Menu

Command strips don't work!

Night Elf

We moved dd out of her dorm yesterday. We had to take  down a command hook that was held up by two strips. I knew to pull the tab straight down, not at an angle and to do it slowly. With both strips, the tab broke. Then we tried to pry the strip off the wall and one took away the paint while the other one took away the wall board. So naturally she got dinged on that from the guy checking her out. He thinks it will cost about $10 in damage fees. That's not too bad. I'm worried they're going to want to charge more. I told her we shouldn't try using them again in a rental.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

We've had excellent luck with them but yes, sometimes they don't want to come off correctly. Heating the strip with a blow dryer usually loosens the adhesive quickly, and allows them to be removed with no damage.

Good to know! I have a ton of pictures and what-not held up with command strips so I was starting to freak out a bit so this hint will definitely stay in my memory banks when it's time to take them down.

• Like 1

We've had mostly good luck but not always. And then there was the year that a small hook tore a giant hole in dd's dorm room bathroom wall. We patched it up with toothpaste and didn't get dinged for it.

(Which is surely more of a reflection on the person checking the room than our patching proficiency.)

• Haha 1

DD's university allows command strips but no nails.  DS's university allows nails but no command strips.  His university says that they are easily removed during the first two months, but after a semester or two semesters the removal often causes damage.

I have had command strips rip large patches off my walls. And yet here, I am still using them -- DH isn't impressed. I'm hoping hey are more successful on painted drywall than on the other walls that have some kind of painted paper coating on top of plaster walls.

I love Command strips because they work so well on my walls. I've never had a problem with them and I use them all the time. However, a friend of mine has used them and they tear up her walls every single time! I don't know what the difference is? drywall? paint?