Menu

Art curriculum?

RosieGamgee

Looking to invest in a good art curriculum for the whole family.  I have ages 10, 7, 5, 2 and they are all already active independent artists.  They've always had access to a variety of mediums and free experimentation, and we have the art appreciation part down.  I feel they would benefit from some formal instruction, though, to give them tools and skills.  So far I've collected a view books on teaching art but I'm not really wowed by any of them yet.  I've looked into Atelier and ARTistic Pursuits but I'm just not sure.  Anyone have experience with good art programs?  any programs I haven't heard of?  thoughts on the programs I've mentioned?

We have used Artistic Pursuits since my kids were in early elementary. Overall, I like that it has some art appreciation woven into the lessons. When we got to drawing, my dad (a retired graphic artist) took over on the lessons. I suppose we would  have been okay without him but I felt like they needed some more guidance and he was willing.  

I have the older version of the books so we have done all three K-3 books, one of the 4th-6th books (book 1), and now we are doing Book 1 of the newer series (6th-8th).  Be aware that they reworked those--so there is no longer a 4th-6th series. I think there is a 4th/5th and a 6th-8th now. The 4th/5th replaces the 4th-6th and the 6th-8th replaces the old junior high books.  I found that confusing. 

• Like 1

I am far, far, far from an artist but we've really liked Artistic Pursuits for PreK through 8th. I feel like it's given my kids real art instruction and not just "crafts" to do but at the same time it's not overwhelming for me as a teacher who doesn't know what she's doing. ;)

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...