Menu

How can you tell if a windbreaker is waterproof?

Teaching3bears

you want breathable/waterproof.   you want it to allow perspiration to pass through, but not water droplets.

this isn't something you're likely to get cheap, unless you find one on sale. (i lucked out with a clearance gortex rainsuit for dh from sierra trading post.  not particularly high quality -but better than most.)  there are many gortex knockoffs - and that's what you're looking for.

there was a modern marvels on "waterproof".   they took a pair into a "rain room".  one guy was decked in gortex, the other in "waterproof". ... only the person in gortex was actually dry when they were done.

seasonally, costco will have rainsuits - which are decent for the price.

4 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

It did not say anything on it.   I wanted something lightweight without lining.  I do not want to buy online because I really want to see the size.

It was very thin.  Maybe it will not protect against wind and he gets cold easily.

So much of this too depends on the climate you're going to be using this in.  I've lived in three very different climates in the last three years and my windbreaker needs have varied greatly (wind protection v. rain protection).

5 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

It was very thin.  Maybe it will not protect against wind and he gets cold easily.

E.g.

This Columbia lightweight no lining jacket would keep him dry but you would need to layer for warm. We like it for places with rain but less wind chill e.g Portland, Oregon.

https://www.columbia.com/boys-glennaker-rain-jacket-1574731.html

This Lands End jacket would keep him dry and warm but is not a lightweight. We use them for wind chills and snow play.

https://www.landsend.com/products/boys-squall-parka/id_314434

Both brands can be found at Marshall’s.