Menu

Dog people: boarding choices

Innisfree

We're considering options for boarding our dogs when we're away for a vacation.

What would you consider most important when boarding dogs for a multi-week period? This is the first time I've had to leave them this long, and without the possibility of family members caring for them. :-(

The choices:

Their vet, who we love, has a boarding facility. Runs are inside, roughly 3x5, with an outside exercise yard. Facility is staffed during normal office hours, no one there overnight or part of Sunday. $$.

Another vet has a boarding facility which is similar but staffed 24 hours a day. $$$.

A family-run kennel, older (1980s), with inside runs about the size of the first but connected to individual, 12' long outside runs. They also have an exercise yard which is smaller than the others, but have said they could give our dogs their own separate playtime, which would definitely be best. The family lives on the property but is not home 100% of the time. They have limited (12) reviews on Facebook, all of which are 5 stars. I'm not sure how much weight to give that. $.

Assume all facilities look clean and safe. All indoor spaces have heat and a/c. Which would you pick? What else should I be asking?

Edited by Innisfree
Spelling

How often are the family run boarding owners around?  

Are dogs put out in supervised groups ?  Just by themselves?  How is barking handled?  Meals?

Do they offer a meet and greet opportunity to see how things are run?   How many dogs do they usually have?

If care is comparable I would go with family run. But I help with a family run operation and it is so much better for the dogs (more personalized care) so I have that bias. 

• Like 3

The family-run place has a total of something like 15 runs. They have a separate cat area as well. 

Dogs are out in supervised groups, but they said they could give our two their own separate playtime. Since one of ours is older, I like that.

As far as I can tell, care is comparable. They've said they are happy for us to stop by, just to call ahead, but when we tried last week they were out. Hard to tell how often they are really gone. We're going to try again today.

At the vets' facilities I'd want to know how many times a day the dogs are taken outside.

Barring any health issues that would make the vets' facilities the better choice I'd lean towards the family run facility, with as much playtime as you can work into your budget (I'm assuming there's an extra charge for each play session; that's the way it was the last time I boarded a dog). I would especially lean towards the family run facility if your dogs are used to going outside a lot--if they spend time alone outside in a fenced yard or are used to being let in/out on demand. That's not such a big thing if you have an apartment dog or a dog who has little/no desire to spend time outside.

Also, each facility should allow you in for a tour before you decide. You don't have to do that, but I wouldn't use a place that wouldn't allow it. That would be a huge red flag.

And ditto Jean's point about finding out how barking is handled. It's not unheard of for boarding kennels to slap a bark collar on an unusually vocal dog.

• Like 2

I prefer to board my dogs with our vet because I like knowing they are in expert hands if a health problem arises. We've known our vet and his staff for many years, though, and know that they take excellent care of their boarders. I would be hesitant to leave my dogs with anyone I didn't know well and trust.

• Like 1

Agreeing with the others about choosing the family run place.

Would there be the option of keeping the dogs in your home, and having someone come 3x a day? I charge $15 for a 30 min visit and in that sort of situation would recommend 3 or 4 times a day. Some people choose 3 times, but make the midday shorter and make the dinner visit an hour, so dog goes out to the potty/eats-plays/potties again before walker leaves. 

If you can afford it, I like the idea of keeping dogs in their own homes. It does get expensive, though. If you can get a neighbor to do even a quick "let out in the yard" during the day it can cut down on the cost. 

Just wondering if that's an idea for you. 

• Like 2

Ouch, I hadn't even thought about barking.

We did drive by when we had hoped to visit last week. They had said in the morning that coming over was fine, but to call first. Well, when we called, they weren't there, and after calling a few times over about 45 minutes I was running out of time and just drove over hoping we'd meet them there.

They were not home, but the dogs were visible at the ends of their runs, "greeting" us. They were wagging their tails and barked a bit. I didn't see any evidence of discomfort, and they soon settled down. Since the owners weren't around, I didn't leave the parking area.

