Menu

January weight gain????? Ideas to stop it??

HollyDay

So, didn't gain any weight at all over the holidays.  I baked, celebrated, ate what I wanted.  And didn't even gain an ounce.  January rolls around.  Go back to usual eating patterns/habit without all the cookies, cakes, candies, etc. and I gain weight.  I really think I could walk past a bakery and gain a pound or 2 mearly by seeing the goodies.  I've noticed this January weight gain has been a pattern the last few years (since perimenopause started and now menopause).  But this year is more than in years past. 

I am under a lot more stress.  Dh was diagnosed with cancer the first week of January.  And all that goes with that......appointments, consults, surgeries, etc.  I've never experienced anything quite like this.  But, I'm trying to keep me as healthy as possible so I can keep going and take care of him and dc.  So, I'm paying extra attention to health, like meal plans and eating habits. 

Quite possibly, I'm not drinking enough water.  Portion control?  My food choices are fine.  I don't need to alter that.  So, what can I do to 1) stop gaining and 2) lose this weight?

• Like 1

Hugs to you. I'm so sorry about your dh's diagnosis and hope he quickly returns to good health. :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I've had the best luck losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight with a whole foods plant-based diet. The book How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease has been a huge help in figuring out the best way for our family to eat.

• Like 1

(hugs)

I know how you feel.  I gained 35 pounds the first time that DH was diagnosed with cancer.  That first year was rough;  too much takeout coming to/from appointments, Starbucks in the hospital lobby, snacks for the kids while waiting on the pharmacy, etc...

Also, stress can mess with weight.  Perhaps you can look into something mindful/relaxing?  Yoga, meditation, Bible reading, journaling?  

My DH is facing a secondary cancer right now (bone marrow transplant coming soon), and I absolutely cannot gain weight like I did before.  I'm focusing on adding the things I mentioned above, as well as walking and weights.  

Best wishes to your DH.  It's a hard road. Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat about it. :)

ETA: pounds, not years (though I feel like I gained years too...)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

(hugs)

I know how you feel.  I gained 35 pounds the first time that DH was diagnosed with cancer.  That first year was rough;  too much takeout coming to/from appointments, Starbucks in the hospital lobby, snacks for the kids while waiting on the pharmacy, etc...

Also, stress can mess with weight.  Perhaps you can look into something mindful/relaxing?  Yoga, meditation, Bible reading, journaling?  

My DH is facing a secondary cancer right now (bone marrow transplant coming soon), and I absolutely cannot gain weight like I did before.  I'm focusing on adding the things I mentioned above, as well as walking and weights.  

Best wishes to your DH.  It's a hard road. Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat about it. :)

ETA: pounds, not years (though I feel like I gained years too...)

Just this morning I was thinking about being more mindful.  I'm always rushing...even when I don't need to be rushing.  I need to live more present, not rushing to the next thing when it isn't necessary (sometimes it is).  I think I've been living in "alarm mode"  to long.

I do pack my own snacks.  I'm gluten free (inflammation not celiac) so most of the "outside snacks"  are not good options for me.  I am drinking more coffee than usual too.

I'm cooking quite a few bigger meals so we have leftovers rather than relying on takeout.  Besides being expensive (lets not talk about medical bills), takeout is not a great option for weight loss.  My Instant Pot has been a big help!

I saw my provider in January.  She said all looked good, but my kidney function is a tad off (hypertension for several years will do that).  So, she said salt is not my friend and drink more water.  That could also be a factor.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with all this too. 

Edited by HollyDay
  • Like 1

How about using an activity tracker?  Jan is not always a month to be very active, and doctor's appts do add in a lot of sitting time.

Also, consider that you are getting older.  Is your B12 and D still where it needs to be?

I do have an activity tracker.  It has been telling me to "breathe" more often than usual :) 

My labs showed B12 was a bit low, not terrible, but taking B12 wouldn't hurt.  D is also low.  Again, not terrible, but I should go back on D.  Thanks for the reminder. 

I'm taking alot of C hoping to keep the flu away.  And my usual turmeric and citrus bioflavonoids. 

Again, thanks for the reminder.  It really helps.

For me it was the combo of menopause hitting at the same time as I started going through a very stressful 18 months.  No matter what I did, I gained weight.  Now that I've learned to manage my stress and the worst of the stress is over, I have leveled off and have started losing it.   I think the combo of those two things just threw my body off balance chemically.  I wasn't even stress eating! At least if I had been stress eating I could have blamed it on that. But yeah, my stress level was due to dh's and MIL's medical issues and it took a toll on me. 

Hope you figure out a fix.  It's super annoying, isn't it? 

:grouphug: You have a lot on your plate. 

