Menu

Is Key to Algebra a full pre-algebra program? Other suggestions?

staceyobu

We had a nightmare of a year last year with Saxon 8/7. We still haven't finished the text. I'd like to backtrack a little and do something else this year. Then, we can consider moving back into Saxon Algebra, or just going a different route if something else seems more successful. I just don't think I can stomach making DD repeat that book. 

She has basic facts down well. Can multiply, divide, use decimals, percents. She tends to get hung up on multi step problems. Like, she can follow a formula, but she can't figure out where to start if there are multiple things that need to be done. For instance: "The shirt is $10.87. It is 20% off. How much does the customer owe?" She could calculate 20% off, but she would never figure out she is actually looking for 80%.  Things like keeping equations the same on both sides of an = sign. She always forgets to subtract 4 from both sides. She just does it off the one. I'm not sure how to help her move forward. If it's a maturity thing, a curriculum thing, a needs more practice thing, needs better explanation, or what. If I work step by step with her, she will successfully do a problem. Then, she misses the next one like it!

The absolute best tool I have found for learning to balance equations is Dragonbox.  It's an app, but it seriously helps kids intuit how the problems need to be done. You really can't forget to subtract or divide or whatnot from both sides.  The game won't let you.  It has to be done. After a while you can have them look at the beginning problem, write it down, and then write down the steps before solving on the app. And with your age span you might consider the bundle -there's also a version for younger kids and one for geometry and they sell all three together.
The second best is Hands On Equations.  Physically moving pieces on a board helped my oldest keep his work straight, but Dragonbox is cheaper and more portable. 

• Like 2

Seconding the recommendation for Hands-On Equations. If that is too pricey, consider the Balance Benders Beginning workbook from Critical Thinking Press.

Neither one is a full pre-algebra program but it sounds like the big sticking point is the concept of making sure both sides of the equation balance and they both really hammer home that point.

For the step-by-step problem solving issue, I've heard good things about Singapore Math Process Skills in Problem Solving. I'd try the level 6 book.

Hands on Equations was my first thought, too.  And Dragon Box.  If you are a Saxon fan, if the repetition works for your student, then do Algebra 1/2.  It's what I'm doing with my current 8th grader, and I also used both with my 10th grader when she was this age.  1/2 takes all the fluff out, it's much more streamlined in the teaching, easier to follow.  She really does need another preal if she's still making those kinds of mistakes.

Even if you love Saxon personally, if you feel your daughter is too weak to move on, you might wish to consider a completely different curriculum.

Keys to Algebra is not considered a full curriculum. HOWEVER, from my experience, it has enough and teaches what it does teach, which is most of algebra 1, so well that you could do it and call it algebra 1. There are some books that are known to be gentler in algebra too, such as AGS, MUS, Teaching Textbooks (I don't care for this one), etc. I believe CLE covers algebra over two years, I think. So that might be a great option too.

Another pre-algebra program to consider is Larson's Big Ideas (red accelerated) Math or his Pre-Algebra book. (The Pre-Algebra is an older book and the red aligns to common core standards, but they both cover the pre-algebra topics.) Larson was the guy who put together Chalkdust math.

What I love about the red book is there are worksheets that go along with it. We never use the problems in the book (there are too many -- like 75 each lesson) but on Day 1 we do the lesson and the Practice A worksheet (about 25 problems). On Day 2 we go over corrections, then do the slightly harder Practice B worksheet (also about 25 problems). I find that's a really good pattern of new and review that gets remembered (kids are not mathy). 

The Red book also has "Puzzle Time" worksheets that I assign on the Practice B days -- full of more entertaining, puzzle-like problems that go along with that lesson. We did the Key To books (fractions, decimals and percents) and loved them, but I want to transition to more traditional programs from here. We also do Jacobs' MHE on Mondays which is fun. 

So, I think the Key to Algebra absolutely is a full curriculum, just with limitations. It gets a bad rap here because it's definitely easy, but that doesn't mean it doesn't do enough to be called a credit or to be a year's worth of good math, depending on the student and needs. I think you just need to consider it in context with your needs.

It's much, much easier than a traditional algebra I program, so it will not adequately prepare a student for Algebra II in a traditional program by itself. It is an algebra, not a pre-algebra, so there are a number of topics that pre-algebra focuses on that will not be adequately covered in Key to Algebra - including things like percents, which you specifically mentioned. 

I agree with the above that Dragonbox and Hands on Equations are amazing, innovative resources that are literally the very best thing you can possibly use to get a student ready for and fluent in doing equations.

The problem your dd is facing does not seem to be dealing with equations though. I'll bet that doing those things would be helpful, but I don't think most of the resources mentioned would help. Dragonbox focuses solely on equations out of context. Key to Algebra is very focused on the algorithms and slow practice. HoE has that word problems book - if you do it, you absolutely need that. Without it, it does the exact same thing as Dragonbox. I would say you need to do something like Problems Without Figures or anything that takes the focus away from the numbers and the math. What you're saying is basically that she can't answer the word problems because she can't seem to understand what they're actually asking, even though she can do the math.