Menu

For those if you who have taken this test to obtain priority registration at CC (as opposed to being the last one to register for DE), can you help me understand the guidelines?

It says you can only take this test if you are either 16 or in 10th grade. I know younger kids on this board have taken the exam. If we take it prior to turning 16, does it automatically force us to graduate the kid after 2 years of taking it?

My kids took the CHSPE and not the CAHSEE. But no, it did not force me to graduate them two years later. One kid did graduate two years later. The other did not.

They were 14 and 16 when they took and passed the test.

Is CHSPE the newer version or are those different tests? I see CHSPE also says to be eligible you must be 16 or in 10th grade. How did you go around that requirement? Did nobody care?

It says you must prove your eligibility during the registration process. And if you have a private school affidavit you can’t submit the eligibility form for a relative. So who else would submit it if I am the principle of my school?

Edited by Roadrunner

They are different tests. You want the CHSPE. If you use a PSA to homeschool it's easy to declare your kid a 10th grader. However, I only did that because A was obviously working at that level/higher.

And you graduated him early. So what if your child were working on a 10th grade level but you weren’t graduating him early? I don’t know if we will graduate early at this point, but I don’t want to make that decision just yet.

Edited by Roadrunner

My older son took the CHSPE at 14 and started at the local community college the following semester. He did not graduate early. He is still on my PSA this year even though he is full time at the community college and has been for several semesters. He will get his associates degree before I graduate him. I am having issues with his lack of English and history classes. I am going to be overuled in May because not giving him the high school diploma when he has the associates degree seems silly. He still won’t have four years of English or four years of social studies. But I am done.

No one looks at the date of the test. The only people that cared at all were the people in the tutoring center when he was hired to tutor computer science. Passing the CHSPE meant we didn’t need to deal with work permit issues and that was nice.

• Like 2

Goodness gracious, I have no idea what any of this means.  I might as well be reading a space shuttle repair manual.

I have a 10th grader.  Should I be thinking about this mysterious test?  What's a PSA?

I find it so disquieting to be homeshooling a high schooler and then run into things I've never heard of before.  What else is out there that I don't know about and should know about?  I've been hanging on the high school forum for 3 years and there are still gaps in my knowledge.  :(

• Like 4

My 8th grader isn’t keen on DE and we would likely go with Foothill for the convenience of the light rail to their satellite campus so we haven’t considered CHSPE yet.

I have a 10th grader. Should I be thinking about this mysterious test? What's a PSA?

It’s for those of us in California, not something you need to worry about.

PSA is the private school affidavit that homeschoolers file with the state’s department of education

CAHSEE is California High School Exit Examination which is for public school kids

CHSPE is California High School Proficiency Examination which is for anyone else in California

• Like 2

Goodness gracious, I have no idea what any of this means. I might as well be reading a space shuttle repair manual.

I have a 10th grader. Should I be thinking about this mysterious test? What's a PSA?

(

This is all California specific stuff so unless you are in California, it is not relevant to homeschooling in your state.

But the acronyms are

PSA = Private School Affadivt, the form independent homeschoolers file yearly to make themselves legal. We are very small private schools.

CHSPE = California High School Proficieny Exam, a test that can be taken by students to prove high school level skills. It is useful for getting an earlier registration date for community colleges.

CAHSEE = California High School Exit Exam, a test that is usually taken by students in public schools, details I don’t know.

I hope that helps.

• Like 3

My son will most likely take the CHSPE sometime in the next year. He will not be ready to graduate for 3 or 4 years. I am having him take the CHSPE early to have better access to classes at the community college. You can have your student take the CHSPE and still have them as part of your homeschool. Just continue to file the PSA and graduate them when they are ready. 

• Like 2

So why are they insisting them in their forms that either a child needs to be 16 or in 10th grade? It’s so confusing.

I am a little afraid to do something hat might have some unknown ramifications in the future.

Edited by Roadrunner

If they take the CHSPE will the CC's still consider it duel enrollment or will they now have to pay for the classes? Are they still last priority registration?

Eta:sorry piggybacking on your post...

I believe they won’t be considered DE and will have to pay.

I believe they won’t be considered DE and will have to pay.

