Menu

People are nice

regentrude

What a nice post title to see.  My husband calls me a Pollyanna, but I like to think that there are wonderful people out there in the world.

I'm glad to see from your other post that the thrift store was a success for your daughter as well as for your husband's postdoc.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I really like to see stories like these.  It gives me some hope in a world that seems (to me) to be growing more cruel, mean, dishonest, and cold by the day.   I also love to see how board members here help each other out and support each other.  There are so many good people in the world.

I love this, too.  I have been so fortunate and have been the recipient of so much kindness from strangers.  We don't have any support from family, but I am so appreciative and grateful for how generous others have been with their time and support when it's needed.  It is very touching.

Twice in the last six months I have been putting air in my tires ( 2 different vehicles) and strangers stopped to ask me if I need help.  LOL....one time it was a woman not much younger than me.  I think I had on a dress so maybe I looked out of sorts.  The second time it was a man who had a wife in his car.  Again I think I must have looked pitiful or something.  I mean I do despise putting air in my tires but I am capable of doing it.  Still nice people to offer. 

• Like 1

About 20 years ago my car stalled on a busy street in San Francisco.  Emerging from the sidewalks were some guys who just grabbed onto my car and pushed it to the curb.  I didn't even ask for help, they just knew what to do.  Amazing!  

Call me old fashioned, but I love it when men feel the need to rescue us gals.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daijobu said:

Call me old fashioned, but I love it when men feel the need to rescue us gals.  

Last year, my husband and his (male) international student were helped by an elderly lady. Again, a thrift store furniture buy that didn't fit in the car. The guys had tried to take the desk apart, but it still didn't fit. The lady asked them where they needed to go and offered them to drive it there in her truck.

• Like 9

When my son was a toddler, my Honda's engine died at an intersection. A man with kids asked me to leave my son with his wife and steer the car while he pushed it to the side of the road. A woman in the next lane got out to tell me to be safe when I picked my toddler and walked to the sidewalk. And while I was waiting on the side of the road for my DH to come and pick us up and deal with the tow truck, a man stopped and asked me if I needed cash for gas for my car. I thanked him and said that the problem was that the engine was dead and not the gas and that I was not in need of money. I almost burst into tears at the kindness that I experienced in an area of the country where people generally don't have much time for each other. Yes. Most people are really nice. 

• Like 4

Yesterday I was at the post office when I couldn't find a pen in my purse. I asked the lady next to me if she had a spare I could use and she gladly pulled one out of her purse and handed it to me. By the smile on her face, I think she was truly glad she could do a little something to help someone else out.

When I asked a question here about a quilt I'm working on for my grandchild, I had two people offer and send me fabric (such cute fabric too!). Then I had a friend who was making a trip from VA to Tampa make a stop along the way to give me bags loaded with fabric AND with yarn so I could crochet something for the baby too. The world really can be a good place.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Twice in the last six months I have been putting air in my tires ( 2 different vehicles) and strangers stopped to ask me if I need help.  LOL....one time it was a woman not much younger than me.  I think I had on a dress so maybe I looked out of sorts.  The second time it was a man who had a wife in his car.  Again I think I must have looked pitiful or something.  I mean I do despise putting air in my tires but I am capable of doing it.  Still nice people to offer. 

My dd was with a friend, both under 18, and had a tire go low. They stopped for air and an older man stopped and offered to help. He checked all the tires and aired them up for the girls. They would have managed, but were very relieved to get help! I think I come off as very competent, no one ever offers to help me, but I love people who help my children!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, regentrude said:

Today I was blessed by a random act of kindness from two strangers. I had been shopping at Salvation Army (clothes for DD) and had seen a table that I thought would be just right for my husband's new postdoc who still does not have any furniture in his apartment. So I bought the table,  but it did not quite fit into the trunk of my car (hatchback). Two gentlemen just happened to be there; one got a wrench out of his pocket, the other got one from his car, and they helped me remove the table legs, which took quite a while, and load the table into my car.

This is not the first time random people have been nice to me, especially in this town. I like to think that most people are actually kind - it's more fun to live in a world like that. It's easy to lose sight of that, and I am happy these friendly and helpful strangers reminded me.

I can't let this thread fall to page 2 without pointing out that your thoughtfulness and generosity makes you a member of your own "nice people" category.  :)

• Like 4