Menu

How to use protein powder?

Night Elf

So I need to get way more protein in my diet. I've purchased protein powder that a friend recommended only he works out seriously about 6 days a week building muscle. I'm just looking for a protein supplement. In what ways can I use this powder. I figure to mix some with skim milk. I've also read I can put it on oatmeal. I know I should probably make smoothies but there's so much that goes into a smoothie and I doubt I'll keep all that fruit around the house unless I buy frozen. But can I mix one banana, skim milk, and powder into a simple drink? That's my second favorite fruit. My first is fresh raspberries but they're so expensive right now! I pay $3.00 for a small container that I can eat in one sitting.

I buy only one kind of greek yogurt that is flavored already. I'm thinking I can buy plain greek yogurt and put the powder in there. Would that work?

You can get a blender bottle that will help dissolve it in liquids—juice, for example. The blender bottle has a stainless spring ball thingy that acts like an agitator when you shake it. My son says ice also helps ensure that it dissolves well. Any GNC or similar store will have blender bottles, and Publix may have them by now as well. My son mixes it with Body Armour drinks (in the Gatorade aisle) or in smoothies.

My husband makes a smoothie with a little frozen fruit (blueberries, peaches and strawberries) defrosted overnight in the fridge, a banana, a couple tablespoons of yogurt, some baby spinach, and a half scoop of Ultimate Muscle Protein Vanilla.  

I put UMP vanilla in my oatmeal every morning. I love this protein powder. You can do a lot with it.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

We rarely use fruit in our smoothies. When we do, the fruit is frozen so it's easy for me to keep around.

We make them with almond milk, protein powder, flax or chia seeds, spinach, avocado and almond butter. But really you can use anything--about a scoop of protein powder to 2 cups of whatever milk you like, plus whatever else you like or want to eat more of. We started making green smoothies after DH had pancreatitis and can no longer handle raw greens, which had been a big part of our diet. In smoothies he has no trouble at all.

You can also put protein powder in pancakes or waffles. I often bulk those up with protein powder, chia seeds, oatmeal and blueberries for days when DS needs something hearty to start his day. The protein keeps him full longer.

• Like 1

I put whey protein powder in my coffee every morning. I need the protein first thing to avoid a sugar crash (took me years to learn about myself) and I cannot be bothered to cook eggs every morning.  So, I just toss my coffee, a dash of milk, some sweetener and a scoop of whey protein powder into the blender. I wizz it around for 15 seconds and breakfast is served.  I have two, so a total of two scoops of powder per day. That usually holds me until late afternoon. I swear that if I could live on that I would, lol. It's just so darn easy.

The scoop in my container is huge! I can't see putting it into my coffee. It would make is sludge. The directions say to mix one scoop with 5-6 oz of liquid. I used 8 oz. skim milk. It wasn't bad but I think I need to add some other stuff to it. So what would you add if you had chocolate peanut butter protein powder?

The scoop in my container is huge! I can't see putting it into my coffee. It would make is sludge. The directions say to mix one scoop with 5-6 oz of liquid. I used 8 oz. skim milk. It wasn't bad but I think I need to add some other stuff to it. So what would you add if you had chocolate peanut butter protein powder?

Frozen raspberries?

A banana and some ice

you don't have to use an entire scoop. You are in charge of you, lol.  The scoop is a suggestion.  I don't use an entire scoop in my coffee for much the same reason. I use half and have two cups of coffee, for a total of one scoop.

I used to make a shake with Chocolate UMP protein powder and chocolate PB2, water and ice. It's like a milkshake. It's great after working outside in the heat or a hard sweaty workout.

you don't have to use an entire scoop. You are in charge of you, lol.  The scoop is a suggestion.  I don't use an entire scoop in my coffee for much the same reason. I use half and have two cups of coffee, for a total of one scoop.

True, but I want the protein and if I did half a scoop, I'd have to do the other half in something else. I can try it in my coffee though. It would be nice if it flavored the coffee chocolatey. I haven't tried the strawberry powder yet. I want to try it in my oatmeal although a strawberry shake would be good.