• Like 1

For me it was the combo of menopause hitting at the same time as I started going through a very stressful 18 months.  No matter what I did, I gained weight.  Now that I've learned to manage my stress and the worst of the stress is over, I have leveled off and have started losing it.   I think the combo of those two things just threw my body off balance chemically.  I wasn't even stress eating! At least if I had been stress eating I could have blamed it on that. But yeah, my stress level was due to dh's and MIL's medical issues and it took a toll on me. 

Hope you figure out a fix.  It's super annoying, isn't it? 

:grouphug: You have a lot on your plate. 

Stress and Menopause...not a nice combo.....

• Like 2

I've read a recent study that came out that said lack of sun is a reason for winter weight gain. So perhaps getting outside a bit more? It can be helpful if you get outside even briefly really soon after getting up as it helps set your circadian clock, setting you up for better sleep which also mitigates against weight gain. But the decrease in outside hours was postulated in the article. I didn't keep the link but you can probably google it. 

Sorry about your dh. Cancer stinks. And it's a part-time job in itself. 

• Like 1

I've read a recent study that came out that said lack of sun is a reason for winter weight gain. So perhaps getting outside a bit more? It can be helpful if you get outside even briefly really soon after getting up as it helps set your circadian clock, setting you up for better sleep which also mitigates against weight gain. But the decrease in outside hours was postulated in the article. I didn't keep the link but you can probably google it. 

Sorry about your dh. Cancer stinks. And it's a part-time job in itself. 

Not the OP, but...

I know the lack of sunlight screws with me. Right now sunrise isn't until 7 AM and that's noticeably earlier than it was last month. By then I've been up for at least 90 minutes.  On the plus side, at least it's still light at 4:30 when dh and I head to the gym to walk.  

Oddly enough, I sleep better in winter! 

Can't wait until spring when I can be outside for a few hours a day. It's easier to be more active and my skin and hair aren't chapped/brittle.  

Still looking for the study...I'm sure I'll find it soon. Thanks for the info. 

Not the OP, but...

I know the lack of sunlight screws with me. Right now sunrise isn't until 7 AM and that's noticeably earlier than it was last month. By then I've been up for at least 90 minutes.  On the plus side, at least it's still light at 4:30 when dh and I head to the gym to walk.  

Oddly enough, I sleep better in winter! 

Can't wait until spring when I can be outside for a few hours a day. It's easier to be more active and my skin and hair aren't chapped/brittle.  

Still looking for the study...I'm sure I'll find it soon. Thanks for the info. 

Here's one of the write-ups: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/sun-university-alberta-weight-fat-cells-study-1.4483245

• Like 1

I have been struggling with increased stress and Jan/Feb weight gain too. Made it thru the Holidays with no major issues and just was flattened by some major stress in early Jan and haven’t gotten back in control since then. This is after DH lost his job 3 years ago and I gained 30-35 pounds during the subsequent high stress and my stint on antidepressants

I’ve been tracking calories every single day for 10 months in MFP. I had lost 24lbs since last April but gained 5 back since Christmas. I enter every thing I eat and it’s too much. I’m back in “failing every day†but trying to regroup.

Stress is so hard. That’s my contribution. I can’t control the stress eating unless i control the stress. So that’s been my goal. To focus on the eating and nutrition has backfired when my body is screaming with cortisol and adrenaline.

What helps me.... Mindfulness (deep breaths, progressive relaxation and just sitting) helps...noticed when I’m just holding a lot of tension even when sitting or driving (fists clenched, gripping when holding would work). Consciously slowing down- everything. Stress makes me feel like everything is urgent and just needs to happen NOW and as efficiently and speedily as possible...only makes it worse. I just go faster and faster.

In hindsight I see that life has been a blur for 3 years because of my high stress and anxiety. I’ve had PTSD from the the job loss and am triggered frequently by reoccurring financial hiccups. I’ve worked on that too with therapy and EMDR. I don’t want to lose any more time with high stress. Sooooo learning to decompress and de stress is a high priority.

Also I sleep more in winter too but that lends itself to weight gain. LOL. I love the deep sleep but have to find the balance of just enough.

Practically, taking frequent walks and 3x a week intense cardio is super helpful. It makes me feel busier but also helps release that pent up anxiety and stress.

Hugs and prayers to OP and others dealing with health stress.

• Like 2

2 Tablets at a time, 2x a day- Max. If I take it in the AM with coffee, it generally keeps me calmer and more restored feeling- takes the edge off and laves me feeling more cushioned.

2 tablets is 200mg Theanine, 500mg GABA, 300mg Magnesium, 150mg Relora

Source Naturals Serene Science Theanine Serene with Relora, Calm Mind & Body, 120 Tablets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GFHPCU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xjoGAbASD6YYR

I've decided to try intermittent fasting again.  Before the holidays I found I felt better eating for 9 hours and fasting for 15.  I didn't lose much weight, but I felt better.  It seemed my energy levels were more stable and I slept better too.  If I can get the fluid retention is go away, I thik half my battle will be good

• Like 1

I've decided to try intermittent fasting again.  Before the holidays I found I felt better eating for 9 hours and fasting for 15.  I didn't lose much weight, but I felt better.  It seemed my energy levels were more stable and I slept better too.  If I can get the fluid retention is go away, I thik half my battle will be good

Best wishes!

