Menu

Merit Scholarships & Moving Off Campus

Joker

How does this usually work? I'm thinking forward to next year when ds and two of his friends attending the same college are talking about getting an apartment. Dd also plans to attend same school in two years and it would be helpful if she could also end up in an apartment since dh and I will probably have to move out of state at that point.

Ds has three different merit scholarships (no financial aid from anywhere else) and I'm wondering if the amounts will change if he moves off campus. Would they probably still use those to pay tuition and books but just not give him what's leftover for room and board? I'll obviously talk to the school at some point but right now I'm just wondering what others have experienced with this.

You need to talk to the college. 

At DD's college, the college financial aid gets reduced when a student moves off campus; since her cost was so much lower off campus, we came out ahead nonetheless. Her school, however, does not give any "merit" aid; the merit is getting in, the grant aid is all need based.

At DS' college, merit scholarship is a fixed amount only dependent on GPA and not on housing arrangements.

• Like 1

Our experience is similar to Regentrude's - that this is a school dependent issue. Both my kids merit aid was unaffected  by living arrangements, but my niece's was impacted enough that it was financially necessary to remain on campus all 4 years. 

Check with the school.

My ds's financial aid is affected by whether he lives on campus. We haven't yet looked into whether it would actually cost more to live off campus or not. He'd lose some money, but he might come out ahead. He's definitely living on campus next year (sophomore year). Junior year he may do study abroad one semester, so it will probably be easier to live on campus for the other semester rather than try to find an apartment for a few months. So really it's just senior year that he might live off campus. We'll run numbers at some point soon so he can plan ahead.

The bottom line is that I agree - check with the school.

My daughter's merit scholarship was a fixed annual amount dependent on gpa and full time status only. Her living arrangements were irrelevant. 

She got merit scholarships at other universities that required her living in the honors college dorm for two years. I am not sure how moving out would have affected her scholarship. You will definitely want to read your son's scholarship offer and or contact his college.

Completely school and scholarship dependent, you need to check specifically. 

There are definitely merit scholarships that are specifically offered for on-campus housing. My oldest dd has one for tuition, one for on-campus housing (the web site wording used to read just housing, but now specifies on-campus housing)/ At a different school, my youngest was offered one that was a specific amount for any school expense, and one that was a specific amount for on-campus housing only. 

Completely depends on the school.  Son #1's school is 30% living on campus and 70% tuition, so leaving on-campus living makes him lose that %, but can actually still be cheaper, depending on the rent for an apartment.  Thankfully it is NOT tied to food, so he can live in an on-campus apartment and get off the meal plan completely if he wants to and it won't affect his scholarship.

Son #2 has a scholarship that is solely for tuition, so moving off-campus won't affect him at all.