Menu

Do you use these math manipulatives after 5th grade?

I really want to purge but I am hesitating for some reason. TIA!

Do any of you find you use these after 5th?

• Foam fraction pieces set (large box)
  • Pizza Fractions
  • Unifix cubes
  • Geoboard
  • 3D Shapes

Note: even if I get rid of the above fraction stuff, I still have a set of the fraction rectangles and a small circle fraction set 

Note 2: I have one very hands-on kinesthetic learner.

I still use the geometric shapes with DD to show the difference between a triangular prism and a pyramid, for ex. I haven’t had a reason to use the pizza fractions or foam fractions since then. I don’t even thing we use the unifix cubes after Gr3. Still, like you, I’ve held on to all of them, lol!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I still use the geometric shapes with DD to show the difference between a triangular prism and a pyramid, for ex. I haven’t had a reason to use the pizza fractions or foam fractions since then. I don’t even thing we use the unifix cubes after Gr3. Still, like you, I’ve held on to all of them, lol!

I still have counting bears too. The boys used to wage wars with them while we were listening to SOTW. I guess I'm sentimental about them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We pulled out dice sets for geometric shapes not too long ago. I suppose if we'd had manipulatives, I would have used them. Though, really, the dice sets made it much more exciting. Your d20 is an icosahedron! Ooh.

We have used the C-rods a few times in middle school. But at this point I can't part with them for sentimental reasons. We used some of the pattern tiles for a project a couple of times, so I was glad I kept them as well.

• Like 1

I guess it would depend on the math program you use.  We use Saxon and those manipulatives are used heavily in K-3.  The 3-D shapes we used for the 4th or 5th grade level book  but the Saxon book provided a template for the shapes that the student cuts out and tapes together.  

• Like 1

My daughter (youngest) has graduated, and I still own C-rods and Base 10 Blocks. (Also Pattern Blocks). She and I are both sentimental about them, LOL! I envision passing them on to grandkids because who doesn't love great math manipulatives?!

I also kept Math-U-See blocks for a few extra years, but did decide to part with those (and also counting bears and some other math stuff). MUS used manipulatives into the high school levels, so it made sense. 

If you're torn, keep them another year--or ask your child. You may find there's a strong attachment (or not) that might sway you one way or another.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, perkybunch said:

I used 3D shapes and geoboard in Geometry and Algebra 2.  It helps when discussing conic sections to actually have a cone, and some conic sections (I actually bought wooden conic sections during high school).  

I had not thought of using the geoboards for this. I was inclined to hold onto the 3D shapes though become of geometry. I have one that is great at visualizing three dimensions and one that is more like me (so not good at it--ha!).