Menu

The I Switched Mid-Year! Teachers Lounge 3-1-2018

scrapbookbuzz

Happy March and Welcome to the Lounge!

Today starts my birthday month! Party on, Garth!  :biggrinjester: 

Today's theme stems from the fact that I took the plunge and ordered brand-spankin-new curriculum last night and will be implementing it a short while after it gets here. This is for my ds13. Well, and for me. MFW has done the planning for me and it aligns with what I believe and what I'd like my son to learn. It took me all of the last hour of February to decide to order before prices went up. Glad I did it, though.

Who has switched curriculum mid-year and was GLAD they did it?  Here: me! What we're NOT switching, though, is my daughter's current curriculum OR our Greek curriculum. I am adding in Health curriculum (also from MFW) for ds because he really needs to understand that he does NOT need to eat ever 5-10-15 minutes! Oi! (And, to those of you thinking about switching, it really is okay. Believe me, they learn way more at home being homeschooled, getting a more viable education, than at most brick and mortar schools.

What's on the schedule today? Here: meeting friends for lunch in a town 45 minutes from here.  :auto:  Good way to start my birthday month! On the way home, or the way there - haven't decided yet, I may stop by an herbal shop that's on the way. Although, honestly, I can't think of anything I really  need from them right now. I do need supplies (not herbs) but I planned on getting those (at a better price) from Amazon.

Are you expecting any phone calls today? Here: just one and it should be GOOD news!

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 2

We school year round pretty much so when I've made changes, it's just as likely to be mid-year as at the "beginning" of a year.  Recently I added some Acellus to the schedule.  It aligns perfectly with dd's enVision math so I'm using it for reinforcement and extra practice for her.   We're also using it for History, along with History Odyssey and projects, Spanish, Geography, and Music.    We were using the Great Courses but my kids didn't like them.

Today I teach my last robotics class for the current session, and will go to kick-boxing tonight.  Then my last Zombie class tomorrow (doing an escape room type thing), CSI and Chemistry Monday and my Winter session is over.  Two weeks off to clean my house, reorganize my supplies (they tend to get a little unorganized during the session as things are put away fully), and prepare for my Spring session.  Then I'm off for the summer since the classroom I use is used by the owner for summer camps.  Based on the enrollment in my Spring session, dh and I will make a decision on whether we want to rent our own space starting next year.

I have to figure out what I'm doing for 4-H Monday as well.  I have some ideas, I just have to pick one and start preparing.

No phone calls, which is good because I really hate talking on the phone.   I really need to make my monthly attempt to call my dad.  They never answer their phone and have some weird phone service/answering machine that doesn't seem to always take a message right.  

• Like 1

Happy March and Welcome to the Lounge!

Today starts my birthday month! Party on, Garth!  :biggrinjester: 

Today's theme stems from the fact that I took the plunge and ordered brand-spankin-new curriculum last night and will be implementing it a short while after it gets here. This is for my ds13. Well, and for me. MFW has done the planning for me and it aligns with what I believe and what I'd like my son to learn. It took me all of the last hour of February to decide to order before prices went up. Glad I did it, though.

Who has switched curriculum mid-year and was GLAD they did it?  Here: me! What we're NOT switching, though, is my daughter's current curriculum OR our Greek curriculum. I am adding in Health curriculum (also from MFW) for ds because he really needs to understand that he does NOT need to eat ever 5-10-15 minutes! Oi! (And, to those of you thinking about switching, it really is okay. Believe me, they learn way more at home being homeschooled, getting a more viable education, than at most brick and mortar schools.

What's on the schedule today? Here: meeting friends for lunch in a town 45 minutes from here.  :auto:  Good way to start my birthday month! On the way home, or the way there - haven't decided yet, I may stop by an herbal shop that's on the way. Although, honestly, I can't think of anything I really  need from them right now. I do need supplies (not herbs) but I planned on getting those (at a better price) from Amazon.

Are you expecting any phone calls today? Here: just one and it should be GOOD news!

Talk to me! :bigear: 

I've never switched things in mid-year. I have ditched things and run off by myself through the library, cackling madly. I've generally been happy when I've done my own thing with curriculum. I hope your new stuff is just what you want and need.

Art and a seed swap is on my list of things to do today. I also have some seeds to order. I have to write today, work on my short synopsis to tighten it up, and I have two query letters to send today.Then there is school and housekeeping.

I'm half-expecting to hear back from an agent today. It's not quite been time, but it's getting toward time. No clue whether that will be good news or another rejection. I'd like good news.

• Like 1

I've switched texts/spines in the middle of the year (or sooner!), but we have never used an all-in-one boxed curriculum, so it was just switching math, or just switching history. 

We have art club with my mom, sister, and aunts today. Everyone my dd is hanging out with today is eligible for AARP  :lol:

What are these phone calls you speak of? Text me! But I'm glad yours should be good news. 

