Menu

The Graduation Prep Teachers Lounge 5-14-2018

scrapbookbuzz

Happy Monday and welcome to the Lounge!

Today's theme stems from the fact my daughter will be graduating from high school in just 3 short weeks. Gahhh!!! ?
Yes, it's wonderful and daunting all at the same time! You get so "in the thick of it" so often, that sometimes these things seem to happen all.at.once.

Anyone in your family graduating soon? Here: just dd19. She is my Super Senior. Took her two years for senior year and that is OKAY. I told her about a year and a half
before her senior year that she might not graduate at 18 and that was okay. I wanted her to KNOW the material rather than strive to meet someone else's perceived deadline for her.

Planning any graduation or other types of parties soon? Here: we're doing a private ceremony and potluck for friends and family. Last year, she and I went to the AFHE Graduation ceremony
since so many of her friends and peers were graduating. She's glad she went but said it was "way too big" and not what she wanted. So we're holding it at a local lake. Hopefully, it won't be TOO
toasty warm at 6pm outside!

What's on your schedule today? Here: this morning, opening the Lounge, while I sip my tea and munch on some double chocolate gluten-free muffins. Also, need to send out the graduation invitations 
(a little late, I know). Plus a slew of other things. Still need to find out if I have a meeting to attend tonight or not.

Talk to me! :bigear:

• Like 1

High school graduation happening on June 2.  We're doing it with a local homeschool organization, which is sort of like herding cats -- all the meetings to make sure everyone agrees on every detail -- yikes!  We have a meeting tomorrow night, as a matter of fact, so that's on my mind.  I'm on the committee to put together the program, and am currently trying to get people to tell me how they want their student's name listed in the program.  Also, how many do we need to print?  Seriously, if anyone has insight into that, let me know.  Is there some sort of rule of thumb, like # of graduates times 15 equals number of programs?

College graduation happened last week.  Currently continuing to sort all the flotsam that has arrived back at our house from college student returning home for a few weeks before heading to her next stop -- summer in Ithaca, NY (anyone from the Hive in that area?).  

And, about to head out the door to get 3 bags of bark mulch plus some plants for the pots out back.  I will use weeding, mulching, and planting as my time to be in a stress-free zone, not thinking about the blasted programs. Ugh, why did I volunteer for this committee? I just keep telling myself that a month from now it will all be over -- the graduation will have happened, older dd will be in Ithaca, I will be sitting here with the cats planning something fun like our vacation.

• Like 1

Gail, just think of it as an adventure! Enjoy the process and the company and the results of a job well done! Thanks for the comment about the programs.
Didn't think about printing one for DD's ceremony. May just print schedule on butcher block paper and post it somewhere. Hmmm . . .

• Like 2

No graduations here.  Dd has a year and a half left of grad school, the other two still have a few years left (5 and 7 years).  

I started bringing home my class supplies from the classroom I've been using so the back of my car is full of stuff.  I'm going to have to get it cleaned out this week because we might be carpooling to some activities with friends.   We might have found a space for next year but we're waiting to hear from the realtor with answers to some questions we had.  Keep your fingers crossed for us, this space would be perfect!

• Like 1

Congratulations to all the graduates!!

No graduations in our family anytime soon. Dd won't graduate until December 2020. There are a couple graduation parties that I might make it to, though. 

There aren't any parties in the works, either. 

Today, I had a board meeting for lunch with our homeschool group. The rest of today will be helping dd pack. She leaves in the morning for 16 days in Italy. 

6 hours ago, GailV said:

High school graduation happening on June 2.  We're doing it with a local homeschool organization, which is sort of like herding cats -- all the meetings to make sure everyone agrees on every detail -- yikes!  We have a meeting tomorrow night, as a matter of fact, so that's on my mind.  I'm on the committee to put together the program, and am currently trying to get people to tell me how they want their student's name listed in the program.  Also, how many do we need to print?  Seriously, if anyone has insight into that, let me know.  Is there some sort of rule of thumb, like # of graduates times 15 equals number of programs?

College graduation happened last week.  Currently continuing to sort all the flotsam that has arrived back at our house from college student returning home for a few weeks before heading to her next stop -- summer in Ithaca, NY (anyone from the Hive in that area?).  

