Menu

Silly question--does anyone know why "grey" has two spellings?

Alana in Canada

And which one do you use?

I'm curious too about where you live.

Is it British/Canadian to spell it "gray" and American "grey"--or is it just archaic or what?

Thanks!

Brits spell it 'grey' and Americans 'gray'. I believe (do correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the spelling differences came about when the first dictionaries were written in each country. Up until then, spelling conventions were not strict, but the dictionaries codified spelling and chose different conventions.

Laura

This is too funny.

Regal?

More pleasing?

I don't know. "grey" conjures up images of dull, flat landscapes--think urban snow, grey concrete bridges, and overcast skies.

"Gray"--well, the patina of pewter, a choppy lake, the dark, dramatic sky just before the snowstorm, silver streaks in my hair.

LOL! I'm the same! It's like seeing a cup half empty or half full. But your descriptions match what I envision when I see the different spellings of the word.

I sometimes see theatre used when referring to attending a play, and theater when attending a movie. As I was typing this, my spell checker is automatically underling theatre in red and telling me to spell it theater!

Other British/American differences I can think of relate to -or and -our such as:colour/color and favourite/favorite. I found a website that lists other common differences http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm