Menu

Not dry elementary/middle school textbooks

On a whim I looked at the new Notgrass American history aviable for pre order. I realized that for the past two or three years I've been trying to do Charlotte Mason and just completely discontent about the whole thing. I never could place a finger on it, but I think I have an idea. I like textbooks. I like having something all together and self contained and not having to in addition go find a zillion living books. I had avoided textbooks because up till recently all the ones I knew were very dry. 

Since this a brand new can of worms for me, I am not entirely sure how to go hunting. what are your favorite textbooks?

• Like 2

My science lover enjoys Prentice Hall Science Explorer books.  They explain the material well and are less tedious than some others we've tried.  You can buy thin books on individual topics, or you can buy thick texts that contain multiple thin ones as units.  They are older, though, so you would have to buy used.  Newer books from Prentice Hall may be better, but I haven't seen them.

• Like 1

Oh my word.... My brain is fried today.  When I read your post and thought who wants wet books-gotta love it. 

I am rolling laughing at my exhausted self.  This is what happens when an introvert spends all day with a group of her favorite people- #happy and mentally and emotionally drained.

P.S.  We love Notgrass here as it isn't dry- however each set is really 2 years not one?.

Brenda

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We also love Rod and Staff as it takes only a semester vs. 2 years-lol.  I think it isn't dry, but I do like textbooks.  I personally like the flexibility to add living books as I desire and with Notgrass it was so full that adding anything to it would be torture unless the child was a voracious reader.

Brenda

• Like 1

If you're interested in finding truly engaging textbooks you're going to have to resign yourself to previewing them.  To do this, I would buy the cheapest used copy I could find on Amazon.

That said, the best textbooks I've used are K12's Human Odyssey, K12's concise edition of A History of US, K12's American Odyssey, Ways of the World (Strayer), Zumdahl's World of Chemistry, Essential Biology, Jacobs Algebra, and the Allyn and Bacon Guide to Writing.

• Like 1

I really liked the samples I've seen from the Catholic Textbook Project. For secular, the Joy Hakim concise A History of US is good for middle school. 

I also like Galore Park textbooks. Their Junior series is for approximately grades 2-4 and the following series covers grades 5-7. We've used varying levels of their math, science, English and history books and liked them all.

Killgallon books (we used Sentence Composing for Middle School and Paragraphs for High School)

Early levels of the Michael Clay Thompson curriculum from Royal Fireworks Press.

Writing with Ease (1-3)

Treasured Conversations

I thought I would hop back on here and say that I was in the same boat, and I love textbooks.  I like that goals are set and easily understood, I like having a basic linear path to go on- that living books and hands on activities can be added to as desired, and I love that I am not over spending our very small income on a lot of consumables.  We do use a few workbooks, but the vast majority of our work is from textbooks that they fill into blank paper in 3 pronged folders.  

I should also mention Story of the World can be read by the student.  It is very conversational and doesnt take 2 years per book on average.  

Brenda