children have ended up thriving with our new choices.

Have you considered other online options? Other programs that are more self-instructional? We use Time4Learning. There's also Switched-on Schoolhouse for 3rd grade and up, and Alpha Omega's Lifepacs for K-12. A little research may turn up a few other good options.

It sounds like for this season you need to find something that will be a little less time-consuming for you. Maybe you just need it for some subjects; maybe for all of them. Investigate and consider for a reasonable amount of time, but then make a decision to try something. And - like someone said - you may find it doesn't work at all, it works okay, or it works so well you choose to keep going with it even when you're less stressed for time.

:grouphug: and blessings to you as you find what works for your family right now.

Laura

I kept saying never - and now we are.

I want to address a couple of things -

1. Handwriting with Homesat isn't 30 minutes. The lessons are 10-15 minutes, and we weren't doing it for 1st and that child begged me to buy the book, the oldest is doing 7th grade, but i threw in 6th HW and she loves it!

2. You are still the teacher. You decide what assignments to do - if you really need to watch a video for that class, what your schedule is. We don't do everything 5 days a week - i'm still the teacher, the DVD teachers are just your helpers.

Each child will react differently to them - my oldest is a "workbook kid" and LOVES her classes. She is doing all the extras for her History class, the other day she tired soap carving. We've tried SL with her, unschooling, Abeka, WTM, SOS and Homesat and her have clicked the best.

My middle one can handle more with her Phonics Teacher than she can handle with me teaching it. The multi-media aspect of it that i can't duplicate at home keeps her going at a more normal pace (she has learning disabilities).

I believe both of Abeka & BJU have a money back guarantee. I'd try it and see what you think.

BJU

Do you offer a money-back guarantee?

Yes, if for any reason you are not satisfied with our DVD packages, you may return them within 30 days from original shipping date of the DVDs for a refund minus shipping and handling and the cost of any materials no longer in saleable condition. You must first obtain an RMA and instructions by calling 1-800-845-5731.

Abeka

Money-Back Guarantee

A Beka Academy now offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on Program 1 and Program 2 full grade enrollments. If not completely satisfied with the program, contact our office within 30 days of your begin date for complete canceling instructions. To return DVDs, you may use the pre-paid return label that comes with the DVDs. To return any new, unused books, customers in the contiguous U.S. or Canada may request pre-paid shipping labels to return books via UPS.

Every family what needs to do what works for them in their season of life.... the 30 days to try it make it easier.