This is correct. People in my area have been upset that after showing CHSPE results and getting the better registration time that the consequence is that they have to pay like college students as well. They wanted to both have the earlier registration slot and get the free classes.

• Like 2

So why are they insisting them in their forms that either a child needs to be 16 or in 10th grade? It’s so confusing.

I am a little afraid to do something hat might have some unknown ramifications in the future.

This is an old rule that was mostly put in place so teenagers didn't leave high school too early. I actually took the CHSPE when I was a teen so I could leave high school and go right to community college. For traditionally schooled kids they want you to be either 16 or in 10th grade. When homeschoolers started to use the test it was for different goals and the 10th grade/age 16 rule didn't seem to be important. And over the years homeschoolers have discovered that no one really cares about the rule and taking the CHSPE is a great way to get the classes you need at the community college level. 

• Like 3

It really isn't an issue to take the CHSPE and not graduate your child from *your* homeschool until you are ready to. It's meant for kids who want to leave high school and it's often used in place of (or to apply for? Please correct me if I am wrong) a work permit as well. Students who pass the CHSPE can re-enroll in school. It's stated right there on their site.

If your student has the certificate of proficiency, he can enroll in the community college as a regular student to enjoy priority enrollment status. It's up to you guys whether or not you want to use the CHSPE (and enjoy full priority) or pass the CHSPE but continue to DE. I know folks who have done DE and then switched to full priority with CHSPE with the same CC. But if you use the full priority route, it can get tricky to ask to switch back to the DE route. I know one family who switched back to DE-ing (after the kiddo passed the CHSPE and did the full priority route at one CC) at a different CC to bypass scrutiny.

No one cares much about the CHSPE after you have used it to enroll as a regular student at the CC. UCs don't look at the CHSPE either.

Edited by quark
  • Like 3

And just to be precise, CHSPE is the exam that your student takes. If they pass, it's the Certificate of Proficiency that the student receives that a CC might ask to see (for under-age students). Some CCs will also ask for the score report that the CHSPE folks send with the certificate. Yup, they want full evidence that your younger child passed a test meant for 10th graders. :glare:(I have a lot to say about that that should not be said on a public forum).

• Like 1

Can you take the CHSPE early only if you file a PSA? Like, can a 9th grade charter student take it?

I don’t know the answer to this, but I would guess your child would be subject to public school requirements. The school would have to sign off or register.

And you graduated him early. So what if your child were working on a 10th grade level but you weren’t graduating him early? I don’t know if we will graduate early at this point, but I don’t want to make that decision just yet.

I had filed the PSA as “ungraded secondary†for 2 years to avoid having to declare a grade level. My DD may graduate next year (would be 11th grade) but we may not officially graduate her until after she finishes the associate degree.

She only needs one more science credit (chemistry or physics) after this semester to finish off the high school requirements. She could take it this summer but she is hoping to work as a lifeguard so probably won’t take it until next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The rules to register are enrolled in 10th grade for a year, or 16.  So if you plan to take it "early", you need to provide school paperwork that says student will complete a full year of 10th the season of the CHSPE.  Easiest done with a PSA, most charters that I am familiar with are not flexible enough with grade level designations.

So my PSA rules, since I made them, allow for DS (9th) to be classified as a sophomore by credits, but not graduate early.  I counted HS level math and spanish from 7-8th grades, which local PS & UC's do.  So his class standing including the 4 credits from middle school allows him to be a 10th grader now, completing the 1 year requirement in the fall when he takes the CHSPE.  He can't graduate early, since he will only take 1 english credit a year, and I require 4 for graduation. :hurray:

It's all about bending the rules to suit your needs.

You mean the CHSPE, not CASEE...TWO very different tests.

1. How did we take it younger than 16?

We are part of an umbrella school who was willing to sign off on our paperwork that my son had completed tenth grade because he had completed Algebra 2 and two ENglish courses, as well as multiple other courses. AKA he was equivalent to some lower achieving public school tenth graders.

To verify for her records, in case she gets questioned, she also required my son to take the Practice Exam in the CHSPE practice book, and he scored over 80% so she feels if they score over 80% they have obviously passed what the state considers to be 10th grade, since the state considers it completion of TWELFTH grade material.

