Menu

Usborne books you loved for preschool/K and early elementary.

lynn

Ted and Friends - phonics readers that are just too cute. Rhyming text and that cute duck to spot.

1001 things to spot series - Big Book of Things to spot. Great for preschoolers for number recognition, counting, one-to-one correspondence, visual discrimination. I carried the Big Book of Things to Spot everywhere. Whenever we had to wait somewhere, I would pull it out for my then preschooler.

Great Searches - Great for advanced preschoolers up to early elementary and beyond (I like them for me:). Visual discrimination skills (very find detail), just plain fun, and makes kids want to read the blurbs about each thing to spot. The Big Bug Search was the motivation for my oldest to learn to read - Mom just couldn't stop every 5 minutes to read something to him so he decided to teach himself to read.

How Big is a Million? Newer title that is a fantastic way to introduce the concept of big numbers. It is too cute!!!

Jigsaw World Atlas - a great way to learn geography. Book functions as an atlas with maps, a seek and find book and a jigsaw puzzle. I like this for me. I did not know that Mount Kilamanjaro was in Tanzania until we got this book!.

Art Treasury - Not only do you learn about the artist, and the painting, but it has a project you can do to emulate the style of the painting. We love this book!

Then there is the Internet Linked Science Encyclopedia and I-L Encyclopedia of World History. Although these may be recommended more for middle elementary, we use them for as young as 1st grade.

Happy Shopping!

(yes I am an Usborne Consultant, but I only joined to support my habit - of buying books!)

There's a Mouse About the House

and

A Squirrel's Tale

These are really neat books where you have a mouse or squirrel figure that goes through slots on the pages to get to the next page. When I first saw them, I thought, "Oh, how lame," but my kids love them! All of them have (and years later we still have the original mouse and squirrel - it's a miracle!)

I love Usborne books! We have lots, but my kids especially loved the Usborne Farm Tales collection (I think this is the name of it??) It's a thick book and comes w/a CD so kids can listen and follow along. The two children are Poppy and Sam. They're short stories and are great for new readers. We also like the rainy day activity card deck and things to draw and paint activity card deck.

I love Usborne books! We have lots, but my kids especially loved the Usborne Farm Tales collection (I think this is the name of it??) It's a thick book and comes w/a CD so kids can listen and follow along. The two children are Poppy and Sam. They're short stories and are great for new readers. We also like the rainy day activity card deck and things to draw and paint activity card deck.

Complete Book of Farmyard Tales w/cd. It is a dual level reader. The top line is first grade reading level and makes a continuous story all the way across. The bottom two lines are 2nd to 3rd grade reading level. With a new reader, h can read the top and the parents can read the bottom two lines for more details of the story. As the child becomes more proficient at reading, he can read the bottom two lines himself. I credit this book with making Twin A a proficient confident reader (I won't bore you with the details).

Other books in that format are: Book of Bible Stories, Fairy Tales (c/v), Princess Stories (c/v), and all the First Experiences. I am sure I am missing some.

Other family favorites:

Ted and Friends (collection of phonics readers)

Advent Nativity Book (reusable Advent calendar with the Nativity story - each day you pop out a part of the Nativity scene from the book)

Fairytale Sticker Stories - It is a rebus. So, when all the stickers are put in, you still have a nice book (also a dual level reader).

Any of the Beginners Nature series

First Encyclopedias

Stories for Little Girls/Boys (lovely picture book collection)

Illustrated Animal Stories/Fairy Tales and Illustrated Stories for Girls/Boys (collection of leveled readers either animal stories (lots of Aesops Fables, etc.), fairy tales, or stories geared for girls or boys).

The last two also make lovely gifts. The covers are beautifully done.

I could go on, but I won't. If you want more details, I will be happy to oblige. For the record, I am a Supervisor with Usborne who signed up, like Ellen, to get a discount on all those books recommended in WTM.

The See Inside books. /quote]

The Rome and Egypt books are good in this series as well.

(A tip o the hat to ?Alphabet Pam? for bringing these to my attention.)

We just went through See Inside Castles (we are on Chap 16 of SOTW 2). It, along with all the other See Insides, was great fun and informative.