Menu

St. Louis area hotel recommendations needed

Nemom

We are traveling to St. Louis in a couple of weeks, and I am in need of hotel recommendations.  We will spending the weekend watching racing at Gateway Motorsports Park Race Track which I believe is technically in Illinois but I prefer to stay on the Missouri side.

We will be coming from the west on I70.  I am traveling alone with my two teenagers.  Due to multiple food allergies, I need the hotel to be close to a Chipotle, Chik-fil-A, and Red Robin is possible.  Chipotle for sure.  

Anyone know of a good moderately priced hotel in the area?  Something along I70 would be awesome if the restaurants are close.

TIA!

I was going to say St. Charles, but they don’t have a Chipotle, Chik Fil a, or a Red Robin.  Why the heck did FIL move up there, lol.

Maybe look at Maryland Heights off 270, should be multiple hotels at that exit.  There should be a Chipotle near there, and I know there’s a Red Robin down at Manchester and 270.  Not sure where the closest Chik Fil A is from there.

I’m assuming gluten is a problem, what else?  DH has Celiac, so we might know a few more workable restaurants.

ETA:  Never mind, Chipotle is farther away from Maryland Heights than I thought.  Hmmm.

• Like 1

It looks like there is a Red Robin and a Drury Inn at the Mid Rivers Mall Drive exit in St. Peters.

The Cave Springs exit has a Denny’s and Longhorn, which are two of DH’s okay’d restaurants for work travel, not sure if they would work with non-gluten/wheat allergies.

Highway K in O’Fallon has all three restaurants south of 70, but I’m not sure where the hotels are up there.

3 minutes ago, scholastica said:

If you're going to be going to the Illinois side, you probably want to stay downtown or over in Collinsville IL. The Mid Rivers area is at least 45 minutes to an hour from there.

True, although to get those three specific restaurants, you'd probably have to go out to Fairview Heights or O'Fallon.  For some reason I thought the race track was further north.

• Like 1

I was born & raised in STL, and strongly agree with the others--please try to stay on the Illinois side. 
Basically for your own personal safety.

There's a Chipotle AND Drury Inn in Fairview Hghts.

There is a maze of interstates, bridge, exits, and heavy fast-moving traffic between Fairview Hgts & Downtown STL.
These highways pass over East STL, which would become a problem if you needed to drive thru (getting lost, etc.).

Yes, you should probably visit the Arch (or Forest Park) during your visit . . . but it would be hard to commute back & forth over the Mississippi River.
Honestly, I would probably Bring My Own Food, rather than commuting several times back & forth, thru all that traffic.  ?

Also the Metro Link is very safe (esp. daytime), and is an easy & inexpensive way to get from the IL side to Downtown.
https://www.metrostlouis.org/metrolink-schedule/

YMMV, literally.  ?  . . . but you just don't want to get stuck or lost in all that traffic.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beth S said:

I was born & raised in STL, and strongly agree with the others--please try to stay on the Illinois side. 
Basically for your own personal safety.

There's a Chipotle AND Drury Inn in Fairview Hghts.

There is a maze of interstates, bridge, exits, and heavy fast-moving traffic between Fairview Hgts & Downtown STL.
These highways pass over East STL, which would become a problem if you needed to drive thru (getting lost, etc.).

Yes, you should probably visit the Arch (or Forest Park) during your visit . . . but it would be hard to commute back & forth over the Mississippi River.
Honestly, I would probably Bring My Own Food, rather than commuting several times back & forth, thru all that traffic.  ?

Also the Metro Link is very safe (esp. daytime), and is an easy & inexpensive way to get from the IL side to Downtown.
https://www.metrostlouis.org/metrolink-schedule/

YMMV, literally.  ?  . . . but you just don't want to get stuck or lost in all that traffic.

Have a great trip!

Oh my gosh.  We would not be driving back and forth during the day to eat.  We will definitely be taking a cooler of food with us. Restaurants are for dinner.

I assume Fairview Heights is on the Illinois side???  I will look into it.  Thanks

• Like 1

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but when we went to St. Louis, we ended up staying at an airport hotel.  It actually wasn't our first choice, but it was apparently a peak time and we just couldn't find vacancies elsewhere.  We ended up really liking it!  We could take the shuttle to the airport and then the light rail to the downtown, the Arch and various museums.  It saved us the hassle of driving, and we enjoyed going back to the hotel at the end of the day and hanging out at the outdoor pool.

Agree that staying in IL might be easier, but if you do want to stay on the St Louis side, the specific area I am thinking of is the Drury in Brentwood.  It's right off of I-64 and I know there is Chipotle nearby.  It's also a very nice part of town, with a ton of shopping and dining - and it's close to Forest Park if you have time to visit the park and/or zoo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nemom said:

Oh my gosh.  We would not be driving back and forth during the day to eat.  We will definitely be taking a cooler of food with us. Restaurants are for dinner.

I assume Fairview Heights is on the Illinois side???  I will look into it.  Thanks

Sorry!  I understood you were considering sleeping on the MO side, & attending the event on the IL side . . . thus a "daily commute">

Yes, Fairview Heights is on the IL side, with lots & lots of retail.  St. Clair Square is the name of the large Mall area. 

Enjoy your trip!  You've gotten some great Hive advice.  ?

• 3 weeks later...