Menu

Keeping (good) secrets from children and others

Chris in VA

When your situation  asks for secret-keeping (of a good nature), are you good at it? 

I, sadly, am not. 

Not.at.all.

I need to process! I need to suppose with someone! I need help with my impatience! 

Sigh. 

Tell me your experiences with keeping big secrets from your kiddos or from others. Only good secrets--you know, good news you can't share yet type things. 

We managed to surprise my kids with a trip to Kalahari for one kid's (belated) birthday.  We were driving back from somewhere and the kids didn't realize where we were even as we passed the signs on the road.  LOL.  We finally had to say, "look at the sign, where are we?"

Tivoli park in Denmark was a surprise toward the end of our trip to northern Europe.  You can't tell what it is from the outside.  They were like, "Oh nooo, more sightseeing!"

• Like 1

My husband recently earned a promotion. He found out and was allowed to tell me, but no one else,  a full six weeks before the company issued the press release. Our lips were sealed! It became public last week and I was so excited for him - I think everyone we know has heard about it by now!

• Like 6

17 hours ago, TechWife said:

My husband recently earned a promotion. He found out and was allowed to tell me, but no one else,  a full six weeks before the company issued the press release. Our lips were sealed! It became public last week and I was so excited for him - I think everyone we know has heard about it by now!

Congratulations to your husband!!!

• Like 1

We kept Disneyland from them until we got to the hotel.  We told them it was a special trip and they’d see when we got there.  We thought they may have guessed when we were headed for LAX. Nope. Or maybe as we were on Disney Dr in Aneheim. No.  They were too tired from travel, we had to tell them!

we kept excited by talking to each other (myself and dh) about it. And my sister. And my mom.

After my dd got her first horse, one of my boys got interested and started taking riding lessons. There was one particular lesson horse that he clicked with and he just fell in love with that horse.

I told dh I wanted to buy the horse for ds, and he agreed. We didn't say a word to ds about it, but one day while he was in a lesson, I went and found the barn owner and wrote her a check for the horse.

At the end of the lesson, ds was going to put the horse back with the other lesson horses and his teacher said he didn't have to. Ds asked why, and I told him, "Because he's not a lesson horse anymore. He's your horse now."

Ds was so surprised and thrilled - it was pretty awesome! He still has that horse years later and the two of them are quite the pair.

• Like 4

Strangely, I am a rock-solid secret keeper. My lips are like Fort Knox. I’m not sure why it is so easy for me, but I think it has something to do with not being a big discloser in the first place. 

I’m good with secrets but terrible with surprises. I have to tell someone a good surprise. It doesn’t even matter who. We purchased a used car for my daughter for Christmas. It was nothing fancy at all, but I knew she was going to be so excited! I was dying to tell... so... I told store clerks, strangers, tellers, friends at church... it kept me from telling her though, lol