Menu

"Green" holidays -- need ideas for an article

It has been a week like no other in my life. Amid the confusion of the past days, I completely forgot that I promised to write an article for someone on the topic of how to be more "green" for the holidays. I'll be digging around on the internet myself, but I wanted to solicit ideas from this terrific group as well. Of course, perhaps the best idea of all would be to simply buy less, but I want/need to include other methods to help readers to be creative in their holiday greening endeavors (wrapping paper, Christmas trees, baking etc.).

So, please toss out your ideas or plans, and if you have specific websites or "how to" books/web pages as reference, even better. Your replies will help me brainstorm for what will have to be a quick turnaround on this article.

Many thanks!

There's a book called "The $100 Christmas".

For wrapping paper we're considering using squares of fabric instead. Some people make them into drawstring bags, others just tie up the ends. You can find ideas in "Martha Stewart" books - she makes them look fantastic. And then you re-use the fabric the next year.

You could hide the presents instead of wrapping them, LOL.

You can use my idea for only picking "experiences" instead of things - at least for the grownups. In other words, give things like gift certificates for meals at restaurants, dance classes, gym memberships, golf club memberships, etc.

Or make Christmas itself more about doing something as a family (hike, go to beach, etc.) than about getting things.

Good luck!

Similar to Jennifer's idea, wrap presents in reusable cloth bags: two gifts in one. Or have kids paint on brown paper bags and use those as wrapping paper.

Holiday cards and thank you cards made from recycled paper.

For gifts, I like to give consumables, especially food, rather than stuff. If people can't make their own, perhaps they could find some locally made preserves or holiday breads. Also handmade scarves and other things can usually be found at craft shows. Also gifts to help the receiver go a little more "green" - cloth bags, travel coffee mug or water bottle, cloth napkins, gift basket with green cleaners or personal care products. (Also, could handmake soaps and other goodies.) More hard-core options would be something like a composting system. My parents' favorite gifts are trees.

My holiday meals are going to all be made with local food. Perhaps you could include resources to find local turkeys or hams, etc. Encouragement to eat what's in season. (After all, that's why our traditional holiday foods are potatoes and squash and pumpkin and apple pies, etc.)

If I get a Christmas tree, I buy it from a local cut your own farm.

Hope this helps some. Sounds like it will be an interesting article.

If you get a live tree, get a small one w/ the root ball still attached so you can plant it after the holidays.

You can decorate existing outdoor trees w/ treats for the critters (peanut butter filled pine cones, cranberries or other berries strung on string, etc...).

Plan ahead so you can consolidate your shopping trips & errands.

I've been thinking about you a lot these last few days. It must seem very odd and surreal to have to work on this project just now.

This year I am reclaiming the holidays. The last couple I checked out. Too stressed -- couldn't show up, couldn't be there. But I've "fixed" many things in my house / job / school that I can control, and so I have the space, mental and actual, to make it happen this year. And I'm making things.

I love the blog Sew, Mama, Sew, which I found through this board. They have ideas for handmade gifts each day, and each day has a theme (today's was gifts for readers). It's here: http://www.sewmamasew.com/blog2/

I bought fabric sheets and curtains at the Goodwill and am using them to make lunch bags and grocery sacs. I really like the third one on this page: http://www.sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=247

Oh, and I had a genius moment! I'm also making my own sandwich wrapper-uppers similar to this one: http://www.wrap-n-mat.com/ I'm going to use our old sheet protectors, cotton that's embedded with something waterproof and sew a cover on it, unbleached muslin maybe, like a quilt. So several friends will get a lunch kit as a gift.

Our public utilities department has a waste free holiday promotion. Any like that in your area? Here's the skinny: http://your.kingcounty.gov/solidwaste/wastefreeholidays/

Probably nothing on this list is a new idea. Hopefully we can help you get the wheels turning though.

Big hug, too, and lots of good thoughts your way.

Seconding some things already mentioned.

Bill McKibben's book, Hundred Dollar Holiday, is an excellent suggestion, given McKibben's environmentalist credentials. He was also an editor of American Earth: Environmental Writings Since Thoreau which would make a great gift.

I am also another fan of Sew Mama Sew.

But I must confess that what really irritates me on green gift articles is that they usually suggest to the reader that he go out and consume. Somehow the point of "green" is defeated or at least lost.

