Menu

What do you like/dislike about LLATL?

mo2

We tried this years ago when my older dc were young. However, we did not use the phonics/reading portion, but began the series with the next level up. We tried using this program for two years. The first year we did the program as directed and really, by the end of the year, my dc hardly remembered anything that we had studied. The next year I tried supplementing it with a copybook and drills. They did not remember anything that year either!

I was really bummed about it too, because it was such a neat idea, a pretty package and it did cover lots of LA concepts. I liked that LLATL used "real" writing for models. I liked that all sorts of LA concepts were covered using the models. It also was fun for me to do this program. In the end however, I of course had to switch to a more intensive program. Luckily, with God's help, the new curriculum I found uses "real" writing models too, which was the feature I liked best about LLATL anyways.

I've used Blue and Red to teach ds to read and it's worked well for us. I did add in Pathway readers which helped build his fluency and ETC to reinforce phonics and sneak in more handwriting practice while using Blue. This year we also use Spelling Workout B and Plaid Phonics B. I have sat down with R&S Grammar 2 and FLL to compare with LLATL Red. They are more rigorous, but they cover the same territory (without the reading and phonics). I think it comes down to the teacher and student to see whether LLATL works or not. It's worked well as a 'learn to read' program, but I don't know if ds will retain enough grammar yet to continue to use it as a grammar/writing program for 3rd and up. I do plan to use LLATL Blue with dd starting in January because of the good experience ds and I had with it.

What I like:

1. I like that it's all there.

2. I like that it uses real literature.

3. I like that it incorporates copywork, dictation, and narration in the weekly lessons.

4. I like the phonics. I don't know if anything else would have worked as well with my ds who struggled with reading.

5. I like that it isn't "rammy" in style.

6. I like the special sections in the older levels on poetry, essay writing, public speaking, newspaper, book making, journal writing, etc.

7. I like the grammar in the upper grades.

8. I like that it works for all 3 dc despite their absolute different learning styles.

9. I like that I don't need to buy the teacher's manual.

What I don't like:

1. I don't like that I had to supplement grammar drills starting in about 4th grade. I wish there were more drills earlier on.

2. I don't like that the Purple book's book studies tend to the girlie side of things (this according to my ds10).

3. I don't like the spelling or handwriting at all. I supplement the spelling with Spelling Power.

That's about it. I've enjoyed using this program. It's been great for my dc and they've thrived in LA.

I tried really hard to make this work for our family. I don't like their program for children just learning to read. I'm all about phonics and learning to sound out words. I love A Beka's stuff so, we didn't buy it for my youngest.

For my oldest, I looked into it extensively because I so like the idea behind it. However, she read all the books for her level (yellow) in first and second grade. If I put her in the Orange Level, she'd miss some key lessons so I was stuck. I also don't like their handwriting or copywork. Since that's part of what you're paying for, and I'd have to purchase a separate handwriting program, I'd always feel jipped :glare:

So, I purchase each of my LA components separately, and that seems to work for us.

HTH!

I would never use it as my only grammar program. I actually use LLATL and Writing Tales together and pick and pull from each. My son loves the fables in WT, and I think WT has better all around grammar instruction. That said, I also supplement with GWG because neither program has all the grammar practice he needs. I like the Units in LLATL though - it touches on more than just book studies and I like that.

For us it needed way too much supplementation in all areas: spelling, phonics, and grammar.

I also felt that a different program would utilize my time better in teaching reading. I felt that I could teach my child to read in much less time with a different phonics program. I really liked the idea of LLATL, but implementation wise, it was quite lacking for 'us'.

Depends on the kid. It's working very well for my son--the slow, gentle approach that does not require a huge amount of writing is perfect for where he is (8 y.o. second grader using the Red book). It would not have been a good fit for my dd. She needed to move faster, she needed more, and I would have had to put her several levels ahead to challenge her at all. But for ds, it's great!

The program is working well here. We're LCC in focus, I work almost 30 hours a week, and I need my English program to be easy to implement. LLATL is very easy to implement and the lessons are short. While I adore the short lessons, everyday I find myself thinking, "That's it?!" lol.

As far as supplementing... grammar and vocabulary: there's no diagramming until the 7th grade but grammar is covered. We also cover quite a bit of grammar and vocabulary in Latin and Greek. The writing is on the light side. Again, I don't supplement because the children also write for history and science, as well as during their free time. They love to write stories and letters. I want a program to teach them HOW to write, which is what LLATL does. The same with literature, LLATL is light on their book studies, but Biblioplan has a literature component to it. One child spells wonderfully, and LLATL is sufficient. Two children need more work, and I have them doing Calvert Spelling CD-roms on their own.

Another point I've appreciated, because the lessons are short and sweet, I've noticed my children are developing a tendency to go above and beyond the assignments. If they're asked to do some research and write a page in summary, they'll grab 4-5 books and write a 2-3 page report. :001_huh: We all have breathing room using LLATL and I have a wonderful balance with the children.

We did to back to this LA curriculum a few times through the years with our 3 children. I guess I simply liked the idea of all areas of LA to be incorporated into one and wanted it to work so badly.

The truth is, it did work---and could, but I ended up supplementing so many areas with more that I realized we were being very eclectic despite my desire to have a focal point. The other problem was that my children are advid readers. So, each time we tried this the book studies would be books my kiddos already read. They could still do the study, but I found that redundant and not as joyful, etc. so I would stick in my own.

I guess what I am saying is it CAN work....it is definately on the light side of grammar being delayed and in other areas, but may be a good fit for some. Everyone is individual. We are probably too much of free birds here for it to have stuck.

I really wanted it to work for my kids...but it didnt . I found my son struggled with the copywork. (tan) I didnt think he was learning a lot with it. I bought it for my dd (3rd grade) I found it too easy. I think she could have done the work in 1st. so I sold it right away.

This year I am loving SL la. It breaks down the reading which I love...It is working perfect for all 3 of my kids. It has copy work...but not overwhelming...and everything is a wonderful fit.

We tried Orange book this year. We did about 6 weeks' of lessons and then were done.

I liked the variety and that the grammar was based on real literature. I liked the copywork and the book studies. I didn't like the writing assignments. I felt they asked too much of a 4th grader. There wasn't enough literature and the grammar was too easy. We never tried to use the spelling sections.

I think it might work if your dc was exactly on grade level in all areas of language arts. Anyone got one like that? Not me....

It's excellent. I used the Blue & Red kits to teach my ds to read. He loved it and is a very strong, confident reader. I stopped using it after that because of the religious content. If there were a secular LLATL I'd be on it like white on rice.

If you don't mind the religious content, go for it. It really is wonderful.