By the time we got home the owner was home and had returned my call, but it was too late to go back.

3 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Agreeing with the others about choosing the family run place.

Would there be the option of keeping the dogs in your home, and having someone come 3x a day? I charge $15 for a 30 min visit and in that sort of situation would recommend 3 or 4 times a day. Some people choose 3 times, but make the midday shorter and make the dinner visit an hour, so dog goes out to the potty/eats-plays/potties again before walker leaves. 

If you can afford it, I like the idea of keeping dogs in their own homes. It does get expensive, though. If you can get a neighbor to do even a quick "let out in the yard" during the day it can cut down on the cost. 

Just wondering if that's an idea for you. 

This is what we had initially planned, until our vet expressed some concern over leaving the dogs for more than a few days, given all the opportunities for mischief inside the house. She was concerned that our younger dog, especially, might end up getting hurt by amusing himself in dangerous ways while alone so much. Once I started thinking about that, I could see her point. There's lots to chew.

Also, our older dog would need to be carried down and up steps outside, and it will be awfully hot. I 'd really need to be comfortable that others would care for him carefully. He isn't really infirm, but has an old injury and is getting older.

Having worked in the kennel in vet offices, unless your dogs have special medical needs I'd do the family run kennel. The vet ones...it's really boring for the dogs. They get walked in that exercise yard for a few minutes a few times a day, and that's usually it. Having the ability to go out into their own outdoor run and smell the smells, see other dogs, see the birds flying overhead, etc provides much needed mental stimulation. Plus they could play with each other you said. I'd do that one in a heartbeat. 

If they had major medical issues, that's when i'd use the vet. 

• Like 2

We have boarded for up to 8 days, but not any longer.  Our favorite was a family run kennel.  We have boarded at the vets and the dog ever since has had anxiety about kenneling so I don’t know what happened there but it must have been significant. 

I would ask to see a kennel/run if possible. Many won’t let you (which makes me suspicious).  I also might try an overnight boarding a see your dog’s’ dispositions afterwards.  My dogs are bigger (think big lab or chessie) and so run and yard size is definitely important.

Have you looked into pet sitters where your dogs stay at their house? My sister uses one and it’s been great. Might be a more home-like feel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Targhee said:

We have boarded for up to 8 days, but not any longer.  Our favorite was a family run kennel.  We have boarded at the vets and the dog ever since has had anxiety about kenneling so I don’t know what happened there but it must have been significant. 

I would ask to see a kennel/run if possible. Many won’t let you (which makes me suspicious).  I also might try an overnight boarding a see your dog’s’ dispositions afterwards.  My dogs are bigger (think big lab or chessie) and so run and yard size is definitely important.

Have you looked into pet sitters where your dogs stay at their house? My sister uses one and it’s been great. Might be a more home-like feel.

Yes, I am going to do a short, trial boarding no matter which place we choose. I want the dogs to be familiar with the place, and hopefully not feel too abandoned. Maybe they'll remember that we did come back for them last time, when we are gone for longer during the vacation. Or maybe it will just make me feel better.

• Like 1

I had to board my dog for two months and chose the place that had the most outdoor/activity time. But my breed of dog needs that sort of thing. It helped that it was in the vet hospital. 

She still lost a lot of weight apparently while we were gone (I’m not back yet) but since she was overweight before I guess that’s fine?. Just to prepare you that this might happen... 

• Like 1

Some vet hospitals only have cramped little kennels, but our vet's Pet Hotel is so nice.

They have three different sizes of runs with heated floors. You can get adjoining runs with a little door between them if you want your dogs to stay together. There are separate fenced yards with K9 grass (artificial turf specifically designed for dogs) and the dogs get outside playtime at least four times a day. You can make special requests based on what your dog likes, like cuddling or playing fetch or playing with the hose.

It's awesome - it's like a five star resort for dogs!                                                                                                                                        

• Like 1