Menu

My class this time around...

SparklyUnicorn

has NO old people.  I am absolutely the oldest student and could be everyone's mother.  LOL

Except the instructor.  Thank Thor she is older.  :laugh:  It is cool to have a female programming instructor!  

Oh well.  So far I like the class.  The topic is more interesting than I thought it would be.  The book is really good.  Which is unusual.

• Like 12

OH MY GOSH, we are twins today. Literally just got home 5 minutes ago from my first English class and told dh that I am the class mom. Only the instructor is older than me, and she's sweet, but kind of awkward, so there's the tiniest sliver of hope.

The class terrifies me. I am not a confident writer. I outsourced my kids writing instruction because I really hate putting words on paper. I asked dh if I could trade sexual favors for him writing my essays but he said no (joke, everyone). Plus, he's going to write the thoughts of a 40-year-old man, not my thoughts.

My physio class is great. All full grown adults.

• Like 7

I've had a couple of classes like that in the past.  I'v had ones where the Professor is much younger than me too.  That's more awkward.  

This semester I'm taking online class so it's less of an issue

One class I took the instructor was (only a bit) younger, but that was a night class so all the students were older (and many older than me).  So that made up for it.  It was a bit odd though.

• Like 1

OH MY GOSH, we are twins today. Literally just got home 5 minutes ago from my first English class and told dh that I am the class mom. Only the instructor is older than me, and she's sweet, but kind of awkward, so there's the tiniest sliver of hope.

The class terrifies me. I am not a confident writer. I outsourced my kids writing instruction because I really hate putting words on paper. I asked dh if I could trade sexual favors for him writing my essays but he said no (joke, everyone). Plus, he's going to write the thoughts of a 40-year-old man, not my thoughts.

My physio class is great. All full grown adults.

Well, you know, you probably have way more experiences to draw from in terms of writing content.  So that's a plus.

• Like 2

I took classes last year to renew my teaching credential. I was always oldest by far--some were in their upper twenties, but that was as close to 51 as anyone got! In my public speaking class we had to introduce ourselves and as I told them that I had kids their age, I mentioned that one of them had been in 3rd grade with my special needs dd! That was weird.

• Like 1

This was my experience at my A & P class today.  Most of these "young people" treated me like I was invisible.  But one nice young lady who sat front and center with me and arrived 10 minutes early like me seems like a really enthusiastic student who is not so "agist."  She actually made eye contact and talked to me.  The professor is a little bit older than me.  She is incredibly boring ... she talks so slow.  But, I am hoping that the class picks up the pace.  I was afraid it would be too hard, but not so much anymore.  

• Like 1

This reminds me of a story that one of my aunts told me a couple of Thanksgivings ago. This aunt is married to my (deceased) dad's brother. She said that her father had died when she was still in high school and her mother had gone back to school for bookkeeping (or some sort of accounting type of certification). Her mother was by far the oldest in the class and many of the students were either dismissive or downright rude to her. One student, who was just a bit older than the others himself as he'd been in the military prior to his college days, was kind and would help her with homework.

After her mother was done with school, my aunt started dating her now-husband, my uncle. Her mother, upon being introduced to him, had nothing but praise for him since he shared the same last name as the kind student from her college days. The student was my dad. (Man, I miss him. That was so the sort of guy he was - nice to everyone. There's a story of how he was umping a baseball game and being screamed at by a dad in the stands. The guy had a heart attack right there and my dad performed CPR on him until the ambulance arrived. The guy lived another day & was able to say his goodbyes before a second heart attack did him in. How many people would do that?)

Sorry for going off on a tangent.  :coolgleamA:  I remember being the youngest in my college class. I'm in awe of you guys taking these classes. I just don't want to do the work anymore!  (LOL at Sassenach's post!)

• Like 3

My DD13’s first friend in her college classes when she started concurrent enrollment last year Had grandchildren her age. I figure that grandma and DD were both feeling really out of place, and started talking to each other :). She still has a lot more friends among non-traditional students than among the “just graduated from high school†group, even a few semesters in.

Edited by Dmmetler2

Also, when I was an undergrad, I had a 60+ yr old dorm mate in the freshman dorm. Her husband had died, and she had never had a chance to go to college, and in her words, would rather be around young folks than old folks. So, she moved into the dorm, got a meal plan, and dove into Learning. She was a really neat person-and there are worse people to have support you when your high school boyfriend broke up with you than someone who has actually lived, loved, and lost.

• Like 5

I'm usually the oldest, unless there's a senior-returning student in my classes. In my grad classes, they're usually ~5-7 years younger. In the undergrad, 10+ years. It's really hit or miss about connecting, last term there was a sophomore girl and a senior returner that I did the best with. (I'm really shy, though!)

My favorite instructors have been ~10 years older than me, one might be a little older than that. 

If I get into med school, I'll ~40 when I finish.

Also, when I was an undergrad, I had a 60+ yr old dorm mate in the freshman dorm. Her husband had died, and she had never had a chance to go to college, and in her words, would rather be around young folks than old folks. So, she moved into the dorm, got a meal plan, and dove into Learning. She was a really neat person-and there are worse people to have support you when your high school boyfriend broke up with you than someone who has actually lived, loved, and lost.

Oh well hey that's kick arse of her to do that!

• Like 1

This was my experience at my A & P class today.  Most of these "young people" treated me like I was invisible.  But one nice young lady who sat front and center with me and arrived 10 minutes early like me seems like a really enthusiastic student who is not so "agist."  She actually made eye contact and talked to me.  The professor is a little bit older than me.  She is incredibly boring ... she talks so slow.  But, I am hoping that the class picks up the pace.  I was afraid it would be too hard, but not so much anymore.  

Yeah just the instructor chats me up.  I don't mind this at all though.  Seems nobody really talks to each other much unless they seem to know each other.