Menu

Those storage bags? ...using a vacuum?

I bought some over the summer to use for storage and with our move and had mixed results. This was the sapce bag brand. I paid $40 less a coupon at Bed bath and Beyond for the box with the cubed bags. The TV deal is a much better buy!

However, I'd say that about half do not work probably. One had a hole in it right out of the box. The others slowly leaked air back in. They see, to be a really great idea - and some are still working - but I just don't know if I'd purchase them again.

Walgreens also sells a brand and I had a couple of those (free with rebate!) But I had about the same success rate with them.

We have had a couple tear on us, but I don't know if it is because of use/misuse or the cats have gotten into the cupboard and stuck some claws in. I'm thinking it is the cats.

We bought 6 extra large Spacebags to keep off-season clothes in. Last winter we stored the summer clothes, then reused them for the winter clothes. They are on their third switch now with no mishaps except the two that tore.

The tear wasn't along a seam.

I bought some over the summer to use for storage and with our move and had mixed results. This was the sapce bag brand. I paid $40 less a coupon at Bed bath and Beyond for the box with the cubed bags. The TV deal is a much better buy!

However, I'd say that about half do not work probably. One had a hole in it right out of the box. The others slowly leaked air back in. They see, to be a really great idea - and some are still working - but I just don't know if I'd purchase them again.

Similar results here - bought a box of them and some of them just wouldn't hold the seal, so I ended up taking them back.

Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. How is that for answer. I bought them when we moved in January. They do save space, but they do tear pretty easily. I have a couple that I stored stuff in and have just put it away. It is working because nobody is touching it. If it was something you were going to open and close all the time, I would say - don't bother. They will rip.

We've tried them many times over the years and have found that we've never gotten a single one that would actually hold the seal. They all slowly leaked air in which in the end did us no good. We bought them to try and free up space, but as they gradually "grew" that space was soon gone again.

I don't remember where I read this or got the idea, but . . . once you suck the air out of the bag (trash bag, space saver bag, etc.) put as many as will fit in an old pillow case. Then, even if they spring a leak, they won't be able to expand back to full size.

~Staci

I don't remember where I read this or got the idea, but . . . once you suck the air out of the bag (trash bag, space saver bag, etc.) put as many as will fit in an old pillow case. Then, even if they spring a leak, they won't be able to expand back to full size.

~Staci

Brilliant! :hurray: