Menu

Humorous Beginning Reader Suggestions

My daughter really, really likes Elephant and Piggie books. I'm trying to find slightly longer books (a length more like Mr. Putter and Tabby or Nate the Great) that will capture her interest in the same way. She likes the humor and silliness of the Elephant and Piggie books. We've tried Mercy Watson and Flat Stanley (the easy readers, not the chapter books), but she wasn't into it. We've tried other beginning readers (like Mr. Putter and Tabby) and although she'll read them, she doesn't get into them in the same way.

For some reason, nearly all early readers seem to be of the form NAME and NAME.

Ling and Ting

Frog and Toad

Zoey and Sassafras

Sam and Charlie

Katie Woo

Bink and Gollie

Fox and Friends

George and Martha

Babymouse (with help - this is properly a graphic novel and a little trickier)

Sofia Martinez

Bradford Street Buddies

Rafi and Rosi

Luke on the Loose

Confetti Kids

Buzz Beaker

For nonfiction, you can do worse than get some of the DK books on subjects like dogs, lightning, dinosaurs, and so on. Or you can try her on a children's magazine series, like Ladybug.

• Like 1

Nothing is as good as Elephant and Piggie unfortunately. Have you tried the Elephant and Piggie are reading books? They aren't longer but they are similar humor and style. 

Some of the Berenstein Bears early reader books are good. My kids have liked the Biscuit readers too.

• Like 1

My kids loved Henry and Mudge.

When she's ready for beginning chapter books, both of my kids found Junie B. Jones to be pretty funny.  Be warned though, the grammar is atrocious (the kid who read these aloud to me actually unconsciously corrected the grammar) and the books have been banned for not portraying proper social values.

• Like 1

Munsch is quite a bit harder than Elephant and Piggie (although he's hilarious!) and I'm sorry to say that the Berenstain Bear early readers (not the moralizing books, the ones like Old Hat, New Hat or Inside, Outside, Upside Down) are probably too easy for instructional purposes if she's moving past E&P. You have the same problem with Jan Thomas' books, which is why I didn't suggest them. It's a tricky reading level.

• Like 1

In terms of reading level, she's probably a little beyond the beginning reader books. She has read a few Kingdom of Wrenly books, along with Princess in Black and The 13-Story Treehouse. She reads those to herself (although she does have to ask for help with some of the longer words). I mostly want beginning reader books for her to read aloud to me during school time. I believe that reading books lower than the instructional level helps build fluency and confidence. 

With the Elephant and Piggie books, she would be so interested in them that she would read them to herself as soon as we would get them home from the library. Then she would insist on reading them to me right away. They were also the only books she'd keep for more than a week after finishing them (in order to reread them). She's finished all of those books, and needs slightly longer books for that purpose. But I haven't found anything that has excited her in the same way.