Menu

Dr. Hive ... strep?

Entropymama

Dd3 had a fever over the weekend, no other symptoms, went away quickly. Ds9 had a fever yesterday and today, headache, sore throat. Ds7 has a fever today, headache, sore throat, and red dots on the roof of his mouth (soft palate). 

We've not had strep in the house before. Should I go get him tested to be sure? Is it okay to ride out without antibiotics? We've had fevers plenty of times, but the red dots are new to me. 

Dd3 had a fever over the weekend, no other symptoms, went away quickly. Ds9 had a fever yesterday and today, headache, sore throat. Ds7 has a fever today, headache, sore throat, and red dots on the roof of his mouth (soft palate).

We've not had strep in the house before. Should I go get him tested to be sure? Is it okay to ride out without antibiotics? We've had fevers plenty of times, but the red dots are new to me.

How high are the fevers? Any coughing? Body aches?

"The most common symptoms of strep throat include:

Sore throat, usually starts quickly and can cause pain when swallowing

A fever

Red and swollen tonsils, sometimes with white patches or streaks of pus

Tiny, red spots (petechiae) on the roof of the mouth (the soft or hard palate)

Swollen lymph nodes in the front of the neck

Other symptoms may include headache, stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting. Someone with strep throat may also have a rash known as scarlet fever (also called scarlatina).

Strep throat symptoms typically do not include:

Cough

Runny nose

Hoarseness (changes in your voice that makes it sound breathy, raspy, or strained)

Conjunctivitis (also called pink eye)

These symptoms suggest that a virus is the cause of the illness."

Edited by Sandwalker

No cough or runny nose. That looks like the same list I looked up - the red spots had me concerned. 

My question is, is strep the kind of thing you can let ride? Or is it necessary to take him in? He doesn't seem too bad, headachy, tired, fever about 101 but goes down with medication. I'm usually a 'let it be' kind of parent when it comes to sickness, but as I said I've never dealt with strep before. 

No cough or runny nose. That looks like the same list I looked up - the red spots had me concerned.

My question is, is strep the kind of thing you can let ride? Or is it necessary to take him in? He doesn't seem too bad, headachy, tired, fever about 101 but goes down with medication. I'm usually a 'let it be' kind of parent when it comes to sickness, but as I said I've never dealt with strep before.

No. Strep is not a let it ride kind of thing. It is bacterial and needs to be treated by antibiotics. It may seem to go away on its own but returns as Scarlet Fever. If you suspect strep, go get him swabbed. They may give you antibiotics for the other two as well. Hope they feel better soon
  • Like 6

Strep is a bacteria that needs antibiotics in children. There's a small chance it can affect the heart. Your little one may not have strep, as for some reason those under 6 years old aren't as susceptible.
  • Like 2

I take my kids in right away when I suspect strep.  The spots would be enough.  My kids haven't had upper respitory symptoms with strep like they have with the flu so now that we've had both a few times, it seems pretty easy to tell them apart.  I've always been right when I suspect strep. 

Hope your kiddo is on the mend quickly!

• Like 2

If the strep test comes back negative ask for a mono test. My ds saw the doc for what he thought was strep--he'd had strep before so knew the symptoms--but it turned out he had mono.

So true! I took my kids in for a strep test and it turned out the oldest had mono, not strep.

Just to add, some kids get nauseated and upchuck too with strep. That was one of the usual symptoms for a couple of mine (all four kids had strep over and over and over until one had his tonsils out - he had been our "carrier".

Had one kid go right into scarlet fever before our doctor appointment - he had not seemed that ill so I wasted a day or two not thinking "strep".