2. Is he now considered graduated? It used to be that everyone took it, got priority enrollment and paid for their classes, and then just never mentioned that when applying to UC. However, one of my PSPs shared with me firsthand information showing that the UC's are occasionally pulling records/asking/questioning about this. And, if your student took the CHSPE, as of that date, they are not considered a high schooler anymore.

We decided to play it safe, and graduated our son with a full transcript of the most basic CA requirements after 9th grade. He had 3 maths, 2 Sciences, 1 foreign language, 1 art, 2 technical class years, and 3 English....we will probably never do anything with it but there it is. So he is a full time college student and will have to apply as a transfer. He cannot apply as a freshman. We had to do this because our college has a new form you must sign stating that you've finished high school and are moving on. Clearly they got wind of the fact that many homeschoolers were doing this because in order to be honest on the form, I HAD TO MAKE a choice that my son had full graduated high school. I would have had to point blank lie on it otherwise. Oddly, our college's sister school does not require this form.

It's up to you really...if your college doesn't require that form, you can take the CHSPE just to get in and get priority enrollment and then just hope the UCs never find out or see it. Most people do it that way. :)

3. As far as graduating them two years after taking the CHSPE, no...technically the minute they pass they are graduated...unless no one finds out and you just decide to pretend they haven't graduated via CHSPE, in which the date they take has zero affect on thier applications and homeschool graduation date.

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 2

Can you take the CHSPE early only if you file a PSA? Like, can a 9th grade charter student take it?

my friend has her girls in a Charter, and NO they cannNOT take the CHSPE and continue in the charter. As soon as a student takes and passes the CHSPE they are (((((NO LONGER ELIGIBLE FOR PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL in California.))) edited because this is apparently wrong

However I have spoken to two middle college programs and THIS INCLUDES MIDDLE COLLEGE programs so think long and hard about taking the CHSPE if you are interested in Middle College as well! If you take the CHSPE you probably will not be eligible for Middle College either.

Back to my Charter School friend —What she did was register for high school dual enrollment with two community college districts comprised of four colleges. Two were way too far away. One was close-by and she did get her Dual Enrolled Science course the first semester. The second semester she didn't get in so the mom registered her daughter at the other community college which was on the Quarter system....but she had to drive quite a long way to get her there.

So, in the end, if you are near impacted community colleges and you are with a charter or for some other reason want to Dual Enroll instead of taking the CHSPE, you can try multiple colleges , or you need to realize often, your student will not get in. So, have a backup plan.

Edited by Calming Tea

my friend has her girls in a Charter, and NO they cannNOT take the CHSPE and continue in the charter. As soon as a student takes and passes the CHSPE they are NO LONGER ELIGIBLE FOR PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL in California. THIS INCLUDES MIDDLE COLLEGE programs so think long and hard about taking the CHSPE if you are interested in Middle College as well!

What she did was register for high school dual enrollment with two community college districts comprised of four colleges. Two were way too far away. One was close-by and she did get her Dual Enrolled Science course the first semester. The second semester she didn't get in so the mom registered her daughter at the other community college which was on the Quarter system....but she had to drive quite a long way to get her there.

So, in the end, if you are near impacted community colleges and you are with a charter or for some other reason want to Dual Enroll instead of taking the CHSPE, you can try multiple colleges , or you need to realize often, your student will not get in. So, have a backup plan.

Are you sure about not being eligible to continue with PS? I know somebody who did take the test and she told me as long as the child was under 18, she could go to PS and take whatever classes she wanted.

• Like 1

This is really confusing because the CHSPE info bulletin states that CA law says minors can re-enroll in public school after they pass the CHSPE. I wonder if schools are confusing it with another test. I get the whole thing about the UCs and community colleges. I wonder if it is supposed to be that you get one diploma (CHSPE) but minors have to continue going to high school if their parents want them to, even if they won't get a diploma that way.

• Like 1

And, if your student took the CHSPE, as of that date, they are not considered a high schooler anymore.

Passing the CHSPE does not automatically graduate you from high school.  

There are students at my DD's public high school who are still enrolled after passing the CHSPE, because they only wanted it for CC enrollment priority.  In order to leave high school, students under 18 years old must pass the CHPSE - AND - have parental permission to stop attending.  So the parent doesn't consent, kid is still enrolled in high school.

