Menu

Do I need twerking lessons or is there a better way?

amo_mea_filiis.

In the gym, for just about every exercise, my butt needs to go back more. Seriously, every single time a coach looks my way it’s “good job, get that butt back more.â€

In PT, he’s constantly telling me to stick my butt back more (gym is heavy squats or variations. PT is hip focused).

My knees apparently go way over my toes. Correcting it burns, but not a bad burn (verified form by PT). Even squatting with a ball on the wall, PT has me walk my feet out quite a bit so I’m sitting instead of whatever I’m doing.

I can’t correct without being told to do so, so it feels like I’m sticking my butt out.

So other than learning to twerk, how can I work on hips/butt back?

Yep, twerking is the answer. LOL Maybe Mylie Cyrus has a work out video.  LOL EWWWWW!

Honestly, you just need to practice and change your posture.  One thing to concentrate on is that when you are sitting, you are sitting on your sitz bones and working on your hamstrings.  Here is a bit of info on it. This is just a random blog that I skimmed, I can't say this information is absolutely correct but aligns well with my PTs recommendations.  You also may want to look in to pelvic floor exercises, it is all very connected in the musculatures in the area.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-31/how-to-avoid-dormant-bottom-syndrome-lazy-bum/7801468

Haha! Dead butt syndrome!

I think part of the answer is working my butt. Squats outside of PT still overuse quads, but are getting better. In PT I can get a slight hamstring burn, but never in my butt. My poor booty needs some attention.

Yep, twerking is the answer. LOL Maybe Mylie Cyrus has a work out video. LOL EWWWWW!

Honestly, you just need to practice and change your posture. One thing to concentrate on is that when you are sitting, you are sitting on your sitz bones and working on your hamstrings. Here is a bit of info on it. This is just a random blog that I skimmed, I can't say this information is absolutely correct but aligns well with my PTs recommendations. You also may want to look in to pelvic floor exercises, it is all very connected in the musculatures in the area.

Sitting is a HUGE problem. 1- that’s when I feel the most pain in (what we’re pretty sure is) the SI joint. 2- I’m short, 5’1â€. In order to sit properly, I’d need a stool. So sitting on chairs, toilets, whatever, and my legs are hanging. I will work on sitting on a ball at home more, but that still hurts the SI joint (PT adjusts this almost every visit).

I’m either standing, sitting/reclining on the couch with feet up, or walking around. I try not to sit sit for too long or my back is dead.

I have this problem too.  I'm guessing your overall core is a bit weak.  Your transverse and oblique abs help stabilize your SI joint. Your deep glutes are also part of the process.  Since I'm not strong enough overall to keep a good form on certain exercises, I'm working on building my core, and then also utilizing thera-bands and TRX straps.

The gym might be hard to do this, but easily you could ask your PT to take a cell video with your phone of before and after correction.

Sometimes it just helps to see it.

Maybe you could post it here! Ha!!!

That’s a good idea! Not the posting part though! Lol!

Though I fully admit to not minding my PT’s hands-on corrections!

After being tortured by him today with banded 15 second hold clam and reverse clam, 5-10 second hold squats, and some assisted with his hands and a strap leg raises ( he used the strap to pull out my femur a bit to reduce the back pain while leg raising), I go to the gym to see power snatches and 7 minutes burpees. 😱

(I did 40 burpees on a 26†box, then 40 on a 30†box. 80 in 7 minutes! The coach said I was allowed to check off my push up challenge for the day! Lol)

Now I’m off to soak in the remainder of my lavender epsom salt in a steamy bath.

• Like 1

I have this problem too. I'm guessing your overall core is a bit weak. Your transverse and oblique abs help stabilize your SI joint. Your deep glutes are also part of the process. Since I'm not strong enough overall to keep a good form on certain exercises, I'm working on building my core, and then also utilizing thera-bands and TRX straps.

Separately, and in theory, my core is strong. PT describes it as the parts not communicating. But when evaluating, each can do more than they can together. He spends half the session laughing/confused because I can’t do A without pain in the wrong spot, but C is too easy and he ups the weight or band.

I know my arse is weak! It has to be. That compensation is part of why my squats are so off. Too quad heavy, knees over toes, etc.

I just added a no squat no lunge butt workout to my push up challenge. We’ll see how that goes.

(I realize this all sounds like a ton, but it’s not. PT plus CrossFit is tiring, but it’s all modified, like the box burpees, or bar only on the snatches. I’ll sleep hard!)

That YouTube link wouldn’t load, so I searched and watched a bunch. :)

I’ll have to get my PT doing some of them because I couldn’t do most things. I can do the bridges, but that’s about it.

I used a 45lb plate for squats this morning and it wasn’t bad. My legs are tired, but no crazy quad pain or anything. The coaches also gave me alternate shoulder exercises for the shoulder blade stabilization.

When I see my PT on Monday, I’m going to ask him to create a home plan with me so I’m not constantly adding stuff like I am now. Tue, Thur one plan for no PT. Then another for days I can’t make the gym and don’t have PT.

It sounds like you have a sway back. So you are normally thrusting your hips forward. When you were young, did your mother tell you not to stick your butt out?

When you do squats, and really any bending exercise, you should be sticking your butt way out. I have lordosis and big butt that sticks out all the time, and I still had to learn to stick it really out and lean forward to do proper squats. They don't hurt my knees anymore, and they are my favorite. 

Ask your PT specifically for exercises to do at home to reposition your hips. And yes, twerking would be good for you. Gaining flexibility in the pelvic area should be a goal.