Menu

Homeschooling my DH

Well, I never thought I’d be doing this but here we go.. DH is taking his CDL test this weekend. After failing his first try we realized he needed MAJOR help studying. So the kids get the week off and I’m cramming with him in a desperate attempt to help him succeed.

He never passed a single test in school. His resource room teacher let him graduate at age 20 partly in pity and partly because she knew the school just didn’t meet him where he was at. He’s actually pretty darn smart. Very smart. He’s an expert in any field he’s interested in. EXPERT.

But if you put a test in front of him he shuts down. Total anxiety. Brain turns off and he fails.

So help me! If I were his instructor, he could pass the CDL test today. I’ve gone over it with him several times at his job on the big trucks. So he’s capable of passing, but afraid he’ll bomb the test.

He only gets one try.

Do you have any testing tips? Other than fervent prayer? (Which I’ll take any you have to offer [emoji175])

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may benefit from some visualizations.  Picture the exam room (if he's not sure what it will be like, have him picture a few different scenarios.)  Picture receiving his exam, filling out the name, etc portion of the exam, then opening his exam booklet.  Picture himself confidently reading the question, pausing and re-creating his study materials or notes in his mind's eye, then answering correctly.  

I know it sounds crazy, but he should do this multiple times a day.  You can even guide him through the "meditation" (don't call it that out loud, LOL)

He can also use visualization during the exam.  Have him picture himself at the kitchen table, with you sitting across from him, confident in his abilities.  You can even be the person handing out the test in his mind's eye.  

Again, I know it sounds hokey, but visualization is actually a really strong tool.  

• Like 5

I think you need to recreate the testing conditions as closely as possible. Since you know he knows the information, it's useless to practice that or drill him. What you need to practice is the test itself. Maybe you can get a library room and a friend who can pretend to be the testing person, for example. Or have him go to someone else's house and have someone he doesn't know as well be the test "administrator." Read the whole script that would be before the test with all the little warnings. Time it. See if you can't do that a few times in some way.

Barring that, I second getting him to visualize it.

• Like 3

While mine never dealt w/ test anxiety. I made sure to help them succeed on SAT, ACT, CLEPs, etc. 

For the SAT and ACT, we used practice tests galore. I also had them take practice tests in different locations, quiet, louder, etc. 

We also had a "test" protein packed breakfast: eggs, a breakfast meat to help them stay full, oatmeal (also filling) ,and blueberries for brain power. I think the protein helped them endure the long test and the routine of  the "test meal" helped them too. 

Look into things that help memory (lemon? cinnamon?) and an oil that can help him relax. 

Good idea to see if there is help from the testing center for his anxiety. 

I said a prayer for him!  :grouphug:

Edited by Angie in VA

Is he taking the written test, the driving test, or both? My dh just recently took the written test to renew his CDL, and he found the online practice tests to be very helpful.

Good luck!

He took the written test six months ago,and passed on his second try after watching YouTube videos haha... learns well that way [emoji5]

This is the pre-trip skills and driving

Thank you all so much! To clarify how the test works, it’s not a paper test. He has to perform actual skills on the dump truck, examining the entire truck, and doing some air break checks and also drive it around town. He and I did exactly that several times every day this week which is why I know he could pass. He wishes I were going because I put him at ease, and the instructors make his anxiety worse. So there’s no way around the test... only one way to take it.

I will talk to him about the visualization! That actually sounds like a really good tip. Thank you all again

Edited by Squiddles

He took the written test six months ago,and passed on his second try after watching YouTube videos haha... learns well that way [emoji5]

This is the pre-trip skills and driving

I'll bet he will do well! It sounds like you have been a great help in getting him prepared.

We've been in the construction business for a few decades and have sent many employees to take their CDL tests over the years. Plenty of them have failed, not just once but multiple times before they passed. Maybe it would make your dh feel better to know that he is definitely not alone in needing more than one try to pass.

Best of luck to him! :)

• Like 1