Menu

Is anyone else in denial about the upcoming year?

Well, we start this week. *harrumph* *yawn* *stretch* I just really don't want to let go of summer this year, for some reason. But, oldest kid is back at college... I start classes next week myself, and the kids' local classes begin this week too... so... here we go, like it or not!

Time stops for no man! ?

Both kids are in several online classes that sort of stagger-start from late August-mid September. So that worked out quite well, actually, for them to ease into it.

(funnily enough, the kids are really excited about their coursework & extracurriculars this year... *I'm* excited about my own college classes this semester... things are lined up quite well... and still... I just don't wanna do it!!! ? )

I’m 1,000 miles from home moving DDs 1 & 2 into college (Junior & Freshman year, respectively). When I return home next week DD3 will begin two of four online classes. Two weeks later we’ll move her out-of-state to a new Ballet school where she’ll live with grandparents and train for the school year. DD4 and I will begin 4th grade upon our return from a week away getting big sister settled/visiting with grandparents. We leave a few days later to tag along on a business trip with DH for a very good ‘edu-vacation’ in Washington, DC. We’ll not start school in earnest until the end of September.

The chaos is definitely throwing off my mojo a bit, but I’m sure we’ll find our new normal. Unless I have a mental breakdown going from four to only one child at home!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 10:26 PM, RootAnn said:

As someone with a couple of 'big kids', I recommend starting the last week of August with something in the pile of resources for this year that you think will be fun/exciting for the kids. Just do that with them the first week of school. Then, take Labor Day off & the rest of that first week of September, do the fun/exciting subject & add one more subject (per kid) that is not the one you are most dreading, but one that will take a bit to get figured out. Knock the dust off & take it for a ride. That next week (the one you normally start homeschooling for real usually), just do those two subjects for each kid & see how things go. 

Perfect! We have company the first week of September, and I was really seriously considering doing this exact thing. It makes me feel better that you and 8filltheheart both think it's reasonable, lol! 

I feel like I sort of planned now... ? 

• Like 2

I finally sat down with all our books, my calendar, and, keeping RootAnn’s and 8’s advice in mind, got a rough plan together for the year. I also gave up on the idea that getting school done in 31 weeks was realistic. I worked backwards from when I want to be done and figured out when we need to start each subject. We’ll be starting a couple of subjects on Monday and then gradually adding in more each week. We should be able to get everything done in a couple of hours and still have time to enjoy the last weeks of summer. We won’t have to add everything in until we get home from vacation in October. I’m cautiously optimistic that my plan is going to work out well. It’ll take hard work but I think it’s doable. 

• Like 1

I'm definitely in denial.  It will be our last year of homeschooling, as my youngest DD is a senior.  We've spent the summer visiting colleges/universities.  The mailbox has been full of college marketing mail.  But I just can't grasp the thought of it soon being over.  My three kids have all been pretty independent during the high school years and my involvement has been waning, so you'd think I would be getting used to the idea, but I'm not.

I've spent the summer thinking about 'the lasts' (you know, like the 'firsts' we celebrate when our kids our young).  The last time I will plan a school year, the last time I will enjoy the engaging conversations about books we're reading, the last time DD will get to enjoy her youth bowling league/tournaments, etc.  It is all so bittersweet.  I suppose it would feel easier if DD felt ready for it to end, too, but she said she will be sad when it's over.  I know once she gets settled into the next phase of her life, she will be fine and will enjoy it, and I'm sure I'll be celebrating each new thing she gets to experience as a young adult.  Still, I wouldn't mind if it could just last a little longer...

Nancy in NH

Edited by Nancy in NH
  • Like 3