Menu

Traveling to Tokyo.... ADVICE??

FriedClams

I'm thinking of taking my daughter to Tokyo. (I feel insane typing that!) Just the two of us. First ever trip to Asia. We've done a few trips to Europe and are fairly experienced travelers. Any advice specific to Asia/Tokyo?? I'd love to stay in a traditional Japanese hotel and I'm researching those. Maybe a 6-7 day stay. Winter visit. We just want to experience culture, shop a little, eat local, hit a couple historical sites. We're very laid back and not "cover the country in a week" travelers.

• Like 1

There is so much to do and see, it is hard to recommend anything in particular.  We are Studio Ghibli lovers but also had younger kids (and this might be a day trip), my hubby loved driving Mario karts (you need an international driver's license for that), the view from either of the Tokyo or Skytree Tower is absolutely breathtaking, food is wonderful anywhere (we love the little holes in the wall), and shopping is phenomenal (and I usually do not like to shop).

Some people speak English, particularly the younger generation but are often shy about it.  It happened more than once to us that people simply made us follow them or do something for us rather than tell us when our Japanese ran out and their English would not go far enough.  They will do their very best to help you in whatever way they can. 

My own personal favorite activity was to ride the trains and just watch people (make sure they don't notice you looking, it's considered rude) and take in the sights and sounds.  

No cell phones on the trains, no blowing your nose in public, no eating or drinking while walking.  Most bigger stores accept cards, smaller places run on cash, we always carried quite a bit.  People line up to board the trains; there will be markings on the ground and depending what kind of train it is, the door will line up exactly with those markings.

Walk on the left, walk on the left... When crossing the road, look to the right first.

We just moved back to the US from Japan and miss it very much.  Tokyo is a wonderful city, you and your daughter will have a great time.

• Like 1

I would go to the Edo-Tokyo museum, an onsen, Meiji shrine and a garden. I like Sankei-en garden, but that's in Yokohama. There are also shrines where you can do a fake climb of Mt. Fuji. They're called fujizaka. My girls like Hachiko and from there you can see the Shibuya shuffle.

As far as food, any local noodle shop will be good. The bakeries are awesome. The department store supermarkets have bento boxes that are yummy and interesting.

If you have trouble, there will always be someone who can help you navigate.

Edited by flyingaway

what my niece learned the hard way going to more rural/traditional japan where they dont' get a lot of americans. - she and her dh both speak some japanese.

when you are full, leave a bit of food on your plate.   if you clean it, they think you're still hungry and will bring you more.   so, throw that american "finish everything on your plate to be polite" out the window.   she felt like she was going to burst.

• Like 1

I have not been to Japan but DH and DD went.  They spent more time in Kyoto than in Tokyo--and want to go back to Kyoto.

I don't know how much the olympics in Korea next month might impact flights or tourists from other parts of the world also visiting Japan while in Korea.

• Like 1

February is plum blossom season. Not only can you see the flowers, but there are also special seasonal foods that feature plum seasoning. One year McDonalds had plum blossom seasoned fries. You can get plum blossom chips in a convenience store. Oh, and be sure to eat an onigiri from 7/11. We miss them.

• Like 2