I'm so sorry about your dh, and hope it all goes well!!  If you are near the age of menopause, I'd say that that's probably it more than anything.  I changed absolutely nothing, and suddenly I was putting on more pounds.  Not everyone seems to experience that, but I sure did.  My dh was in the midst of a lot of health problems as well, and I didn't have the energy to make major changes to see slight improvements.

I did discover some fairly simple changes though that did see good improvements.  

1.  I discovered I really didn't need to eat as much as I used to.  I began to "half" lunch.  For example, instead of making myself a full sandwich, I'd start with half.  By the time I was done eating it, I realized I was completely full.  I always gave myself the option of eating the other half -- I wasn't going to starve myself!  But by serving myself half at a time, and eating slowly, I realized that was usually enough.

2.  I began cutting out the extra starch at dinner (not always and not necessarily completely).  But the typical American meal consists of a meat, a starch, and a veggie.  I began substituting that starch with a second veggie.  I also began serving myself slightly smaller portions, and found that I was fine with that.  (Again, allowing myself more if I wanted more, but at least starting smaller.)

3.  Drink only water with my meals and throughout the day, with an occasional coffee and wine.  :)

4.  Drink veggie smoothies.  Sometimes for lunch, or even to replace an afternoon snack (because I tend to nibble all day), I'll have a veggie smoothie instead.  I sweeten it just a bit with some fruit and maybe a little coconut milk, but otherwise use just water as the liquid in it.  Kale, spinach, carrots, celery, mint leaves, even broccoli.  They're actually really good!

5.  I still have a dessert maybe once/day, but I've realized that all I need is a very small sweet to go with my coffee.  :)  (one cookie instead of four!)

6.  I move more.  I walk to the library instead of drive in good weather, I go up and down the stairs whenever possible instead of putting it off, etc.  Wearing a Fitbit really motivates me to get in just a few extra steps.  Crazy as it sounds, it makes me want to take a brisk walk around the block before I go to bed, or take an extra walk around the peripheral aisles of Walmart as I'm shopping, just to reach my step goal.  If you're just starting out with a Fitbit, don't start with 10,000 as your goal.  Start with 5,000, and once you reach that each day, 10,000 automatically becomes much easier.

• Like 3

I'm so sorry about your dh, and hope it all goes well!!  If you are near the age of menopause, I'd say that that's probably it more than anything.  I changed absolutely nothing, and suddenly I was putting on more pounds.  Not everyone seems to experience that, but I sure did.  My dh was in the midst of a lot of health problems as well, and I didn't have the energy to make major changes to see slight improvements.

I did discover some fairly simple changes though that did see good improvements.  

1.  I discovered I really didn't need to eat as much as I used to.  I began to "half" lunch.  For example, instead of making myself a full sandwich, I'd start with half.  By the time I was done eating it, I realized I was completely full.  I always gave myself the option of eating the other half -- I wasn't going to starve myself!  But by serving myself half at a time, and eating slowly, I realized that was usually enough.

2.  I began cutting out the extra starch at dinner (not always and not necessarily completely).  But the typical American meal consists of a meat, a starch, and a veggie.  I began substituting that starch with a second veggie.  I also began serving myself slightly smaller portions, and found that I was fine with that.  (Again, allowing myself more if I wanted more, but at least starting smaller.)

3.  Drink only water with my meals and throughout the day, with an occasional coffee and wine.   :)

4.  Drink veggie smoothies.  Sometimes for lunch, or even to replace an afternoon snack (because I tend to nibble all day), I'll have a veggie smoothie instead.  I sweeten it just a bit with some fruit and maybe a little coconut milk, but otherwise use just water as the liquid in it.  Kale, spinach, carrots, celery, mint leaves, even broccoli.  They're actually really good!

5.  I still have a dessert maybe once/day, but I've realized that all I need is a very small sweet to go with my coffee.   :)  (one cookie instead of four!)

6.  I move more.  I walk to the library instead of drive in good weather, I go up and down the stairs whenever possible instead of putting it off, etc.  Wearing a Fitbit really motivates me to get in just a few extra steps.  Crazy as it sounds, it makes me want to take a brisk walk around the block before I go to bed, or take an extra walk around the peripheral aisles of Walmart as I'm shopping, just to reach my step goal.  If you're just starting out with a Fitbit, don't start with 10,000 as your goal.  Start with 5,000, and once you reach that each day, 10,000 automatically becomes much easier.

These are all great ideas!!!  Thank you!!!!

• Like 1