Menu

3 Ring Binders

So we have recycled binders for years. I hate filling up the land fill but this year we are fed up with all our papers ripping because the binder's rings are bent. 

Has anyone found a brand that actually holds up and doesn't easily get bent rings or cracked covers, at least not for a reasonable amount of time. 

Edited by frogger

Years ago this was asked on here and people recommended the Staples Better Binders. I have been gradually replacing the binders I use most often with them and so far, so good. Mostly I buy used binders for super cheap at the thrift store for use by my kids, so it doesn't bother me so much when they break. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, frogger said:

...I hate filling up the land fill...

Rather than trashing your binders (unless they really are trashy and broken down!), as you replace with some other option, consider donating your used binders to another homeschooler in need, or a school/teacher, or to a local Good Will.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I also vote for Staples Better Binder.  But also, I appreciate Wilson Jones' Premium binders with the single touch locking.  The kids have used the Staples Better Binder for several years now without any problems.  I've used the Wilson Jones binder for several years without a problem; I don't know how it would hold up to kids using it. ? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Rather than trashing your binders (unless they really are trashy and broken down!), as you replace with some other option, consider donating your used binders to another homeschooler in need, or a school/teacher, or to a local Good Will.

Haven't bought a binder for, if I can guess right, about a decade so they aren't really in good enough shape to pass on. I will probably use them for storing old papers I want but don't use all the time since the rings tear up paper with use. But that's a good idea. 

• Like 1

We use Avery heavy duty 3” white binders because my husband would bring back old ones from his office. 

For rings that are bent, I just put scotch tape or sticky tape round them like a bandaid. A week or so later, they are usually back in shape.

For rings that are still out of alignment, I use those for IKEA instruction manuals in sheet protectors. My husband wants to keep the manuals and the sheet protectors are more reinforced than the ring reinforcers.

On 9/7/2018 at 3:54 PM, Arcadia said:

We use Avery heavy duty 3” white binders because my husband would bring back old ones from his office. 

For rings that are bent, I just put scotch tape or sticky tape round them like a bandaid. A week or so later, they are usually back in shape.

For rings that are still out of alignment, I use those for IKEA instruction manuals in sheet protectors. My husband wants to keep the manuals and the sheet protectors are more reinforced than the ring reinforcers.

Avery Heavy Duty Binder One Touch EZD rings is what we use as well.