Menu

Odd leg pain, no injury

skimomma

For the last two nights, I have been kept awake almost the whole night by an odd pain in one of my legs.  It comes and goes and the closest I can describe it is that it feel like a dull ache that in not very centralized in location.  It spans the entire length of my leg, on the inseam side, and will sometimes ache more in one place than others.  It is not sharp enough to be a cramp and does not seem to be associated with any particular muscle, bone, tendon, or joint.  I have had restless leg syndrome at times and this is not the same.  I do not feel compelled to move it.  It also happens during the day, but when I am busy, I don't seem to notice it as much.  It does not hurt to use.  I am a runner and ran 5 miles this morning with no issue.  I hiked a bit yesterday, again with no issue.  And I have not had any sort of injury.  It does not respond to ibuprofen.  Dh suggested nerve pain.  That seems plausible.  But what causes it and how to make it stop?

My attempts at Google are clearly not specific enough.  If anyone has any leads for me to check out, that would be great.  I need some SLEEP!

29 minutes ago, rocassie said:

I deal with sciatica pain from time to time as my pelvis will get out of alignment and put pressure on that nerve. My first symptoms are usually a dull ache down my whole leg.  Maybe it could be something like this.  

Thanks! This sounds like what I have...except Google says it is not common on the inner part of the leg.  Assuming that is what I have going on, is there anything to do to lessen it so I can sleep?  Again, Google tells me it usually does not respond to pain medications which has been my experience with ibuprofen.

If it is nerve related pain, a TENS electrical unit might help. You can buy them at most pharmacies. Get one that allows for flexibility of placement.

ETA:I assume you have checked for signs of blood clots, correct (since you mentioned google)? If not, definitely do that!

Edited by jewellsmommy

15 minutes ago, jewellsmommy said:

If it is nerve related pain, a TENS electrical unit might help. You can buy them at most pharmacies. Get one that allows for flexibility of placement.

ETA:I assume you have checked for signs of blood clots, correct (since you mentioned google)? If not, definitely do that!

Thanks.  I don't have any of the other symptoms that are usually associated with blood clots.  There is no swelling or redness nor is it tender to the touch.  But.....this is why I quit with the Google and looked for help pinpointing....too scary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I know that not everyone is comfortable with chiropractic, but I would go to my chiropractor with a symptom like that.  Often spinal misalignment can create problems in the legs. 

I do have an appointment for next Monday.  My chiro is on vacation this week.  Bad luck on that one.....

• Like 1

It's probably related to the activity you've been doing (hiking and running). You may have strained a muscle, tendon or ligament in your running/hiking and are feeling some delayed pain. Uneven surfaces for hiking/running can cause different stresses on muscles and tendons that aren't necessarily felt immediately.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just take some ibuprofen/tylenol, rest/reduce activity, and check that your footwear is in really good condition. 

I had that pain.  I went to my husband's chiropractor (I am not generally a chiro person) and he said it was likely the sciatic nerve.  He fixed it with a few adjustments and gave me some exercises to do.  I haven't had further problems since my last visit about 6 months ago, I think. 

2 hours ago, skimomma said:

Thanks.  I don't have any of the other symptoms that are usually associated with blood clots.  There is no swelling or redness nor is it tender to the touch.  But.....this is why I quit with the Google and looked for help pinpointing....too scary.

Be super careful to rule out blood clots. Sometimes the symptoms can be atypical.

48 minutes ago, skimomma said:

It seems that there is no real way to completely rule them out without an ultrasound and/or x-ray.  

That's true, maybe keep a close eye out for any swelling or redness, or any shortness of breath.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:45 AM, skimomma said:

Thanks! This sounds like what I have...except Google says it is not common on the inner part of the leg.  Assuming that is what I have going on, is there anything to do to lessen it so I can sleep?  Again, Google tells me it usually does not respond to pain medications which has been my experience with ibuprofen.

I visit my chiropractor and I sleep with a wedge under my knees.  My chiropractor gave me some stretches to do as well.  One is to lie on my back, keep one leg flat on the ground, and then stretch my other against a solid upright object.  For me it is a doorway.  Hopefully you find something that works.

I had something similar, but on the outer side of my leg. It turned out to be a herniated disc pushing on a nerve. When it turned into tingling and numbness in addition to pain, I ended up having herniectomy surgery. Pain was gone instantly, but I still have some numbness in the foot.