And, about to head out the door to get 3 bags of bark mulch plus some plants for the pots out back.  I will use weeding, mulching, and planting as my time to be in a stress-free zone, not thinking about the blasted programs. Ugh, why did I volunteer for this committee? I just keep telling myself that a month from now it will all be over -- the graduation will have happened, older dd will be in Ithaca, I will be sitting here with the cats planning something fun like our vacation.

We had a maximum number of guests everyone could invite.  Added to that were a couple per family and I was pretty close the year I was in charge of that.  Had some leftover.

My last one, dd, graduates this year.  She just ordered her announcement/invites last night, tho she did FB invites a few weeks ago.  Need to get those in the mail pronto!  She only had one day in June available for the party, so that's the date of our open house.

Tradition for us is a pig roast and lots of sides.  Dh reserved the grill months ago, so we're good to go there.  I've been searching for my food list the last couple days.  Wouldn't you know I saw it recently but apparently didn't put it in a safe place!  Lots of cleaning to do-- we serve out of one garage and use the second for indoor seating.  One way to get that done. lol

All her friends are graduating through with 2 yr degrees from the local colleges, so that leaves her without a graduation ceremony.  She wanted to stay in the home school group til the end like her brothers, plus she was busy with soccer, basketball, ballet and New Wine.  Our homeschool group gave her a table to put pictures and momentos on at the  closing night, so she was pleased with that.

• Like 1

We just had our graduation ceremony with our local homeschool group this past Saturday. It turned out really great.  There were 19 graduates and everyone did a great job. We had the full ceremony which was nice including slideshow and light refreshments after.  The kids each had an “accomplishment” table so that was great. The tables were along the outside of the eating tables. I think there were 300 people who attended. It did take many meetings and lots of planning, but it was worth it. For programs we did one keepsake program that families ordered then a small ceremony program for the event.

• Like 2

Anyone in your family graduating soon? Here: Dd graduates from the local high school next Monday night.  While she will still be a homeschool graduate, she gets to walk graduation with the rest of the class ... her diploma cover will be empty.  She still has a couple of things left to do for me.  Finish her online pre-calc class, take a Health final and finish her Personal Finance class.  

Planning any graduation or other types of parties soon? Here: We are having her party on June 10th.  She is my youngest and most social so this party is stressing me out.  We are using this deadline to get some projects done around the house, namely get to our "best of the 90s" living room, complete with 26 year old furniture".  We had the kitchen and bathroom cabinets painted.  This weekend, we will have the hardwood floors in our living room/dining room refinished.  Which means clearing out 20 years worth of homeschooling stuff and a business I had for 13 years.  Lots of online selling.  I am feeling rather panicked about this.  We also need to paint the ceilings, remove 2 walls of wallpaper, paint the living/dining room, paint the bathroom, and get new living room furniture.  Oh, and all those little things for having a party.  We have just sent emails to people she knows she wants to come to save the date.  She doesn't want graduation announcements/invitations done until she gets her graduation pictures done, which will be next Sunday.  The photographer said she will pick a good shot and do any post-processing (namely color correcting the yellowed clear braces) so that I can get invites done post-haste.

What's on your schedule today? Here: This morning I worked for the cabinet refinishing company I have been contracting with.  She hires mostly neighborhood moms because the hours are convenient for kids in school (but she is crunched for the summer because fewer people are available to work.)  Today, I got to use the drill to remove cabinet doors and drawer fronts and do all the taping in prep for cleaning, sanding, and priming.  Call me "Rosie the un-Riveter."  Next up ... I need to make some major headway on our living room and dining room.  Goals ... I will empty the cabinet my biz supplies are in and get a box for shredding.  Then pull all the homeschool books I plan to sell and put them in bins to get ready to price and list them.  Oh, and study for my final tomorrow.   

22 hours ago, scrapbookbuzz said:

A bit late to this one but I finally got into my account after a very busy spring.

Anyone in your family graduating soon? Oldest is done. We finished up high school work last week. Yeah! 

Planning any graduation or other types of parties soon? Party is this Sunday. And this week is all about getting the last bit of planning done. I'm ordering sandwiches today and making the rest of the food.

What's on your schedule today? Yesterday was the busy errand day but today we're staying home and working on the big house project. We're taking the summer off of schoolwork and decluttering the entire house. Today's area is the bathroom closet.