Menu

What should I do

DawnM

Such a silly thread in light of real issues, but I am ticked.  My iPhone 6+ is having issues.  We have looked it up and we can't fix it ourselves.  We can send it to a person to do it for less than what Apple will charge, but it will be $100 plus shipping.  I have looked up a used iPhone 6+ and they are only worth about $200.  

Here is what is wrong with it, and you need special tools and a special soldering thing, and know how to do it just right.    

What would you do?

1. Repair for $100

2. Get a Samsung and take DH's old one

10 hours ago, Farrar said:

It would depend. I know a few people who do things like this all the time. But if you're not someone who opens things up and fixes them in general, I wouldn't bother.

Normally my husband can fix most things, but this requires a special tool that itself costs quite a bit, it isn't just a simple "take this part out and replace it" it is a "take this out, solder this piece and this piece together with a special tool ($300 for the tool) and make sure you don't accidentally solder this piece and this piece or you will ruin the phone" thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GinaPagnato said:

A phone that's lasted 3+ years has had a good, long run. Thank it for its service to you (see, a little Konmarie added in there), and get yourself a new one. 

I've had Samsungs and now an iPhone, and I like them both. I wouldn't hesitate to switch.

Yeah, it would be for my husband, and I would take his iPhone.  I think this makes the most sense.  

I swear when I was younger, getting a new phone after 3 years seemed like it lasted a long time.  Now I am older and think "only 3 years?  this thing should last 5 or 6!"  

That repair seems difficult and as you pointed out the required tool is costly. They sell kits for about $10 USD with tiny tools, for people to work with Cell phones, tablets, and laptops, and sometimes you need to use a Hair Dryer, but that tool, and what is required, is dicey. Replacing a battery or something, one can do, and probably be very successful, but your description makes that sound like something for an experienced Technician to do.

My low-end Samsung Android will be 4 years old next month and has the original battery (which doesn't hold a charge very long now) and I have DEEP respect for it, but when it goes, I will go to Motorola. Everyone else in the house is using Motorola Android phones now. Lots of "Bang for the buck" in contrast to what you get for the same money in a Samsung.

I would not fix it, because of the complexity and if there is no warranty on the repair, that's a crap shoot if a phone like that goes for $200 USD.

7 minutes ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

When I was young, a new phone after 2 years was "free" when you went to renew your contract. Now a new smartphone is $2-300 minimum! $6-900 for high end ones.  I feel like they should last longer too!

Well, I do like having no contract, and the bill is lower without it.  Those contracts built in the cost of the new phone every 2 years into the price.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Annie G said:

That’s a tough call then. 

‘Too bad about the repair not coming with a warranty. When our kids have had computer repairs they have always warranted the repair for a while so I thought phones might also. 

Oh, you mean the repair warranty.  that I don 't know.  I thought you were asking if the phone still has a warranty on it.

• Like 1

You can buy a Brand New, Unlocked, and Unbranded, phone directly from Motorola for less than $300, with a factory warranty.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g-family

Something in the G5 family would be nice. A G6 might be a little nicer. (I think DD has a G4 but it may be a G5).

Those are really nice phones.

My wife is waiting for my 4 year old Samsung to die, so she can give me her Moto G phone and then she will buy a newer one...

BTW we have a neighbor who is an Electronics Engineer and has worked for one of the cell providers here for 20+ years. He recommends Motorola or Samsung phones. Mostly, he buys Motorola phones (his current phone is a Motorola), but sometimes he will buy a Samsung. I would stay with one of those brands.

45 minutes ago, Lanny said:

You can buy a Brand New, Unlocked, and Unbranded, phone directly from Motorola for less than $300, with a factory warranty.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g-family

Something in the G5 family would be nice. A G6 might be a little nicer. (I think DD has a G4 but it may be a G5).

Those are really nice phones.

My wife is waiting for my 4 year old Samsung to die, so she can give me her Moto G phone and then she will buy a newer one...

BTW we have a neighbor who is an Electronics Engineer and has worked for one of the cell providers here for 20+ years. He recommends Motorola or Samsung phones. Mostly, he buys Motorola phones (his current phone is a Motorola), but sometimes he will buy a Samsung. I would stay with one of those brands.

My husband can.  I will stick with Apple.  I don't see myself crossing into the Android world, but wonders never cease!  HAHAHA!

• Like 1

And now I am MAD because the deal that was out there for the Samsung a month ago when I got my son's S9 is no longer available! 

The deal was "any smart phone trade in $200" and 20% off for college students AND a free memory card.   

Now I can only get $50 for the trade in, 15% off for college students, and no memory card.

Well, Humph!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Well, I do like having no contract, and the bill is lower without it.  Those contracts built in the cost of the new phone every 2 years into the price.

Agree. It wasn't bad then, because the phones were cheap. Once they moved on to smartphones and it added a significant chunk to the bill. 

• Like 1

I watched the first few minutes of the video in the OP.  Very tricky.   Applie iPhones are made by a company called FoxConn. They are made by hand. FoxConn has 230K employees in the factory where they make Apple products.

If a similar phone sells for about $200 USD used, I would not put that kind of money into that kind of repair.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

Agree. It wasn't bad then, because the phones were cheap. Once they moved on to smartphones and it added a significant chunk to the bill. 

My first smart phone was a Palm based phone, do you remember those?