If one is to go out and buy stuff, I suppose one should be encouraged to buy things like metal water bottles--discourage eventual plastic purchases. Or perhaps readers could be encourage to buy small, thoughtful gifts from their local farmer's market.

Alternatively, one could round up some friends for a wreath making session, harvesting grape vines from one person's yard, smilax from another. (Smilax or cat briers will stay green for quite a while.) Share plant material and cookies while making wreaths?

Some friends of ours have a big ravioli making day with another couple. They make tons of ravioli which they freeze and give out as their Christmas gift. Economical and could be done with local squash, cheese, etc. Instead of going to the mall, spend a day with friends making some sort of special gift.

Hope you are doing well.

Jane

Edited by Jane in NC

I have been tossing up the idea of buying a potted tree to decorate for Christmas and then planting it in our yard on New Years.

Another idea I had was doing things for people as there presents. I remember one of the gifts we use to give my father every year when we were younger was a car wash.

I'm not the most creative but those are some of my ideas.

Guest Virginia Dawn
It has been a week like no other in my life. Amid the confusion of the past days, I completely forgot that I promised to write an article for someone on the topic of how to be more "green" for the holidays. I'll be digging around on the internet myself, but I wanted to solicit ideas from this terrific group as well. Of course, perhaps the best idea of all would be to simply buy less, but I want/need to include other methods to help readers to be creative in their holiday greening endeavors (wrapping paper, Christmas trees, baking etc.).

So, please toss out your ideas or plans, and if you have specific websites or "how to" books/web pages as reference, even better. Your replies will help me brainstorm for what will have to be a quick turnaround on this article.

Many thanks!

I recycle boxes and use the back side of brown paper bags to wrap them to be mailed to relatives.

This year I am making pot holders and aprons with material I already have. Old (clean) towels will provide the batting for the pot holders.

Firestarters can be made by dipping pinecones in wax melted from useless candles.

Lots of things can be done with pinecones, gum balls (from sweet gum trees), acorns. Paint them, or glitter them, or wire them together to make wreaths, and candle rings or table decorations.

Really, I think using up craft supplies that I already have, without going out and buying more is a big thing.

We like to use plain brown paper as well... wrapped with a little red twine they look so old fashioned and adorable! Like little Victorian parcels. Sometimes the kids decorate the paper with stamps, but they are really sweet just plain, too.

We also save holiday cards, and cut out images (I have a HUGE circle punch that works great) to use as tags, or we write the name or a decorate an initial on the package itself.

We do a lot of homemade gift giving-- knitting, baked goods, jams/jellies, soaps, candles, etc.

I encourage family members to by consumables or contribute to homeschool classes/activities for the kids, rather than get them more STUFF... they have plenty of stuff already!

I don't have time to read all the other posts, so I apologize if I repeat some things.

Several years ago, we decided to do all of our wrapping in cloth bags. I make really simple ones in various sizes, usually out of scraps of fabric I already have around or remnants I buy on sale. We tie them closed with cloth ribbon. And we save all the bags and ribbons from year to year.

Last year at the after-holiday sales, I replaced all of our old lights with LEDs. They use a lot less electricity.

We continue to buy real trees, partially because I love them, but also because I've decided that buying them helps keep the land on which they are grown viable as green spaces. Otherwise, I figure, those lots would get sold off and built on. I'd rather have a tree farm than another Wal-Mart.

In general, I try to resist the aura of rampant consumerism this time of year (difficult in this family, but I try). I also do my best to purchase gifts from responsible companies. We've purchased organic coffee and chocolate as gifts, for example, and made gift baskets with items from Ten Thousand Villages and similar retailers.

It's not enough, but that's what I've come up with so far.

In addition to cutting and turning paper grocery bags inside out (which I have done, as others here have), you can wrap presents in the comic section of paper newspapers. Coloured comics look fun, but the kids could colour in black and white ones.

Instead of new ribbon, reuse. Or have your dc draw pictures on the plain brown paper bag wrapping. My dc have done this, and the recipients (grandparents) enjoyed it. This year, however, I bought some made in the USA gift wrap from a store going out of business. Not so green, I know, but just want to be honest.

You can knit shopping bags from plastic grocery bags. You can knit rugs from old sheets, clothes, etc. I haven't done those yet, but thought those looked like cool ideas. You can make a patchwork quilt using old clothes (I'm not a quilter, but have seen this done.)