Menu

Do you cook a meal if your DH is not going to be home?

My DH is gone every Tuesday night for orchestra rehearsal (goes straight from work). He has a different rehearsal on Monday night, but he is able to come home first. However, he does not like eating a big meal before a rehearsal, so he just makes himself a light dinner.

He doesn't understand why I don't like cooking a "big" meal if he's not going to be there to eat it. When it's just me and the two kids, I don't like going to all that effort. We usually make/order pizza, or I might make homemade chicken strips. I'm not going to cook a casserole, make spaghetti, etc.

I think that part of this is that he was an only child and his dad is a very picky eater. His mom basically made two separate meals the entire time DH grew up. (not gonna happen here!)

Am I unusual? What do you do?

Before my daughter went away to school, I'd usually cook something a bit more elaborate when my husband wasn't around. These days, though, if it's just my son and me, the odds are pretty good that we'll each just fend for ourselves or that I will do something very simple for him.

In our case, it's not my husband who misses meals, though, by my son (and, by extension, me). He has classes and rehearsals that keep us out at dinner time at least two nights a week.

It depends. My husband is away for the next year and so while I won't cook as I normally would, I will still make some of our normal meals. We'll definitely eat breakfast for supper at least once a week though! :) Something we don't normally do when he's home. My girls are only 6 and 7 and so I have to make something that we can eat leftovers of or freeze for later.

When I had all the kiddoes growing up here, if DH was not going to be home, I cooked, but it was not a meat and potatoes or casserole, More like Mac N cheese, grilled cheese, or eggs and toast.

Now that it's two for tea most of the time around here, I don't cook the way I did when I was cooking for a household of 6 either. We tend to eat lighter, soup and a sandwich or a big salad. DH is really fine with it!