Passing the CHSPE does not, by itself, exempt minors from attending school. Minors who have a Certificate of Proficiency must also have verified parent/guardian permission to stop attending school. Many students who pass the CHSPE continue to attend school. State law provides that, if you leave school after passing the CHSPE and are no more than 18 years old, you may reenroll in the district in which you were registered with no adverse consequences. If you do reenroll you may be required to meet new or additional requirements established since you were previously enrolled. If you reenroll and then leave school again, you may be denied re-admittance until the beginning of the following semester. Contact your guidance counselor or school administrator for further information and details about leaving school after passing the CHSPE.

edited to fix typo
Edited by Trabug
  • Like 5

It's up to you really...if your college doesn't require that form, you can take the CHSPE just to get in and get priority enrollment and then just hope the UCs never find out or see it. Most people do it that way. :)

Calming Tea, the UCs don't care about the CHSPE. A lot of the issues homeschoolers seem to be concerned about seem to be, from my close observation in the last few years, based on what the charters want. For example, open up a UC application and you will see that there's no way anywhere in the application form to say that the classes you took are a-g approved. Every class your student takes is self reported in the application and the drop down menu asks you to choose which subject category it is in (a-g categories) but not if the class is from an approved vendor. So the whole worry and fear CA homeschoolers are having about classes being approved seems quite unnecessary. Just take a class in the subject area and report it as a class in that subject category. Just last year alone I have heard back from a number of parents about their kids getting into UCs without taking those "approved" classes. The same seems to apply for UC's "rule" about not taking a SAT subject test in the same subject area as a DE/college class.

As for CHSPE, here's UC's take on the matter:

If a student has passed the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE), what path should they take to gain admission to UC?

The CHSPE is not a factor in the admissions process for UC. All freshman applicants must meet the same admission requirements.

Source: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/q-and-a/selection/index.html#2

• Like 4

my friend has her girls in a Charter, and NO they cannNOT take the CHSPE and continue in the charter.  As soon as a student takes and passes the CHSPE they are NO LONGER ELIGIBLE FOR PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL in California.

Are you sure about not being eligible to continue with PS? I know somebody who did take the test and she told me as long as the child was under 18, she could go to PS and take whatever classes she wanted.

My district isn’t that free for all in taking whatever classes the student want, it’s still up to the guidance counselor and teachers to approve.

from https://www.chspe.net/about/

Passing the CHSPE does not, by itself, exempt minors from attending school. Minors who have a Certificate of Proficiency must also have verified parent/guardian permission to stop attending school. Many students who pass the CHSPE continue to attend school. State law provides that, if you leave school after passing the CHSPE and are no more than 18 years old, you may reenroll in the district in which you were registered with no adverse consequences. If you do reenroll you may be required to meet new or additional requirements established since you were previously enrolled.

The assigned school district does have to take the student in if under 18 and put the child in any of the high schools with vacancies so it might not be the assigned high school based on home address. My district has overcrowding problems so every year some kids don’t get their assigned elementary/middle/high school and gets bump to another school in the district.

Charter schools on the other hand set their own enrollment rules and has no obligation to enroll anyone.

• Like 3

Calming Tea, the UCs don't care about the CHSPE. A lot of the issues homeschoolers seem to be concerned about seem to be, from my close observation in the last few years, based on what the charters want. For example, open up a UC application and you will see that there's no way anywhere in the application form to say that the classes you took are a-g approved. Every class your student takes is self reported in the application and the drop down menu asks you to choose which subject category it is in (a-g categories) but not if the class is from an approved vendor. So the whole worry and fear CA homeschoolers are having about classes being approved seems quite unnecessary. Just take a class in the subject area and report it as a class in that subject category. Just last year alone I have heard back from a number of parents about their kids getting into UCs without taking those "approved" classes. The same seems to apply for UC's "rule" about not taking a SAT subject test in the same subject area as a DE/college class.

If a student has passed the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE), what path should they take to gain admission to UC?

The CHSPE is not a factor in the admissions process for UC. All freshman applicants must meet the same admission requirements.

