Menu

I hate writing cover letters, hate!

DawnM

They are my nemesis.  I am great in interviews and can actually brag about myself pretty well, but I am good with public speaking, facial expressions, etc.....

Consolidating that into a writing assignment makes me go stir crazy.

I want to get this into more than a rough draft today and get it read by some folks so I can send it off Monday, but ARGH!  This stinks.

That is just a fraction of what it has been like working there this past year.

I want to just hire someone to write this thing for me, but no one seems to be available to do this as quickly as I need.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

This is how I do cover letters (which I learned from a resume writer, I think):  After a brief introduction and comments about why I'm interested in the job (1-2 paragraphs), I then transition with something like "According to the job posting for this position, the following are the qualifications.  I would like to show how I meet each of these qualifications." Then I go to the job listing and copy the qualifications one by one.  Under each one, I bullet how I meet that qualification. This usually takes me into the second page of a cover letter and I wrap it up quickly after that. 

Thanks.  I have one, but the problem is, it is for the job I currently have.  I am trying to move to a different job, in which I would like to highlight things that are not normally in a resume or job description, but show that I have extensive personal experience (yes, I have professional experience as well, but this personal addition would reflect that it is such a passion that I live it outside of work.)

I meet the qualifications for the position, 90%.  The one qualification I meet, kind of.  And that qualification says, "highly desirable" and isn't a prerequisite.  

I have put in a request with a professional resume/cover writer and she couldn't give me a quote without discussing first, so we have an appt for 4pm today.  I will see what the quote looks like (I am guessing $200+) and how quickly she can get it to me.

The other issue I am having is that this is a one shot deal......there aren't multiple jobs of this particular kind all over that I can re-use this cover letter for, KWIM?  So, is it worth $200 to TRY for this ONE position?  I should ask what she would charge to have two versions of the cover and resume, although my current job I have both for and got my current job with those, so not sure it is worth changing for that.

Sigh.

• Like 1

I hear you.  I had four hours to pound one out earlier this week.  The hardest part for me is getting started.  You could try what I did.  I started with writing the whole letter in my own stream-of-consciousness words.  Slang, swear words, improper sentences, and all.  Just got it all down as quickly as possible.  This allowed me to get past the starting part and able to jot it down without being slowed by polishing.  Then I took a break and came back an hour later to tackle each paragraph one by one and put my thoughts into proper sentences, purging stuff I decided I didn't need.  Then I checked against the job description to tailor some areas to include the correct "buzz words."  Most people would do this in outline form first, but for some reason, having it in letter form makes the task seem more "complete" in my mind and less of a mental block.  Then I sent it to a few trusted people for edits and suggestions.

52 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I hear you.  I had four hours to pound one out earlier this week.  The hardest part for me is getting started.  You could try what I did.  I started with writing the whole letter in my own stream-of-consciousness words.  Slang, swear words, improper sentences, and all.  Just got it all down as quickly as possible.  This allowed me to get past the starting part and able to jot it down without being slowed by polishing.  Then I took a break and came back an hour later to tackle each paragraph one by one and put my thoughts into proper sentences, purging stuff I decided I didn't need.  Then I checked against the job description to tailor some areas to include the correct "buzz words."  Most people would do this in outline form first, but for some reason, having it in letter form makes the task seem more "complete" in my mind and less of a mental block.  Then I sent it to a few trusted people for edits and suggestions.

HA! I had already done this a couple of days ago.  I still struggle.  

But I called someone to help me and she has excellent reviews and is charging way less than I thought she would!

WhooHoo!  Honestly, I breathed better when I hung up the phone.

I did send her my stream of consciousness ranting cover letter and told her to FIX IT!  I didn't swear in it, but I did use the phrase "blah, blah, blah, buzzword crap, blah, blah" in it!  HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Well this morning I was in the same boat with you.  I made some minior Cosmetic improvements to my Resume and then I wrote an email, to respond to the Job Shop recruiter who contacted me last night.

The Resume is OK, but after thinking about what I wrote in the email,  I should have had Breakfast and Colombian Coffee in me,. before I wrote the email.

If I had it to do over I would delete about 50% of it and leave that for later...

And he tried to call me when I was in the Shower.  I would rather do this via email.  I think he is from India and I can't understand him on the phone.

Good luck with your job hunt!  Be sure you are on LinkedIN...

On 7/20/2018 at 12:02 PM, Hilltopmom said:

Good luck! I swear the only reason I didn’t apply for different teaching jobs this year is that I couldn’t bring myself to write a cover letter & get updated recommendations!

sounds pathetic when I write it out like that, huh

I am quite motivated to get out of my current situation.  Great detail isn't necessary, but my current principal did something very unprofessional (he does unprofessional things a lot!) and normally I can just keep my distance and ignore, but it got personal and now I can't ignore it anymore.