• Like 1

Hi Scrap!   :seeya:

My birthday is in March too. 

I have switched mid-year, but not this year. SOTW 3 was too much for my then 3rd grader. We switched to VP, more American focused Early Modern history and it worked well. We have also moved on to new things when I purposefully plan some things that will not take all year. Sometimes a change in February is great, just because it is February! 

Regular school day and piano lessons here today. See Jean's Tackle thread. It is drippy and wet again. Yucky for trudging out and aboutNot cold though, and many trees and early flowers are blooming. 

I saw bluebirds in our birdhouse this morning! 

No expected calls, but I need to make one to check in on my mom. She is about three weeks out from shoulder surgery and it is a tough recovery for her. Thankfully, she is at home now and can rest and be comfortable. I am very thankful for great medicaal care and follow up. PT, OT, Home health, etc are all great, plus lots of friends who check on her and help with various things around the house.

I was all set to tell you how I haven't switched midyear for a few years, but then I remembered ds15's algebra. It's more of a detour, really. He's taking a break from Saxon and doing Algebra Survival Guide. And I just switched ds14 from 8/7 to 1/2 so we can try the Virtual Homeschool Group online format since I have a horrible time giving immediate or even semi-immediate feedback. Ds12 is finishing up 7/6, and I'll have him do 1/2 instead of 8/7 as planned for the same reason.

Today: Ds14 and ds12 have their enrichment program. Ds18 works and is trying to get in some last minute scholarship applications. Ds14 has a wrestling competition, ds15 has track practice, and ds17 has football practice. I'm currently waiting for ds15 to finish a test to see if he happens to place into College English. I don't know if he will (he's just a freshman), but if he happens to, it opens up some DE options for the fall.

I hope I get no phone calls because I'm not expecting any and I dislike talking on the phone.

• Like 1

Back from my Lunch Bunch outing. It was fabulous! I had a watermelon, arugula, candied walnut, and balsamic vinagrette salad - with a side of steak fries.  :D

The bank still hasn't called. Grr. <_<

Now drinking a Mt. Dew White Label to stave off the "lunch fog." Note to self: next time, skip the fries.

I did get good news from my BFF today, though! She will be joining me at a writers conference come August! Woohoo!  :hurray:

What are you all up to right now?

• Like 1

Happy birthday month, Scrap. 

What town and which shop?

We school year round. I order curriculum twice a year or more. Jason is one a calendar year and the others are on school year. He started 3rd grade in January. I just ordered curriculum for everyone else last week. 

We do a month (roughly) of each subject, then switch. 

I don't like CAP grammar. So disappointing. I felt so inspired by their convention booth, glossy materials, helpful staff. But it just isn't working for us. 

I switched the kids over to daily folders which I love. I used up the workbooks that are lingering about. No more cheap workbooks for us. they are terrible. Good quality workbooks are so cheap. We don't need the awful dollar store ones. bleh. 

B is starting his first Coursera. He's taking forensics from Singapore University. He's one week in and he LOVES it. 

Everyone else is doing ordinary stuff. Explode the Code, handwriting of various types, Spectrum math. Luna is increasing her vocabulary with flash cards and picture books. We are pairing up Story of the World with Crash Course. Kids love it. Everyone is happy. 

I am sick today. I picked up soup and medicine this morning. I have moved from the couch to the bed and now the chair. We ate a snack and watched a movie. Luna is super whiney. Kids have been sitting at the table with 20 minutes of worksheets for 5 hours. I'm super ready for this day to over. 

I'm never expecting phone calls. 

Edited by desertstrawberry5

Strawberry, sorry you're feeling blah and down with the crud. On those days, let the kids watch documentaries, or even Sesame Street. You need to rest as much as possible and fighting with kids to do worksheets is just.not.worth.it. Hope you feel better soon!

I was going to stop by SW Herb in Mesa. But I really don't need herbs right now. What I need are the supplies (read containers) to make the various medicines, salves, sprays, etc. That's cheaper to do on Amazon. So I just came home after lunch instead. Glad I did as I didn't get home until 3pm anyway!

• Like 1

Strawberry, sorry you're feeling blah and down with the crud. On those days, let the kids watch documentaries, or even Sesame Street. You need to rest as much as possible and fighting with kids to do worksheets is just.not.worth.it. Hope you feel better soon!

I was going to stop by SW Herb in Mesa. But I really don't need herbs right now. What I need are the supplies (read containers) to make the various medicines, salves, sprays, etc. That's cheaper to do on Amazon. So I just came home after lunch instead. Glad I did as I didn't get home until 3pm anyway!

Ooh. That does look nice. Especially the bulk teas. There is a place down here that is similar. I haven't been in a while. I might pop by this weekend.