Source: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/q-and-a/selection/index.html#2

Did I read somewhere that UCs sometimes do audit applicants? Can this all (DE and SAT subject test, or lack of a through g) become an issue if my child is selected for an audit for example?

Did I read somewhere that UCs sometimes do audit applicants? Can this all (DE and SAT subject test, or lack of a through g) become an issue if my child is selected for an audit for example?

When filling in the application, provide as much context as possible. If they ask for verification, it usually means something might be unclear in your son's application. Just explain the situation as accurately as possible.

• Like 2

And by the way we are glad he’s not going on to UC as a freshman because that saves us 70k :)

So for us it worked out.

We're not either for similar reasons.

I don't feel right graduating my DD until she has checked the box for all her high school requirements. She was working at a 10th grade level or higher across the board when she took the CHSPE but she hadn't completed the high school requirements (and she still has to complete 2 in-progress classes and take a physical science).

I took the CHSPE in high school. Passing the test meant you could drop out without being considered truant. Hence the minimum age/grade requirement. They don’t want kids dropping out too early. I was also reassured over and over again that I could still go to high school after the test. (If I recall I took and passed the test during the school year, and I finished the year, so it’s not like you get booted out the second you pass.) I took the test so that I could start full time college early. The UCs did not care at all about the CHSPE, my high school very much did.

• Like 3

This is absolutely not what my friend was told, she is a close friend and we walked through all the decisions together. Unless the charter is lying to her or unless they have more strict rules about the CHSPE

Edited by Calming Tea

Passing the CHSPE does not automatically graduate you from high school.

There are students at my DD's public high school who are still enrolled after passing the CHSPE, because they only wanted it for CC enrollment priority. In order to leave high school, students under 18 years old must pass the CHPSE - AND - have parental permission to stop attending. So the parent doesn't consent, kid is still enrolled in high school.

from https://www.chspe.net/about/

Passing the CHSPE does not, by itself, exempt minors from attending school. Minors who have a Certificate of Proficiency must also have verified parent/guardian permission to stop attending school. Many students who pass the CHSPE continue to attend school. State law provides that, if you leave school after passing the CHSPE and are no more than 18 years old, you may reenroll in the district in which you were registered with no adverse consequences. If you do reenroll you may be required to meet new or additional requirements established since you were previously enrolled. If you reenroll and then leave school again, you may be denied re-admittance until the beginning of the following semester. Contact your guidance counselor or school administrator for further information and details about leaving school after passing the CHSPE.

edited to fix typo

These seems

Pretty clear, I apologize

For my misinformation. But why did the charter tell thisgirl she was no longer eligible if she took the CHSPE ? That seems to directly go against the above.

Either way my own community college is getting wise to this and I would have had to either outright lie or graduate, my son did have the minimum requirements so, we graduated him. We couldn’t see another way around it.

In the end I’m so happy about it and will do the same with my dd even though her CC does not require that form :)

Then we will have saved 140k ! Which you know, isn’t chump change.

But what if they audit you? Can you imagine how awful that would be to be there senior year, gey audited and then suddenly find you can’t go to a UC when that was your goal?

I don’t know...I just feel like that’s so sketch!

(But yes I have an IRL friend planning on doing just that, she plans to just choose A-G from the drop down box, and hope they never ask if it was verified)

But what if they audit you? Can you imagine how awful that would be to be there senior year, gey audited and then suddenly find you can’t go to a UC when that was your goal?

I don’t know...I just feel like that’s so sketch!

(But yes I have an IRL friend planning on doing just that, she plans to just choose A-G from the drop down box, and hope they never ask if it was verified)

Why would auditing be a problem?

Have you seen the application? Do you know what the options available to a student are to complete the application? I don't want to assume that you are implying that my student lied in the application but that's what it sounds like.

Honestly, the charters have totally messed up how families look at a-g. Please look at the application in August and then tell me how else we are supposed to answer the application.

• Like 2

These seems

Pretty clear, I apologize

For my misinformation. But why did the charter tell thisgirl she was no longer eligible if she took the CHSPE ? That seems to directly go against the above.

Either way my own community college is getting wise to this and I would have had to either outright lie or graduate, my son did have the minimum requirements so, we graduated him. We couldn’t see another way around it.

