Menu

How to keep mice out of the grill

solascriptura

I recently found my grill cover with holes.  It's been needing to be replaced, but the actual holes are definitely from a mouse.  In fact, when I opened it up to clean, I saw two beady eyes looking back at me.  This thing wasn't too scared of me at all so now I'm wondering how to keep it out of the grill for good.  I don't want my new cover to get chewed up nor do I want to accidentally set baby mice on fire.  I definitely saw a nest in there. Any ideas except to turn it on every few days?  I don't use it at all in the winter and I don't want to have to check on this again.  ideas?

The only way we solved this was by not using a cover anymore. Hard on the grill but easier than having to chase out mice and chipmunks every spring.

Would that really keep the mice out?  I figure that the grill top is still providing cover and protection so that they will still try to stay in there.  ugh.  I would hate to turn the grill on and have a mouse jump out at me. 

We recommend peppermint oil on a cottonball near air conditioner, and I know people put them in cars and campers in storage, too.  Mice hate peppermint.  

That's what we do in our RV, except instead of cotton balls I make baking soda discs (baking soda, add water to make a thick paste, put in lined muffin tin and bake until dried out). The baking soda discs seem to hold the scent longer than cotton balls. Although I admit that could be my imagination; I've never actually done an experiment. I'm a bit paranoid about mice so I add oil about once a week. I've also heard that diatomaceous earth will hold the peppermint oil scent for a long while, but I've never tried it. And I'm intrigued by Rosie's peppermint tea bags suggestion.

There was a mouse nest in our grill and I was so grossed out that I got rid of it. I just couldn't handle the thought of cooking food in a grill that had had mouse poop in it. :ack2: 

We gave it to a friend who isn't picky about things like mouse poop. :laugh: