Menu

Soap allergy?

school17777

What could be in the Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap that I’m allergic too?

I got a really good deal on that soap last fall and bought a ton of it.  After using it for a bit, I got itchy bumps all over my body that scabbed up and took awhile to go away.  I was miserable and very close to going to a doctor, but I sucked it up and just let it run it’s course.

Well, I still have the soap in the closet and dh put it the shower.  I figured what the heck, I’ll try it again.  I used it once or twice, I don’t remember when he put it in.  I last showered Sat using the soap.  Yesterday, I started getting itchy and couldn’t figure out why.  Today, I am itchy all over and I have those bumps all over like last fall, so definitely the soap.  

I am not allergic to many things.  Just the typical poison ivy, geraniums (from my seasonal job).  So what could be in this soap that I’m allergic to?

We have company coming so I have to get up and running for the day and I just want to take benedryl and go back to bed.  I’ll take a Zyrtec and hopefully that will help calm down the itching.  I’m kicking myself for using that soap again.

Don't know what to do with all the soap.  I hesitate to donate as I don’t want anyone else to suffer, or maybe I’m just a rare one with a reaction to it.  (Dh hasn’t had a reaction)

I don't know about that brand, but DS4 had the exact same reaction when I bought some of the Softsoap foaming pumps for the bathroom (I refill the foam pumps with dish soap and hot water, I just needed new pumps).  It was mostly around his wrists and back sides of his hands away from his fingers where he probably didn't rinse off the soap very well.  Fingers were okay.  He has eczema, but has never had a problem with hand soaps before.  Is it possible the soap didn't rinse off well, and is more skin irritation than allergy reaction?

I don't know what could be in it to give you a reaction. Maybe there is something related to geranium?   But as for what to do with it, if your husband is using it without trouble, why not just have him continue to use it and you use something else?   Or if you just want to get rid of it, I would not hesitate to donate unopened bottles as you can't predict that anyone else will have the same reaction you do. 

It could be an oil they use, or maybe the olive oil saponification? It's hard to say.  Oldest DS had the worst time with soaps when he was growing up - one of the worst was an upscale 'natural' soap he got once.  Never knew what exactly was the cause.  We stripped back to products I knew he could handle that were scent/dye free and watched him outgrow some of it.

That's pretty strange, and sounds so uncomfortable! That soap seems like the most gentle, natural soap ever, with only a couple ingredients, but apparently other people have your same allergy: http://hotinkreviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/kiss-my-face-more-like-kiss-my-butt.html Some of them theorize it's a chemical used in the extraction of olive oil....? Maybe the technique used to make food-grade olive oil and shampoo olive oil are different?

20 minutes ago, Mainer said:

That's pretty strange, and sounds so uncomfortable! That soap seems like the most gentle, natural soap ever, with only a couple ingredients, but apparently other people have your same allergy: http://hotinkreviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/kiss-my-face-more-like-kiss-my-butt.html Some of them theorize it's a chemical used in the extraction of olive oil....? Maybe the technique used to make food-grade olive oil and shampoo olive oil are different?

Thanks for that review.  I looked up some earlier, but they seemed to like the soap.

Last time, I probably could have used steroids to get over the reaction.  I hope it doesn’t get as bad this time.

I don’t think I should have dh still use it and kept it in the shower because I’m afraid the steam could still cause me to react to the soap and it’s not worth it.

Dh wondered why I bought more and figured it was ok to use again.  No, it was from last time!

Anyone want some free soap?!

33 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

It could be an oil they use, or maybe the olive oil saponification? It's hard to say.  Oldest DS had the worst time with soaps when he was growing up - one of the worst was an upscale 'natural' soap he got once.  Never knew what exactly was the cause.  We stripped back to products I knew he could handle that were scent/dye free and watched him outgrow some of it.

It is ironic that I’m reacting to a “natural” soap.  Guess I’ll stick with the chemical laden soaps that I’ve never had a reaction to.

• Like 1