In the end I’m so happy about it and will do the same with my dd even though her CC does not require that form :)

Then we will have saved 140k ! Which you know, isn’t chump change.

I suspect the charter didn't do their homework (i.e. reading the CHSPE website).

My other guess is ditto what Arcadia said upthread.

It's so great that you have found something that works for your kids. Good for you! But please be careful about the information shared. I'm sharing what I know after sending a kid to UCs and having had my kid accepted to all five of the leading campuses that my kid applied to. No one questioned the application. Kid provided all info as honestly and completely as possible taking into account that CHSPE was taken and passed at age 11 with mom feverishly checking all websites every year to make sure CHSPE and UC rules had not changed. I also moderate my local facebook group with at least 20 families following in the same footsteps (or having already walked those steps with kids now graduated from UC). Lying on an application would have kept us parents up at night. :)

Edited by quark
  • Like 2

My son applied to a few UCs without meeting the a-g requirements. He also did not take any SAT subject tests and no community college classes. He did have a fairly high ACT score and very strong essays. Honestly we were surprised that he got into so many UC schools but were happy that he took a chance and applied. The UC schools are becoming much more flexible and welcoming to homeschoolers so if anyone has a student who wants to apply but hasn't met all the a-g requirements I would say go for it. The schools that seem to be most welcoming at this point are UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Riverside, UC Davis and UC Irvine. 

As far as auditing we would not have been worried about it. We would have just supplied the information asked for as it was clear in the application that my son was a homeschooler and that he did not meet the a-g requirements with their approved classes. 

• Like 3

I was also reassured over and over again that I could still go to high school after the test. (If I recall I took and passed the test during the school year, and I finished the year, so it’s not like you get booted out the second you pass.) I took the test so that I could start full time college early. The UCs did not care at all about the CHSPE, my high school very much did.

This was my experience too. I took the CHSPE but stayed in school until the end of the year. 

• Like 2

My son applied to a few UCs without meeting the a-g requirements. He also did not take any SAT subject tests and no community college classes. He did have a fairly high ACT score and very strong essays. Honestly we were surprised that he got into so many UC schools but were happy that he took a chance and applied. The UC schools are becoming much more flexible and welcoming to homeschoolers so if anyone has a student who wants to apply but hasn't met all the a-g requirements I would say go for it. The schools that seem to be most welcoming at this point are UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Riverside, UC Davis and UC Irvine.

As far as auditing we would not have been worried about it. We would have just supplied the information asked for as it was clear in the application that my son was a homeschooler and that he did not meet the a-g requirements with their approved classes.

So rather than use the drop-down boxes, what did you do?

I suspect the charter didn't do their homework (i.e. reading the CHSPE website).

My other guess is ditto what Arcadia said upthread.

It's so great that you have found something that works for your kids. Good for you! But please be careful about the information shared. I'm sharing what I know after sending a kid to UCs and having had my kid accepted to all five of the leading campuses that my kid applied to. No one questioned the application. Kid provided all info as honestly and completely as possible taking into account that CHSPE was taken and passed at age 11 with mom feverishly checking all websites every year to make sure CHSPE and UC rules had not changed. I also moderate my local facebook group with at least 20 families following in the same footsteps (or having already walked those steps with kids now graduated from UC). Lying on an application would have kept us parents up at night. :)

I actually didn’t even consider whether it was lying or not as I hadn’t gotten that far in my thought process. So I wasn’t implying that.

What I was implying is that it’s a risk- if they ask for records of A-G approved courses you can’t provide that. So what would you do? You can provide courses in the subject areas but they aren’t approved. What do they want? What do they expect?

I would feel very scared doing that. It seems

Safer to do “admission be examination†but eve then don’t you still use the same application with the same drop down boxes ?

What I am saying is, when presented with that info, I felt like the reasons the only options are AG approved courses, is that that is all they accept. So that’s why they don’t give other options other than the simple explanation section.

I don’t think this has anything to do with the charters. Private Homeschoolers have been discussing and concerned with this for years.

I personally, would be afraid to get audited in this circumstance. I feel the message the UC is sending is that approved A-G courses is the only thing they accept and they’re sending the message loud and clear.

Maybe someone should Just directly ask them.